About this project
"It's games like this that need our support because it pushes the envelope for AAA games." - Indie Games Magazine
"It becomes just this mash of everything that was awesome while reinventing it and it just looks so much fun to me." - Eight and a Half Bit Podcast
Did you ever play Super Metroid and wish you could take off in your spaceship and visit some other planets? Do you love vintage arcade games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Joust, Missile Command, Defender, Lunar Lander, Sinistar, Gravitar and Centipede SO MUCH that you wish you could play them all at once? Do you love transforming robots, but get tired of the fact that they tend to be limited to 2 or 3 forms?
Mechagami will solve ALL of these problems! As you discover the secrets of your tiny solar system, you’ll unlock new forms for your giant robot and upgrades to each form. Each form and upgrade incorporates mechanics from classic arcade games. You can smoothly shift from one form to another to respond to the various threats and puzzles you'll encounter on your mission.
ROBOT MODE: Your starting form lets you run, jump, and stomp on enemies. You'll eventually upgrade it with a laser sword, force shield, and jetpack! That's right, a metroidvania WITHOUT a double-jump! The jetpack works more like an infinijump.
TANK MODE: The first alternate form you unlock. At first you can only shoot upwards, which is perfect for repelling invaders from space. Your plasma cannon is the strongest projectile in the game, especially after you power it up with energy collected from fallen enemies. You'll soon upgrade it to fire sideways, hover, and use a powerful charge beam that is even capable of unfreezing carbonite!
MISSILE LAUNCHER MODE: The stationary missile launcher fires up to three missiles at a time at any angle. Missiles explode once they reach their target location, which is great for taking out large groups of weak enemies. Missiles also pass through reflective shields that otherwise reflect your projectiles back at you. You can upgrade your missiles' explosion size, and even replace them with an instantaneous death-ray!
ROCKET MODE: The rocket ship can fly, but requires fuel to do so. Luckily killing giant space insects is a great way to get fuel! Your blaster is perfect for breaking large asteroids into smaller asteroids. You can upgrade the rocket with better engines and weaponry
SAUCER MODE: In saucer mode you can hover and travel almost anywhere without using fuel. It's perfect for careful maneuvering in tight spaces. It has a powerful laser that can only be fired forward. What upgrades will you find for it? THAT IS A SECRET!
Mechagami is being made using only free tools including FlashDevelop, Adobe Flex SDK 4, Flixel, Flixel Power Tools, DAME, Paint.net, sfxr, and Audacity. It's a great time to be a game developer! However, I need your help to remain able to work on Mechagami full-time.
- The entire game engine (the extra stuff specific to the game, I'm using Flixel as the core engine),
- All transformation forms
- All but one of the upgrades
- About half of the enemies
- Three of five weapon upgrade tiers
- One boss fight. Octomom!
- The Desert world of Osirus, home to ancient alien ruins.
- The Barren Moon Ereshkigal, home of top-secret tech labs.
- About half of the thriving colony world of Gilgamesh, home of green plants, blue skies, tall buildings, and underground caverns of mystery!
- The living tree world, Yggdrasil. Including layout design and pixel art.
- The final Space Dungeon, located inside the hungry maw of a sinister cosmic beast!
- Bug fixes. So many bug fixes.
- Many new enemies, including the Cyborg Dinosaurs.
- Three more boss fights (including the Giant Enemy Crab)
- One upgrade for the saucer
- Weapon upgrade tiers for the saucer and robot forms
- Music for each world, boss fight, and for outer space.
- Refining the "asteroids" sections of the game
- Save system
- Refining the star map/navigation system
- Slope detection
- Option for remapping the game controls
- Intro and main menu
- Ending and credits
- Backer rewards credit section
- More in-game instruction text
- Blowing up Pluto
$7,000 - ALL NEW ART! A new artist will be hired to replace and improve existing art and animation. Backers will have the opportunity to vote on potential artists and styles.
$9,000 - ORIGINAL COMPOSER! A composer will be hired to create music specifically for Mechagami. Backers will have the opportunity to vote on potential composers and music styles.
$15,000 - ADDITIONAL CONTENT!
- Boss Rush, Time Attack, and New Game+ modes
- Explore the mysterious Gas Giant: Marduk.
- Explore the Icy and Oceanic world of Tiamat.
