13 International Blues Women recording original songs in Clarksdale, Mississippi to further promote Women in Blues Read more
This project was successfully funded on January 28, 2013.
About this project
The three priorities for the campaign will be:
ONE - recording, mixing, mastering, pressing, artwork and food for the musicians while recording.
SECOND - hiring a publicist for the CD when its ready, to promote your music.
THIRD - help offset the cost of the musicians that would be staying a few extra days in Clarksdale, to make this project happen. As you can see there are a few things we will be spending dollars on, detailed below.
Our project will showcase Women In Blues with varying styles and from all over, so we hope that this will be a very interesting, fun and passionate project. Our campaign in set at $5000.00 ......That is the bare minimum needed to record, engineer, master, press and fill our obligations to supporters. In actuality we need to raise 12-15k to properly promote our compilation. This is the first of many projects to come.
Here is a list of the 13 women: Click on names to view bio's.
What We Need & What You Get
A lot of people think that making a record is not much more involved than finding a studio, setting up some mics and hitting record. We used to think that too, to be honest. But the truth is, these days, without the help of a record company footing the bill, the cost to independent artists can be staggering. But with your help we know we can make a great record for a reasonable cost.
Here is our proposed budget:
Live Studio time: 2 days= $4,000
• Includes producer's fee, audio engineer hourly rate, venue, rental, mixing, food and misc. expenses . It breaks down to roughly $2,000/day
• This is the final mix, the last touches, making the record flow smoothly from song to song, and to make it "radio ready".
• We truly believe that the musicians who work on our album should be paid for their time and artistic contributions.
Album Artwork/design: $1000
• The visual artwork on the album will be a big part of the finished product. We're excited to frame the music with art that will speak to the listener. And, we have never felt better than when we're able to support other independent artists by collaborating with them on projects like this!
• Getting the CDs printed accounts for a significant chunk of this budget. With your contribution you can pre-order the new album and help offset the cost of manufacturing.
• Promotion is one of the biggest costs, and one of the most important steps in getting the music out there to the world. It isn't cheap, and it's a ton of work, but it can make all the difference in lifting an artist from relative obscurity to a wider audience. This entails hiring a professional PR rep to work with us to create and run a publicity campaign for the album. This also includes sending loads of CDs to radio stations, promoters, DJs, music reviewers, bloggers, etc. Essentially, it's the old saying: If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it....
Kickstarter’s fee: For the use of their online fundraising service Kickstarter charges us 5% if we reach our goal. This works out to about $800, which we will pay ourselves.. So it is important that we reach our goal!
Total proposed budget: $15,000
• Believe it or not, most big-name bands will spend three or four times what we've proposed in our budget to make a new album. But with careful planning, we believe that we can make this record the best it can be, and get it out to the world without going over our budget.
Perks and Incentives
You'll see on the right a list of perks for each suggested contribution level. Any amount is greatly appreciated! That said, we've had fun coming up with some unique gifts and incentives as a thank you for joining the team! Everything from pre-release CDs, , house concerts, and much more!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read about our project, now you have the power to make it a reality! By contributing to the making of this album, you become a part of it! Not just because you've chosen to give, but because you've shown us that you believe in it.
You're not just funding a project--YOU are making art happen!
Other Ways You Can Help
Believe us, we understand that not everyone has the means to contribute. But you can still make a big difference and help us reach our goal. Word of mouth is still the most effective way to build support! Here are a few ways you can make a big impact:
• Share our campaign on your Facebook page, Twitter, LinkedIn, and on any other social network where you can build the buzz.
• Become a part of the team. Join us during this campaign as we all work together to get the word out.
• Talk us up! Tell all your friends about our music and why it's important to you!
Risks and challenges
We will be taking this project 1 step at a time.Our first major hurdle will be recording, mixing, mastering, pressing, artwork and feeding and housing for the musicians while recording. Through the networks and channels of each musician
we will have a great time promoting our end product. Once or first obligations are achieved we working on promoting our project with a great publicist.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $1 or more
Every dollar counts!
A virtual or in-person bear-hug! Thank you for being a part of our music and this project! We are eternally grateful!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or more
Thank you email
You’ll receive a personal thank you email from your favorite blues woman on the project.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $8 or more
Digital Download After Release Digital Download - You get a digital copy of the tunes after the album hits the streets!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
Pre-Release Digital Download
Pre-Release Digital Download - You get a digital copy of the tunes before the album hits the streets!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $12 or more
Level 4 Kickstarter Countdown Get the CD only....After it is released. We need your support nowEstimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $15 or more
Just the CD- receive a copy of the CD before it hits the streets!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $25 or more
Pre-Release Digital Download /
Thank you phone call
You’ll receive all items from Level 3 and a personal thank you phone call from your favorite Blues Woman on the project.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
Physical Pre-Release CD/Pre-Release Digital Download
You’ll receive all items from Level 3 and receive a copy of the CD before it hits the streets! Please include $10 for shipping outside the US.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $50 or more
Signed thank you note, photo and advanced copy if CD compilation.
You’ll receive a signed thank you note of the one women of your choice with photo of all the Divas on the project and an advance copy of the disc.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $75 or more
Name in liner notes on CD, advanced copy if CD compilation and a signed thank you note.
Get your name in the Acknowledgements on the disc, an advance copy disc and a signed thank you note from one women of your choice .Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $150 or more
All items from Level 6 -plus you will receive 4 tickets to an exclusive club concert with one of our 12 Blues Women ! Bring the friends and rock out with us! (Level 6= Digital download of CD and and receive a copy of the CD before it hits the streets! Please include $10 for shipping outside the US.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $1,500 or more
House concert, advanced copy if CD compilation, a signed thank you note and name in acknowledgments.
All items from Level 9 plus we will take over your backyard for a concert that will make you or your friends the talk of the town! (Available for areas that 1 of the 12 women cover only) You get a performance by the Diva with the closest geographical location, 5 advance copies of the compilation disc, a thank you note and your name in the acknowledgments. Level 9= Digital download of CD and and receive a copy of the CD before it hits the streets! Plus you will receive 4 tickets to an exclusive club concert with one of our 12 Blues Women !Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $4,000 or more
0 backers Limited (4 left of 4)
Be an Executive Producer...
Receive an acknowledgement as an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER on the new CD, enjoy a Private BWInt’l Concert with 1 of our 12 women at a mutually agreeable time and location (travel costs may apply), attend the recording session for the CD in Clarksdale Ms. 27-28 Jan 2013, 4 guest pass’s to a live Concert at a venue near you with 1 of the 12 women, and 10 advance copies of the new CD,a signed poster of all women on the project and a thank you call from each of the women on the project..Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (59 days)