Greeting WARMACHINE: Tactics backers!
First, my apologies for the extended duration between this update and the last. I will endeavor to deliver them more frequently, which shouldn’t be hard with all the great things on the horizon.
We’ve got a ton of info in this update, including news on the shipping of the physical disks for War Chest backers. First, here’s an update on the latest patch and current status of WARMACHINE: Tactics, straight from WhiteMoon Dreams:
“We know we’ve been quiet over here, but we promise we’ve been hard at work on development, so we have a ton of improvements and new features right around the corner. Our largest patch to date went out this month and features a ton of major changes. The entire multiplayer experience has been given a complete makeover – it both looks more polished and offers a much more fulfilling online experience. Here is what you can experience in the latest patch:
Upgraded Main Menu, Options Menus, Single Player Menus, and Credits, with new art, better optimization and improved reliability.
Brand New Game Mode - Casual Quickmatch
• Featuring pre-made 25 point lists for each Warcaster designed to teach new players the core mechanics and tactics of the game. These lists are balanced for optimal use and are quicker games.
• 3 brand new maps, suited to the smaller point values and with new environments.
• Brand new UI that showcases additional information about the factions and Warcasters, including stats, lore, and tactical advice.
Brand New Game Mode - Ranked 2-list Format
• Ranked play now mimics the popular format set forth by tabletop communities. Both players can see each other's 2 possible squads, but the final chosen squad is a mystery until deployment.
• More information about your opponent, map and game session is now displayed in advance, including leaderboard and skill rank, player name, scenario description, and a preview of the map.
• Brand new UI that showcases our 3D models.
With both new artwork and additional information, the leaderboards tie into our upgraded multiplayer experience, players now receive more information about their game career such as favored Warcaster and Faction, the top 25 players, the 50 players closest to them in rank, and the rank of their Steam friends. More Tutorial Prompts, To facilitate education of new players and veterans alike.
Tons and Tons of Bug Fixes
If you haven’t played the game lately, or if you know someone you think might be interested in checking it out, now is the best time ever. We’ve still got tons of other cool things on the way after this patch. These multiplayer changes give us the foundation to branch out, creating better in-game tournament support, additional games modes, and giving players more ability to make choices about the games they play. This will be an ongoing process and the multiplayer experience will continue to grow with our community. Here is what you can expect within the next several months:
• In-game XP accruement, which is the first step toward implementing the Tactics and Bonds system.
• A unit browser, which will allow the player to view unit models, skins, stats and additional tactical notes. This allows us to build many of the underlying tools and UI required for the unit painter, and also gives the players a place to view their painted models once the unit painter is complete (we have been continuing development on the backend, and are now getting into the frontend work.)
• More new units, 2 new warrior units for each faction are already in development. These units were not explicitly unlocked in the Kickstarter, but as backers they will be free to you as a thank you for being loyal supporters from the beginning.
• Searchable in-game manual and glossary, continuing our efforts to educate new players and bring them into the WARMACHINE fold.
For those of you who enjoy the single player experience, development on Dark Seduction is also deep underway. Alongside development of the new campaign, we are also retrofitting No Man’s Land to have in-game saving functionality. We invite you to check out our weekly development streams at www.twitch.tv/whitemoondreams to keep up to date with progress, ask us questions, or let us know what you want to see in-game and the community. As always, we are available for any questions, concerns, technical support (or even just to play some games) and can be contacted through the Steam forums, our official forums, social media or email (firstname.lastname@example.org for any technical concerns and email@example.com for anything else )”
Physical Disks for War Chest Backers
If you backed WARMACHINE: Tactics at the War Chest level or above, the long awaited physical disks for the game and soundtrack are being packed up and shipped out this week, ready to find their final resting place in within the safety of your collector’s box.
Once you receive the disk, here are the installation instructions if you have not already installed the game off Steam:
Default Locations of Important Files: Steam Install Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
Title Install location: C:\Program Files
Executable used to launch title: C:\Program Files
You will need an internet connection to install the game. If you do not have Steam, you will be prompted to install it after booting up the installer for the game. You do not need Steam to be active to play the single player campaign or skirmish content, but you will need it for the initial installation. Once Steam is installed the game will install and you will be able to play. Steam does not need to be active in order to access the single player or skirmish content, but it is required if you want any multiplayer access other than LAN play. If you do not wish for Steam to be installed on your computer after installing the game, you can still remove it using the following steps while maintaining access to the single player campaign.
Moving the installed files from the default Steam directory into a new folder will allow the player to completely uninstall Steam while being able to launch the game from the executable and have full access to campaign. This option will remove access to units in skirmish as they are tied to Steam DLC IDs. Uninstalling Steam without moving the installed files from the original directory will uninstall the game completely.
We know that there are a few backers who do not wish to use Steam to install the game. We are creating a solution for you in the form of a version of the game that we can burn to a DVD and ship directly to you. This version will include all single-player content and allow LAN play, but will not include the hosted multi-player option, which does require Steam. Future updates of the game will require you to connect online, as that is the only way we can keep your copy of the game current. If you would like to receive a non-Steam installer disk, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address associated with your Kickstarter account, and your mailing address, and they will dispatch a copy to you as soon as they are ready.