Production phase started!
its been a year since we started to work on the project and its been some time since we posted an update. I hope this one will make it up for you.
First the bad news:
We've built 4 prototypes of the initial project and we've been testing it a lot. It turns out the turbines work fine, but after calculating all the materials and labour we were way over budget. We needed to make a step back and redesign the whole thing.
Another bad thing is that in order to deliver the energy in a efficient way we NEED MPPT controller which wasn't a part of the original plan. The current solution we used for testing is way too expensive (over $1k) so we also needed to come up with something cheaper.
Now the good news:
For the past month we were able to finalise the redesign of all mechanical parts.
This took us some additional time but with the know-how we've acquired during the project it turns out we were able to do it quite efficiently. In fact we're so sure of the current design that we've gone to the production phase. This means we setup an installation of 12 3D printers that work 24/7 building the blades for your turbines. Here is a little sneak peak.
We've calculated that we need around 30-40 days to 3D print all the blades we need to deliver.
Here is a photo of the 3D printed blades - this is full helix blade, 1,2 meters height, consisting of 4 modules, expandable up to 2,4 meters height just by adding more modules (up to 8) and creating a double helix.
As for MPPT electronics - we can't rely on the off the shelf solution due to pricing issue so we're designing our own - simple, efficient, connected and opensourced. We should be ready with the PCB and software part before we finish production of all mechanical parts, including 3D printed blades. It looks like both dates will align quite close to each other and you can expect your turbines to be delivered November - December.
Expect some more videos next week. Cheers!