About this project
ΔV: the game of spatial combat
Someday, humanity will harness enough energy to become a starfaring species. But what then? Will we explore the stars, united? Or will humanity fragment into the bubble of space around the Solar System? We're apparently alone in the galaxy, and if we turn inward, against each other, the war will be more frightening than any fought so far.
In the game of DeltaV, you can find out if you have what it takes to survive spatial combat. Fight against one to five other fleet commanders over a region of space. Deceivingly simple, the Delta V board contains only as many positions as a standard checkerboard. But in three dimensions, those positions can have much greater significance.
The Delta V board represents a cubic volume of space. To make it easy to play and still compact, the physical version is exaggerated vertically. One board supports up to six players, and multiple boards may be combined for even larger battles. The prototype below got marred, but it feels wonderfully solid. Visit my blog to stay up to date with production and read the game rules. Scroll down to read more, including pledge reward details and stretch goals.
Simple traditional marbles represent your fleet. Finally, you can do something with that collection grandpa gave you! The fleet consists of one command ship, one support ship, and six drones. As long as you can distinguish among them, they'll work! For all fleets in the rewards, it's your choice of blue, sky blue, orange, green, red, yellow, black, or white for the drone base colors. Note that the marbles in some pictures were hand selected from the offerings at The Wizard's Chest in Denver, Colorado. You'll have to visit them for those colors!
the rewards & tiers
The pledge rewards consist of a few components mixed, matched and combined. The components are
- The rulebook- not really a reward, so much as free for everyone once the kickstarter is funded.
- The Backers-Only Digital Content- the SourceBook preview, which will be a mega-rulebook, with scenarios, variations, to be released next summer, plans for producing ΔV boards on a laser cutter for various materials, the music from our promotional videos in high-quality formats, and your name in the credits.
- The physical rules- a mini-rulebook/reference card is included in the $10 level and most of the higher levels. It will be as detailed as I can afford to produce.
- The ΔV Boards- the board itself, cut in acrylic, from the latest design when the Kickstarter is funded. The standard size is 4x4x4, with 32 spaces (add $13 to any tier to get an extra 4x4x4). If we reach $5000, the larger 5x5x4 and 5x5x5 styles will be available (add $30 or $45, respectively, to get an extra 5x5x4 or 5x5x5).
- The ΔV MDF Board- the board itself, cut from medium density fiberboard, from the latest design when the Kickstarter is funded. (add $10 to any tier to get an extra MDF board)
- The fleets- a 'fleet' in ΔV consists of six drones, a command ship and a support ship, so each fleet mentioned in the rewards includes seven 14mm marbles of the same color, and three 16mm ship marbles, hand selected by me and my helpers. (add $3 to any tier to get an extra fleet)
- Cloth bags- simple cloth bags for storage, some tiers come with one for each fleet
- Scenario Sets- including a 25mm Earth, Luna, or Mars marble and scenario card for a variant game (add $10 to any tier to get an extra scenario set or $25 to add all three)
And, without further ado, the tiers themselves:
- The DIYer- a thank you email, including the digital content, and lots of smilies! :D ($1+)
- True Fan- ΔV rules reference card, the digital content, letter from the creator ($10+)
- The Pragmatist- ΔV board and a letter from the creator, in a plain cloth bag ($15+)
- The Gamer- ΔV board, two fleets, and a letter from the creator, in a plain cloth bag ($20+)
- The Enthusiast- ΔV board, two fleets, each in a small bag, rules reference card, the digital content, name in credits, and a letter from the creator, in a plain cloth bag ($25+)
- The Socialite- ΔV board, six fleets, each in a small bag, rules reference card and a letter from the creator, in a plain cloth bag ($30+)
- The Star Warrior- ΔV board, six fleets, each in a small bag, rules reference card, the digital content, name in credits, and a letter from the creator, in a plain cloth bag ($35+)
- The Meaning of Life- ΔV board, six fleets, each in a small bag, rules reference card, the digital content, name in credits, a "Planet Defense" scenario card, printed globe marble, and a letter from the creator, in a plain cloth bag ($42+)
- The Traveller- ΔV board, six fleets, each in a small bag, rules reference card, the digital content, name in credits, the scenario cards, all three globe marbles (Earth, Mars, and Luna), and a letter from the creator, in a plain cloth bag ($55+)
- The Solar War- two ΔV boards, seven fleets, each in their own bag, two rules reference cards, a scenario card with Luna and Mars printed globe marbles, and two plain bags for storage ($65+)
- The Solar Empire- five ΔV boards, each in a plain cloth bag, and a letter from the creator ($70+)
- The Crowded Sky- two ΔV boards, 12 fleets (a pair of each base color), small bags for fleets, all three scenario sets, and two large bags for storage. ($75+)
- The Lesser God- two ΔV boards, one of them custom cut and numbered just for you, the other an MDF wood board, plus the extras from The Crowded Sky; 12 fleets (a pair of each base color), small bags for fleets, all three scenario sets, and two large bags for storage. ($100+)
My original goal is $2500, which covers my initial costs of prototyping, printing, and promoting. I've gotten workspace access and training on a laser cutter. I have an awesome board game with a solid core ruleset for 2-6 players. I'm ready to start cranking them out! But I intend Delta V to scale with your imagination, and there's so much left I can add! When you pledge, you won't only get your reward, but you'll bring us closer to a stretch goal that adds value to every Delta V set that gets shipped.
