AR-K is an homeage to the classic point-and-click story game with a updated twist. Dialogue and puzzles are the catalysts that move you through the world of the AR-K, an apparent utopia floating in space, filled with mystery, humor, and suspense.
You control Alicia, an ex-cop turned journalism student who wakes up following a one-night stand with a terrible hangover and a lot of questions. How much did she drink? Did she really take that guy home with her? What was his name again? And what, exactly, is the Golden Sphere, the mysterious object that seems the source of all Alicia’s woes? And what was that guy’s name again?
Episode One of AR-K is now available for free on iOS, Android, PC and MacOS. We hope you try it out so you know what you are contributing to. You can download it from our web site www.gatosalvajestudio.com/english
Each subsequent episode builds on the previous, with layers of intrigue, satire, romance and comedy. Playable in sequence or individually, the episodes are available in English, Spanish and Italian (subtitled), but we plan to include more languages.
Right now, we’re almost finished with Episode Two. Episodes Three and Four are being written at this moment, but we need your support and feedback in order to complete the saga.
Reviews for Episode I of AR-K:
www.strike-games.com: " Remarkable, with a complex plot and exceptional humor"
www.vandal.net : "Ar-K is a very promising project that leaves us wanting more"
www.Meristation.com: "Amazing voice acting"
www.mundogamers.com: "A game without a big budget behind it, but clearly demonstrating that the idea is, above all else, king."
For Episodes Three and Four, the team at Gato Salvaje has brought aboard Greg Rucka, one of the most acclaimed comic-book writers and novelists in America. His credits include work at DC Comics (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) as well as Marvel (Spider-Man, Wolverine, Elektra, the Punisher), and a raft of award-winning creator owned books from Oni Press (Whiteout, Queen & Country, Stumptown). His novels - including the Atticus Kodiak series, as well as the recently released ALPHA -have been translated into over a dozen languages. We’re especially delighted to be working with him because of his renown for writing such terrific women - Wonder Woman, Elektra, Renee Montoya, Sasha Bordeaux, Batwoman, and Tara Chace, to name only a few.
Greg´s past video game work is also exemplary: In 2007 he provided the story for Syphon Filter: Logan´s Shadow for PSP, which was considered by IGN the PSP Game of the Year.
We believe that the story is the most important element for a good graphic adventure. But to tell that story you need to count on good acting, and excellent voice work. We are extremely proud of the voice work in the Spanish version of AR-K, but we want to reach even higher for our English edition.
Starting with Episode Two, we are delighted to announce that Ash Sroka, the woman who voiced Tali’Zorah vas Normandy in the Mass Effect Trilogy, will be our hero, Alicia. Her amazing talent and lovely voice will bring Alicia’s humor, wit, and drive to life in a new, and wonderful, way.
We have turned to Kickstarter to help fund the final two episodes of the game. The Kickstarter community has been integral in a new rise within the point-and-click era, and we are excited to be a part of it. The team behind Gato Salvaje is composed of creative, talented and ambitious artists, dedicated to creating a captivating game world. Our goal is to complete all four episodes of AR-K at the highest quality possible, and with your help, we will be able to:
- Produce the third and fourth episodes of AR-K: employees, translations, licenses, localizations… Publishing a graphic adventure ain’t cheap!
- Localize the game in more languages: Current plans include in both German and French, alongside with subtitles for Italian, Russian and Portuguese.
- Adapt the game for the visually impaired on PC and MacOS. This one’s important to us! We want AR-K to be playable by everyone who wants it. We feel that a standard edition, playable by all - including the visually impaired - should be industry standard, not “exceptional.”
- Improve the quality of the animations and scenarios for an even richer experience.
We’ve completed half of AR-K already, and thus far, our work has been entirely self-financed. Your Kickstarter pledge will help us finish what we’ve begun, and, crucially, make our work available to the largest possible audience.
Gato Salvaje is an independent video game start-up based in La Coruña, Spain, founded in 2010. The company founders have always loved good stories and memorable characters. Some of their all-time favorite games include classics such as The Secret of Monkey Island, Full Throttle and Space Quest. AR-K reaches back to this rich tradition, and seeks to provide players a rich point-and-click alternate universe, filled with surprises and plot twists that wait around every corner.
Our team is made up of six professionals:
Sergio Prieto: Founder and CEO of the Company. An avid 3D Animator and Writer, Sergio holds a Master in 3D Animation from the MA ISCA, the first master’s program for 3D Animation in Europe. He worked for Dygra Films, a Spanish computer animation studio, before setting up the Gato Salvaje Studio with Javier Vara.
Javier Vara, Founder and 3D Modeler Director. A professional 3D Animator and Character Designer, Javier holds a Master in 3D Animation from the MA ISCA, where he and Sergio first met. Like Sergio, he too worked for Dygra Films before leaving to start Gato Salvaje and work on AR-K.
Victor Guerra: Concept Artist. A talented Illustrator and Graphic Designer, Victor has worked as a freelance for many well-known projects.
Ana Bilbao: Post-Production. Ana has a Bachelor Degree with honors in Audiovisual Communication from the University of Salamanca. She has also worked for Dygra Films.
Amina Abdien: Unity Layout. Amina has always been a huge fan of adventure games and has helped to translate AR-K’s rich 3D animation universe into a unique gaming experience.
Fernando Prieto: Producer. Fernando has a BA in Business Administration with honors from the C.U.N.E.F. of Madrid. He has also worked as the Managing Director of the Caixa Galicia Foundation in La Coruña.
Risks and challenges
1. AR-K is half produced. It is an episodic point and click adventure, with the first episode released and the second nearing complete. We are already working on the third and fourth episodes. Funding will ultimately dictate the quality and speed of these releases.
2. We are a small team; there's always a risk a member may need to leave for personal reasons, which would delay the game's launch. Being a tight-knit team does mean we're all personally invested, and the chance of this seems very low.
3. Porting to multiple platforms means we may experience technical problems which would delay the release of an episode on a specific platform. Fortunately, having the first episode complete and available means we've already experienced some of these possible issues and know how to deal with them quickly and efficiently.
- (32 days)