About this project
Beginning in May of this year, we will be filming a full-length musical based on the music of Jonathan Coulton. (www.jonathancoulton.com)
And here's a list of his music from his site: http://www.jonathancoulton.com/store/downloads/
The film is a not-for-profit project. The use of Coulton's music is covered by the Creative Commons License, which allows us to use his music in any form as long as we aren't making a profit.
Artificial Heartache is about a computer programmer named Tom who works week-to-week in the office. He has a crush on fellow co-worker, Caroline. When Tom finally musters the courage to talk to her, things go terribly, terribly wrong.
I don't think I can stress the word "terribly" enough.
And from there, we don't want to give anything away. But, we promise, you won't be disappointed with what happens next. (We just want to keep it a surprise!)
Who is Jonathan Coulton?
If you haven't heard of him, you might know his work from the popular Valve games, Portal and Portal 2. Coulton wrote the credits songs "Still Alive" and "Want You Gone" for the games. In addition to these songs, Coulton's body of work touches on zombies, sea monsters, monkeys, parenthood, relationships, and much, much more.
The Production...thus far
The production will feature 12 of Coulton's songs. We don't want to spoil the entire plot, but it is safe to say that we've picked out a good mix of popular and obscure songs, as well as the old and the new. With all of the music and scenes put together, we are aiming for a total running time of 75-90 minutes long.
This project has been in pre-production for half a year, and has grown and grown to the point that we'd like a little extra help to make it a reality.
Why We Need Your Help
That's where you come in: We want to make this film as awesome as possible and need your help to finish it. Here's why we need to fundraise:
- CAMERA RENTAL: Canon 6D- We are planning on using the 6D because of its affordable rental price while still delivering the powerful low-light capabilities of the 5D Mk III.
- EQUIPMENT RENTAL: In addition to camera rental, we would like to rent audio equipment, a steadicam, and two Zeiss lenses to increase the film's production value.
- COSTUMING: A few characters will need to have costumes specifically built for them. We will also need to buy costumes for extras in the film.
- SPECIAL EFFECTS MAKEUP: We will need a LOT of special effects makeup. (With a little detective work, you can probably piece together why).
- MISC. PRODUCTION EXPENSES: Food, transportation, $ for locations...
Thank you very much! Please share this page with others who would like the opportunity to be a part of this project. We appreciate the support!
Risks and challenges
The main risks in this production is locking in locations. We are not trying to cut corners, and the script has a few demanding locales. Currently we are working on locking those in and are collaborating with other filmmakers in the state to make sure this film becomes a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (22 days)