- ($3500) Printed Rulebook: every tier from $10 and up will receive a printed rulebook, including a quickstart guide in the form of the Border Skirmish scenario
- ($5000) Five Cubed: the larger five cubed board design will be available*
- ($7500) Fleet Cards: a "tracker" for your units off the board will be added to all tiers, one for every fleet, along with a spare drone marble.**
- ($10k) Scenario Deck: a set of 20 scenario cards will be added to every pledge of $15 or more
- ($15k) Materials Upgrade: All MDF boards and supports will be replaced with baltic birch ply
- ($20k) Resource War Scenario: all pledges of $35 or more will receive a set of "gas giant" and "asteroid" marbles and the Resource War scenario will be added to the Scenario Deck (note that these aren't printed marbles, but just carefully selected).
*The MDF five cubed will be available at $45, and the acrylic version at $65. Backers already at that level are more than welcome to replace their two four-cubed boards with a five cubed. **These fleet cards will be available as an add-on if funding doesn't reach this level.
Risks and challenges
Board games and sci-fi are the only two things really capable of distracting me from mathematics, and I'm dedicated to getting this particular game into the world. So, I've chosen to release it under a Creative Commons, Share Alike, Commercial License. That means you're free to copy my game into whatever format you see fit, and sell it, as long as you're willing to share alike. This is a risk, in that some big game company could tool up and start production before I'm even funded. But, even if that happens, I'll be happy my game is being played. I hope you agree it's worth it.
Once DeltaV finds enough supportive individuals, my small & super awesome team of friends and I will be responsible for following through. Thankfully, this is a relatively low-risk project in terms of production. I spent the summer refining the rules set and have confirmed sourcing for the first thousand boards and any number of fleet sets. If we have a runaway success, I'll have to hunt down a few more laser cutting shops and make way more bags and rules cards. But I'll be happy to do that! I also have some awesome friends to help me out, so I'm not too worried. This is my first Kickstarter, and am simply hoping for the best.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
I wanted to keep the board compact and simple, which prohibited making it roomy enough to look like a cube. I could have made the supports shorter, but that would make it very, very difficult to even move pieces around!
Please do! I'll be sending out a survey once the funding period is over, but there are three substitutions I'm specifically inviting;
(1) MDF Board+2 fleets <=> Acrylic Board
(2) Fleet <=> Fleet Card
(3) 3 Fleets <=> 1 scenario set
If you have another substitution request, just send me a message!
Two answers, here. (a) I assume some of the multiple-board sets will be someone's gift, and I wanted to make sure there were enough fleets to go around, and (b) this is a big game! It's possible to have six players on a single, standard board, and even more when you use multiple boards.
The boards are designed to be set side-by-side to allow for play in a larger volume. Additionally, players may regard the distinct boards as different volumes of space, and require that they move units off one board in a turn, then move on to the other in their next turn. But whenever a player has no units on a board, they must first deploy a Command Ship to gain initiative there. This way, it's possible for many players to fight several different battles simultaneously in one massive game!
Support this project
- (42 days)