The disembodied, sentient leg of Santa Anna ventures on a quest to save Mexico in this 180-page, full-color graphic novel. Read more
This project was successfully funded on June 4, 2014.
About this project
Created by Van Jensen (writer of Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer and Green Lantern Corps) and acclaimed artist Jose Pimienta.
Once upon a time in Mexico—more specifically, in the 1880s during the Pastry War—President Santa Anna lost his left leg when it was struck by French cannon fire. Santa Anna gave his missing limb a full military funeral (true story!). But when the Mexican people rebelled against Santa Anna (because he did insanely vain things like giving his limb a military funeral) and threw him out of office, protesters exhumed his leg, dragged it through the streets and cast it aside (also a true story!). It hasn’t been seen again…until now!
Our story is set in 1938, when the Leg has reappeared, clad in a tall leather boot. When the Leg learns of a new threat against Mexico, it embarks on an epic journey across the country, battling with villains both modern and magical in its quest to save the country and redeem Santa Anna’s tarnished legacy.
Will the Leg succeed in its quest? The answer lies inside THE LEG: The Remarkable Reappearance of Santa Anna's Disembodied Limb. To read a full preview of the first chapter, click here!
This project traces back more than a decade, to a history class when I was an undergrad. The professor told the tale of Santa Anna's missing limb as an anecdotal aside, but the bizarreness of it stuck with me. Over the following years, I kept thinking about the leg, wondering what happened to it. That fascination melded with a long-held love of Spaghetti Westerns, Mexican folklore and surrealist artists like Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, and slowly it coalesced into a story: A sentient leg on a journey of revenge.
The Leg was the first comic book script I ever wrote, squeezing in time to work on it between my day job in magazines. Then, thinking it was too weird to publish, I stuck the script in a drawer. There it would have remained, except at Comic-Con a few years later, a mutual friend introduced me to an artist, Jose Pimienta. Randomly, I mentioned The Leg. Jose listened intently and then told me that he had grown up in Mexico—in the very region where the story begins. He asked to read the script. And when he did, he asked if he could draw it. Without a second thought, I agreed.
Over the past few years, Jose has worked steadily at the book (also squeezing it around a day job). And last fall, he completed it. Rather than hand the book off to a third party, we decided to self-publish it through Kickstarter.
The Leg has been a labor of love for years, a story that's deeply important to each of us. We couldn't let it out of our hands…except, that is, to share it with you.
The $10,000 goal of this fundraiser is to pay for the cost of printing and shipping the book to backers. The book is completely written, illustrated, colored and lettered, and it will be ready to be printed as soon as the fundraising campaign concludes. Digital copies will be sent to backers immediately upon conclusion of the campaign.
Each backer will receive a copy of the book, either digital ($8) or print ($25 and higher). Additional rewards include:
- $45—A numbered bookplate signed by Van and Jose included with the book.
- $75—A signed and numbered bookplate with the book, and your name listed as a backer in the book.
- $150—A signed and numbered bookplate with the book and an original sketch.
- $250—A signed and numbered bookplate with the book and a page of original art from the book.
Why, yes, there are! If you’ve already pledged and want to get even more good stuff, make sure to spread the word about The Leg!
Goal #1—$12,500—Spanish Language Edition
- Once we pass the $12,500 mark, we will translate the book into Spanish, and everyone who pledges at least $8 will receive PDFs of both the English and Spanish language editions. Spanish-language PDFs will ship out after the English edition, to accommodate time for translating, editing and lettering the Spanish edition.
Goal #2—$15,000—Making of Bonus Material
- Original sketches and background material on the making of THE LEG will be added to the book, giving readers a never-before-seen glimpse into the creative process.
Goal #3—$17,500—Pin Up Art
- Bonus pages featuring original artwork inspired by THE LEG will be added to the book, featuring art by creators such as Andy Runton (Owly), J Chris Campbell, Neal Obermeyer and more!
Goal #4—$20,000—Spanish Language Print Edition
- Backers at the $25 level and above will have the option of receiving a print Spanish-language edition rather than an English-language edition (once the campaign concludes, backers will select the language for the book while entering their shipping information). It will take longer to produce the Spanish-language print edition, so those books will be available later than English-language editions. Once this stretch goal is reached, those who would like the book in English and Spanish can either pledge again at a $25 or higher level or increase their pledge (again, by $25 or higher), and simply note in their shipping information that one copy will be in each language.
Words: Van Jensen, co-creator of PINOCCHIO, VAMPIRE SLAYER (Top Shelf Productions) and writer of GREEN LANTERN CORPS and THE FLASH (DC Comics). Van is also an award-winning journalist based in Atlanta. This is his first self-published work. Follow him on Twitter.
Art: Jose Pimienta, a native of Mexico and the co-creator of A FRIENDLY GAME and an artist on several successful Kickstarter-funded comics anthologies. Follow him on Twitter.
Colors & Letters: Matthew Petz, artist of the webcomic WAR OF THE WOODS and colorist of several comics and graphic novels. Follow him on Twitter.
Design: J. Chris Campbell, maestro of WIDE AWAKE PRESS.
Risks and challenges
While THE LEG is 100 percent written, drawn, colored and lettered, some risk remains. We plan to send the book to be printed once the Kickstarter wraps up, but delays and errors can occur during the printing process. Likewise, delays and mistakes can occur while shipping the books (both from the printer to our HQ as well as from us to you).
There is also the possibility, however remote, that fulfillment will be delayed by any/all of the following: robot attack, alien invasion, African Killer Bee rampage, general societal collapse, zombie apocalypse, non-zombie apocalypse or Ragnarok.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $1 or more
ETERNAL GRATITUDE—Every little bit helps in making this book a reality. You'll receive our thanks for pitching in to make it happen.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $8 or more
DIGITAL COPY OF THE BOOK—Want to read THE LEG on your tablet, computer or phone? You'll receive a PDF of the book, delivered immediately upon the completion of the campaign.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
PRINT COPY OF THE BOOK—A copy of THE LEG, delivered right to you. A bonus digital copy is included.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $45 or more
40 backers Limited (110 left of 150)
SIGNED & NUMBERED PRINT COPY OF THE BOOK—A limited edition copy of THE LEG with a signed and numbered bookplate, delivered right to you. A bonus digital copy is included.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $75 or more
17 backers Limited (33 left of 50)
PRODUCER CREDIT!—Your name will be listed inside the book, plus you'll receive the limited edition copy of THE LEG with a signed and numbered bookplate. A bonus digital copy is included.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $150 or more
6 backers Limited (44 left of 50)
ORIGINAL SKETCH—You'll receive the limited edition copy of THE LEG with a signed and numbered bookplate as well as a one-of-a-kind sketch by either artist Jose Pimienta or writer Van Jensen (your choice). A bonus digital copy is included.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $250 or more
10 backers All gone!
ORIGINAL ART—You'll receive a page of original artwork from THE LEG, plus the limited edition copy of THE LEG with a signed and numbered bookplate. A bonus digital copy is included.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (30 days)