Our Shared Forest is Lensational’s first Photo Book shedding light on women’s untold stories surrounding nature, environmental degradation and climate change 🌍
With your help, we will be covering printing costs for Our Shared Forest, and raising awareness of women's role in climate action 💪
Our Shared Forest features the work of 27 women photographers from Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and China on the themes of nature, the environment, and climate change. These women photographers stand at the forefront of environmental issues today, however, their imagery is rarely seen, and their perspectives are rarely heard.
Together, the photographers unveil women’s unique role as stewards of our natural resources, and celebrate female heroes, who are already reinventing traditional roles and using their position to drive change.
'Through the power of their images, the women in this book are granting us a glimpse into their daily lives and hearts. A deeper connection and understanding of what water and food scarcity, waste and pollution mean for those who live on the frontlines, with no buffer between their basic needs and environmental degradation.' Nicole Schwab, Director of International Relations, Last Wild Places, National Geographic Society and author of the preface of Our Shared Forest.
Understanding women’s perspectives on the environment will prove key in adapting to climate change.
For millennia, women have interacted most closely with natural resources. Today, this unique role puts women at greater risk of harm from degradation and climate change - it also means they hold the key to climate action.
Building on the eco-feminist tradition and the literature on gender and the environment, Our Shared Forest champions women’s perspectives on the topic - behind, and in front of the camera.
Sample book design
Our Shared Forest features the work of 27 women photographers from Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, and China. They are:
- Phuntsok Dolkar, China
- Misper Apawu, Ghana
- Florence Geyevu, Ghana
- Leina Lalaito, Kenya
- Victoria Akeere, Nigeria
- Esther Ofoegbu, Ghana
- Tokini Pepple, Nigeria
- Florence Achieng Lorenza, Kenya
- Maria Okese, Nigeria
- Baribiae Nwiyee, Nigeria
- Tamara Dan-Asisah, Nigeria
- Susan Apondi, Kenya
- Doreen Ntumy, Ghana
- Fibi Adikour Afloe, Ghana
- Naresia Sayore, Kenya
- Violet Maxwell Benson, Nigeria
- Joyce Nduguaya, Kenya
- Pema Tsetso, China
- Bumo, China
- Ngamama Leiyaro, Kenya
- Mary Baari, Kenya
- Cindy James, Kenya
- Maiyan Keuwa, Kenya
- Esther Katamboi, Kenya
- Noonguta Kone, Kenya
- Lillian Keuwa, Kenya
- Naata Kone, Kenya
All 27 photographers belong to Lensational's network of over 800 women photographers in Asia and Africa.
Our Shared Forest is curated by Lensational photographer and curator Hannah Wilson, and features text by Hannah Wilson, Bonnie Chiu, and Lucile Stengel of Lensational. Commissioning, curation, and editing work for the book have been co-funded by Lensational and Storyblocks.
The book's preface is written by Nicole Schwab, Director of International Relations, Last Wild Places, at the National Geographic Society, author of The Heart of the Labyrinth, and founder of the EDGE certified Foundation.
Lensational’s partners and mentors in Ghana, Nigeria, and Kenya who help nurture and grow photographers on the ground have also been key to this project. They are Susty Vibes in Port Harcourt; the Mathare Foundation in Nairobi; the Global Environmental Institute & Half Light in China; Lydia Kiwandi and the International Fund for Animal Welfare in Kenya, and Francis Kokoroko, Juliane Reissig, Kickstart Ghana and Women Techmakers in Accra and Ho.
Lensational is an award-winning non-profit organisation training the next generation of women photographers and storytellers from the margins, at the frontline of women’s issues worldwide.
Lensational provides women and girls with photography training, marketing and sales support in 23 countries across Asia and Africa. It aims to empower underrepresented women to share their stories, and to provide a global platform for their stories to be seen and heard.
Lensational is youth-led and almost entirely volunteer-run, employing a network of over 100 volunteers in 15 countries.
The work of Lensational's photographers is available for sale in digital and print format on Lensational's photography website, photos.lensational.org.
- Lensational photographer & domestic helper Leeh Ann Hidalgo wins Resolution Foundation Fellowship in Hong Kong
- Lensational photographer & domestic helper Joan Pabona wins Photographer of the year, The 17th Annual Gawad Amerika Awards
- Lensational photographer & domestic helper Joan Pabona wins runner up at 2017 National Geographic Wheelock Youth Competition
- Lensational's Film with Rainbow Collective, Daughters of Bangladesh, wins Storyteller award at the United Nations SDGs Action Awards in Bonn, Germany
- Lensational debut film screening - Daughters of Bangladesh - at the Frontline Club
- Lensational CEO Bonnie Chiu selected as one of Europe's Forbes 30 under 30
- Lensational CEO Bonnie Chiu wins Asian Women of Achievement Award
- Lensational wins Hivos Social Innovation Award
- Lensational wins First Runner Up Project Award at SIGEF Geneva
- The Sun - Lensational photographer & domestic helper Joan Pabona's solo exhibition kicks of women's month
- Gineers Now - The Social Impact of Lensational: Social Change Via Photography
- The New Lens - 菲傭攝影師拍下香港「孤獨」的一面：「這是我的內心倒影」
- The Guardian - Altered images: photography as a tool for gender equality
- The Guardian - Domestic workers in Hong Kong, what being a migrant means to me
- Mashable - This startup uses photography to empower women around the world
- South China Morning Post - Behind the lens: Hong Kong domestic helpers discover their hidden talent for photography
- South China Morning Post - Social enterprise shows photography can be an effective tool for empowering women
- ABC News - Lensational: Initiative aims to empower marginalised women through photography
- Reuters - A stumbling block to growth trips up companies trying to do good
- Live Mint - Between Two Lenses
- Express Tribute - Lensational - A click of hope
- Hknet - 90後中大生助弱勢婦女學攝影 賣相幫補家計
- Third Sector - Up and coming Bonnie Chiu
- Une Année de Couture - Remarkable Lensational
- Entrepreneur Europe - These 30 International Entrepreneurs Really Are Solving the World's Problems
Support Our Shared Forest 📢📢📢
Our Shared Forest is ready for publication! We have finalised curating photographs and editing the book. With your help, we will be covering our printing costs, selling our first copies, and achieving our goal of raising awareness of women’s stories surrounding the environment and climate change.
Please explore the rewards we are offering below and donate. No matter how much or how little you contribute, your help is much needed in raising awareness of a cause, which holds the key to our future!
Please share this project and website with your friends, family and colleagues!
Reward postcard options
Risks and challenges
We have been working on this book for the past year, and have already finalised the design and editing process! All there is left in order to get it on your shelf is printing the book, and shipping it. This is an easy process, which we are accustomed to, having sold photographs around the world.
We also have a dedicated marketing and communications team working directly with our customers to fulfil sales orders. They will be liaising very closely with you, and will let you know promptly should any delays arise!
- (30 days)