In this interactive 360 film, "you" play a puppet detective, solving a comedic murder mystery starring a cast of puppets. This choose-your-own-adventure video, shot in live action (not CG or 3D), will be viewable on the web on YouTube and Facebook, or on your phone, and on headsets like Google Cardboard, Oculus Rift, and wherever else you'd like us to post it. The end product will be available for free, but as a backer, you get early access, additional clues, and exclusive content.
- Play it on YouTube, Facebook, or a smartphone!
- You're the star of the story! Choose from five possible endings.
- Keep watching and re-watching to pick up on more clues.
- Keep in mind the nearest clues might be behind you!
- Short on cash but long on time? Become a playtester for free!
- Easier to solve than Carmen Sandiego, guaranteed.
- 99% of backer funds go towards paying the puppeteers, paying for puppet building materials, and paying the crew. 1% goes to camera rental.
In this light hearted locked-room murder mystery, you watch the murder happen once from your own perspective, then question each witness to hear (and see) how they remember the scene in order to solve the crime. But watch out! Each witness remembers things a little differently, and not every puppet is a reliable narrator. Choose from five exciting endings, or more if we meet our stretch goals. It's The Great Muppet Caper meets Rashomon meets Clue meets Phantasmagoria.
In case you're wondering, the camera doesn't move, and no, this is not stereoscopic 3D. That said, we hope to support 3D audio on platforms that allow it. We plan for the experience to be about 30 minutes long, depending on how many witnesses the player questions, and how many repeat viewings one opts into before making an accusation.
The Budget Breakdown
- Puppets $250 ea x 6 $1500
- Puppeteers $350 ea x 2 $700
- Crew $200 ea x 2 $400
- Food $12 pp x 5 $60
- Camera & Light Rental $400
- Rental Mics $30
- Post Production $1600
- Sound Design 10% of Budget $550
- Wrap & Premier Party $800
- Kickstarter Fees (3%) & Rewards Fulfillment $1990
- June-September 2018: Play testing, pre-production, puppet builds
- October 2018: Video shoot, crime scene photo clues delivered
- November - December 2018: Post Production and Sound Design
- January 2019: Wrap party, Custom Google Cardboard delivery, props and letters delivered, early online access
- March 2019: Premier Party
- Late March 2019: Available to the general public
- Digital rewards will be delivered in October 2018, just after the video shoot.
- Physical rewards arrive in January 2019, or earlier, as they become available.
Risks and challenges
Writing the correct tone is an exciting challenge - it’s a murder mystery, but if kids are going to watch it we don’t want to give them nightmares. Ultimately, we've decided the story is appropriate for ages 12 and up, with parental discretion advised.
Shooting in 360 presents some challenges. We want the footage to be high quality and look nice, but in order to design for mobile, there's a limit on file size. We've promised to design across platform to make the project as accessible as possible, but this introduces a longer post production time as we submit to different platforms.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)