About this project
The overarching goal is to start a non-profit record label - the first step is putting out our first vinyl (Summer in the Storm Cellar) with your help on this Kickstarter
To negotiate prizes (ie."hey, I don't have a record player so I'd just want the shirt and/or artbook") PLEASE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org. We can work an option out for you, I'm sure!
At 15 we were dreaming of a day when we could record a full length and release it on vinyl... now it can really happen! And if this Kickstarter goes well we may also be able to make it happen for many of our talented friends on Practice Room Records [PRR]!
The summer was in fact spent in the storm cellar, aka Practice Room Record's namesake: Tyler's parent's old storage room. We cleaned it out to be a practice space and it ended up becoming the hub for all of our friends and creativity. It's our practice space, recording studio, and pseudo-music venue... but mostly it's just the place where we hangout.
Adam & Naive launched the PRR website from Long Island, NY back in 2010 as a means to release our music for free to the world of the internet. Since then PRR has taken on 7 more members, 17 more projects, and has posted up over 30 albums for free download. The purpose of PRR has always been to provide exposure for our friend's amazing musical projects and profit has never been a part of the plan (it still isn't!). We will continue to release everything on PRR for free, but a zip file just doesn't have the weight of a 12" vinyl record...
While "Summer in the Storm Cellar" will be Practice Room Record's first actual release on vinyl, we really hope it won't be our last. If it's financially viable (as kickstarter has so easily proven it to be over the past few years) we hope to release all future PRR albums to the world as free downloads while also providing people with physical releases (vinyl, CDs, tapes, who knows what other funky mediums are out there). In short, we hope this pilot-project in producing records will prove successful and that we could continue to release many more albums to turn Practice Room Records into a hybrid of free netlabel and full on record label!
All 5 of us are best friends from high school in Smithtown, NY. After numerous other projects, at age 15, Adam & Naive was finally the one to stick. Trust me when I say that most of the music you make at that age really sucks, but we and our friends were just full of relentless support and it's the reason there's anything really worth listening to by us at this point. It's the same reason Practice Room Records exists today and that's what Adam & Naive was born of: Love & Friendship.
We recorded Camera Songs with Mike Fiore in 2007 (another local talent), then Summer in the Storm Cellar with him again in 2009. We've since recorded two more full lengths ourselves, in the Practice Room, always using local engineers to mix.
Adam & Naive are best friends before they're bandmates and we hope that that can be heard through the music.
College came and Greg was the first to leave to Binghamton, 4 hours away. Summer in the Storm Cellar was initiated via email correspondence and finished during that hot summer of 2009 in the Practice Room. Loosely based on two incredible bikerides that Kenny and Greg took from Smithtown, NY to both New York City and Montauk (the east end of Long Island) the album travels, daydreaming, from the frenetic disconnect of the city to bright coherence of our island, which gives way to unabashed gratefulness.
This album, for all of us, was really the start of taking ourselves seriously. With no hesitation I can say that we made something absolutely genuine and we've always been proud of it. The album was basically written to become a record, with one of its only pauses performed nearly exactly halfway through. This has been consistently regarded by us as one of, if not our proudest work. For those reasons and the fact that its release inspired PRR, we felt that it would be most appropriate as our first professionally produced release.
To name the album we had all our friends over in the Practice Room for a listening party. Shut off the lights and flicked on the star machine. We had everyone write down whatever came to their mind while listening. Kim wrote down Summer and Storm Cellar. We thought she hit it on the nose.
Where your money is going
We are going to press 500 12" vinyl LPs with inserts. The inserts will contain your typical lyrics, liner notes, thank yous, etc. We are going to have Aardvark master the album, Imprint will print the jackets, and EKS will press the vinyl in Brooklyn. Your money goes to all of that production, 8% for kickstarter/amazon fees, taxes, and shipping fees! All of the other rewards are provided with our own funds.
We are going to have Aardvark master the album, Imprint will print the jackets, and EKS will press the vinyl in Brooklyn. Your money goes to all of that production, 8% for kickstarter/amazon fees, taxes, and shipping fees!
Elaborating on the rewards for your support
- 12" Vinyl LP - be a part of PRR history! BYAH!
- 12" VInyl LP , the jacket signed by all 5 members of Adam & Naive
- Unreleased jams CD-R - various mp3s lost through time collected onto a CD-R, will not be released on the internet. The CD-R and case will have custom artwork from yours truly!
- Test pressing - We're going to only have 3 test pressings done. Talk about limited edition huh... Signed too!
- Custom T-shirt - We're going to paint up or sow together a c00l design onto a kewl shirt for you (check out our album art for Presents, Tattoos, and Different Directions for the symbol we'll probably use.) You'll love wearing your PRR t-shirt to bed and to weddings!
- All physical PRR releases availabe - since 06 we've been releasing little tapes and CD-rs given out mostly just to our friends, you get whatever we've got.But don't get too excited. "All" means the good AND the bad (why did we ever put out that full album of Click Five covers anyway...)
- Special thanks - forever remembered in our liner notes!
- Custom Song - We're really good at making terrible songs, and now one can be about you! Or your friend! Or neuroplasticity! Your choice!
- Art Book - we'll compile a bunch of original art pieces (NOT PRINTS) from PRR for you. Collages, photos, paintings, sketches, whatever. Also, blank pages can be artistic. It's like, "life is so pointless and empty, man"- doubles as personal sketchpad.
- Performance - we'll drive anywhere within about 5 hours of NYC to perform for you wherever you want. Or we don't even have to perform -we'll degrade ourselves to as low as shining your shoes, but please don't ask us to sing.
Risks and challenges
We may face delays in manufacturing... other than that, all preparations are set!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)