- Explore the Violently Volcanic planet Orcus.
- Easter egg: True historical facts about the games that inspired Mechagami will be hidden throughout the game in the form of Scrolls of Arcadian Lore. It's Educational!
- Easter egg: Something Secret!
- More Art & Music!
Joe is an independent game developer from Madison, Wisconsin. In 2008 his indie-game Chronotron was selected to be part of the Penny Arcade Expo's PAX 10 along with 9 other rad game projects. Chronotron was also nominated for awards by Jay is Games and Addicting Games. He worked as a game developer at Three Rings Design, Inc (Part of SEGA Holdings, USA). Joe has an extensive background in Educational Game Design, making games for clients like the World Anti-Doping Association, Miller Brewing, and the University of Minnesota Center for Transportation Studies. He graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee way back in 2003.
Hi. I'm Joe Rheaume. In 2008 I made a hit Indie-game called Chronotron that was part of the Penny Arcade PAX 10, and was nominated for awards by Jay is Games and Addicting Games. I'm here to kickstart my new game, Mechagami.
For the past year I've been developing Mechagami, a 2D science-fiction adventure game that combines Metroidvania mechanics with an homage to classic arcade games.
You pilot a giant robot capable of transforming into vehicles that control like the protagonists from classic arcade games. Unlock new forms as you explore an open solar system filled with giant bugs, killer robots, alien ghosts, and cyborg dinosaurs. find optional upgrades to further expand on the powers and abilities of your forms, and charge up your shields and weapons by gathering power from fallen foes.
In your adventures, you'll:
- Fight off Invaders from Space!
- Command a Missile launcher!
- Destroy Asteroids!
- Become a Defender of worlds!
- Land on Lunar surfaces!
- Break Out of alien ruins!
- Joust with a laser sword and jet pack!
- Stomp bad guys.
- Discover secrets
- Sequence break!
- Read Stories in Caves
- Battle Sinister space monsters
- Storm a Star Castle.
- Blow up Pluto!
- AND MORE!
Up until now, this project has been entirely self-funded, but I need your help to continue development. I'm not asking for much, as so much of the game is done already. But my savings are dry, and without your help, I'll have to put Mechagami on the back-burner.
Let's talk Stretch Goals!
The first stretch goal will be to hire an artist and animator, as my pixel art could definitley be improved upon.
The second goal will be to hire an actual composer, instead of just buying a licenses to royalty-free music.
Finally, there is much more content that could be added to make Mechagami even more fun - new game modes like boss rush, time attack, and new game plus; more worlds to explore; more special graphical effects; and easter eggs. This content would require additional funding and extra time to finish.
I'll be releasing the game on PC and Mac, and possibly other platforms, such as Steam, Ouya, Linux and PlayStation Vita.
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my Kickstarter proposal. Mechagami really is a blast to play, so please consider adding your support.
Risks and challenges
- Good stuff: I'm a single developer, I don't depend on anyone else to meet deadlines to be able to release the game. I may outsource art and music if the project exceeds its goal, but I won't be relying on them.
- Bad stuff: I'm a single developer; if I have an emergency of some sort, it will likely delay the game. I've built in 2 months of padding to handle such contingencies.
- Other stuff: If I do exceed my funding goal, new content may delay release beyond my current estimates.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The additional platforms are more a matter of opportunity and technical difficulty porting than funding. If I make the $5000 goal, I will look into every available platform beyond Windows and Mac and see which ones are likely to work out. Funding beyond that will make it more likely for me to be able to spend the time needed to port to more platforms.
No! Your work as an artist and/or musician has value! I do not believe in working for "exposure" or working "spec". I really appreciate everyone who has expressed interest in getting involved in Mechagami. I am keeping a list of everyone who has offered to help out, and anyone I choose to work with will be paid fairly.
YES! If you send me a portfolio I will keep a copy of your email on file, even if I don't get back to you right away. If the project makes the associated stretch goal I will consult with the backers before deciding with whom to work.
Yes! If you have a channel that does "Let's Plays", then I'm happy to give you a press copy. It will have to wait until there is enough content to make an LP worthwhile though. I strongly believe in the symbiotic relationship between indie game developers and the "Let's Play" community.
Support this project
- (30 days)