My friends and I have been building and flying drones for three years and have come to realize a universal truth found in the drone market and it goes as follows: You can either fork out the big bucks for a consumer drone, or you can brave the pitfalls of building one for yourself.
Regardless, you are going to invest a lot of time, money, or both.
For the past year, I have been getting feedback from all over the drone community as to what would make the ideal drone and what features would give it the most value for your time and money.
All of the feedback I was getting seemed to follow the same thread and it went like this.
1. Affordable - Ready-to-fly under $500.
2. Easy to build - Quick and simple. Everything you need in one kit.
3. Easy to fly - Enjoyable and versatile.
4. Easy to fix - Having the ability to make most repairs at the field.
5. Easy to expand - Adding and subtracting features should be a no-brainer.
Having gathered drone preferences from beginners and experts alike, I created a drone kit that would most closely meet their needs.
What I came up with is the Timber Drone.
My friends and I have been loving the Timber Drone and it is my hope that you will love it as well.
Please support this campaign so that we can bring this awesome kit to market and make the art of building and flying drones approachable to anyone.
Thank you, and I very much appreciate your support.
*Note: A step-by-step, comprehensive build video will be posted to Youtube upon the completion of this campaign to walk you through the assembly process.
- Note the extra-long landing gear that is included with the Timber Drone Platinum.
The frame's dual-plate design is what sets the Timber Drone apart.
- Power connection points are built right into the frame, so soldering is clean and fast--no confusing tangle of wires and no worry of short circuits.
- The frame facilitates folding booms which serve two purposes. The first being that the booms can fold in case of a crash saving the expensive hardware. The second being that the entire frame folds into a small, transportable package that easily fits into a backpack.
- The wooden booms are secured in place (to prevent from folding in flight) by either rubber bands, zip ties or nuts and bolts. In the event of a crash, either the rubber band, zip tie or wooden boom will break saving the motors and propellors and allowing you to get back up in the air in minutes.
- The auxiliary power connection point allows you to power whatever accessory you desire. Possible accessories include: FPV equipment, brushless gimbals, lights and advanced flight controllers.
- Flight controllers such as the Openpilot CC3D, Naze32, DJI Naza, APM and EagleTree Vector all work great with the Timber Drone.
- The front of the frame features the perfect mounting point for cameras and gimbals. Extra long booms and far-forward mounting position keeps the frame and props hidden for gorgeous, unobstructed views.
- The final revision of the frame that you will receive will feature multiple mounting points for battery straps, so you can balance your Timber Drone according to whatever payload you are carrying.
- Flight times can exceed 12 minutes depending on payload and battery. With the included 3000mah 3s battery (in the PNF/RTF kits), the Timber Drone can fly comfortably fly for 8-10 minutes carrying a GoPro camera.
In all kits, pre-cut and drilled wooden 1/2" square dowels, complete set of nuts and bolts, basic wiring, battery strap, zip ties and double-sided adhesive are included.
This is the power plant that will be included in all kits that come with props, motors and ESC's.
A 6-channel transmitter and receiver are included in all kits that feature the ready-to-fly (RTF) package.
A 5.8ghz video transmitting set along with battery, camera and monitor are included in all kits that include the first person view (FPV) package.
(Camera not included)
Risks and challenges
Timber Drone is nearly complete, but a little fine tuning is still in order.
The frame needs a few adjustments and coordinating with the manufacturer is an expensive and time consuming process.
This is where I need your help by means of backing this project. With your support we can democratize drones and make them approachable for anybody.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)