Enigma (definition): 1. Something which baffles or perplexes. 2. An occurrence or thing that is outside the boundaries of what would be considered normal.
Our goal with the Enigma ESD was to create a new type of unsealed drag with many of the same desired qualities of a sealed drag. The Enigma ESD (EXTERIOR SEALED DRAG) is a hybrid reel being neither sealed nor unsealed. The Enigma externally seals both the clutch and the bearings (the most common parts to fail or freeze in a reel), while leaving the drag disks unsealed. The Enigma ESD is a new class of fly reel that stands alone among the competition.
- ESD (Exterior Sealed Drag System) seals both the clutch and the bearings
- Hard Anodized Exterior for Both Beauty and Protection
- Multiple Colors (Black, Teal, Ruby Red, Golden Olive)
- Our ESD drag with carbon fiber disks
- Smooth Drag that Eliminates Start-Up Friction
- Ultra Large Arbor Design for Fast Retrieve and minimal line coil
- Machined from aerospace 6061 T6 Bar Stock Aluminum
- Convertible to both left and right hand retrieve
- Reels come in a quality neoprene case
1. The ESD Drag - ESD stands for Exterior Sealed Drag. The ESD is the first of it kind hybrid drag. It is a hybrid because it seals both the bearings and the clutch (the most common parts to fail in a drag), yet leaves the drag disk unsealed. This new drag system gives you many of the benefits of a sealed drag at the affordable price of an unsealed drag. The two main benefits of this drag system is protection from salt-water damage and slippage in cold weather environments. Our new ESD drag also features a large carbon fiber disk hidden under a protective cover.
2. The Design - One of the key elements of a high performance reel is being fully machined from bar-stock aluminum. The Enigma is 100% machined from aerospace quality aluminum. This is a characteristic commonly found in reels four or five times the price of the Enigma. The Enigma is also fully anodized and extremely light weight. This is a reel where the cosmetic appearance is more than skin deep. The Enigma's beautiful appearance speaks for both the quality and performance of the reel.
3. The Price - Fully machined, check. Bar-stock aluminum, check. Hard Anodized, check. ESD hybrid drag system, check. Ultralight design, check. Less than $200, check.
4. The Ultra Large Arbor - While large arbor reels are common in the fly fishing world, the ultra large arbor is a newer innovation. Our arbor size improves line retrieval speed, decreases line memory, and still allows you to hold a significant amount of backing.
Launching any new product is an extremely expensive endeavor. The cost of bulk materials, labor, and manufacturing can place a huge amount of strain on a small growing business. Pledging on Kickstarter will help us lower that strain! Kickstarter works like a pre-order. We allow you to place a pre-order on our new reel and in exchange we give you a sweet discount and the satisfaction of knowing that without your pledge this reel would never become a reality. Your pledge literally allows our reels to become a reality!
More than being a fly reel company we see ourselves as fly fishermen who happen to make reels. As fly fishermen we want products that work flawlessly, last a lifetime, and look amazing! Every Taylor Reel is designed to do just that.
Taylor Reels is owned and operated by a group of friends and family members. As a team we are continuing to seek new innovative ways to make an impact in the fly fishing world. All our products are guided by a simple vision and that is to make reels that are high quality and affordable. We design our reels to be second to none!
When we are not in the office working and designing new products we can be found testing products. By testing products we mean fishing. Here at Taylor Reels we believe great products begin with passion for the water! Join our passion by grabbing a Taylor Reel and getting out there.
All Taylor Reels feature a limited lifetime warranty. We stand behind our reels so that you can be confident with your investment. We believe in our reels so much that we will even let you fish the reel for 30 days and if you're not satisfied you can return it for a full refund. For more warranty information please visit our website.
Visit our website www.taylorflyfishing.com for more information on our reels!
Video and Photography by Christopher Pettitt and Lutum Studio: http://www.lutumstudio.com
If we hit $30,000 we will add BOLD PURPLE to the color options!
Risks and challenges
When manufacturing a product sometimes you run into unforeseen challenges. Those challenges can sometimes cause production delays. We have taken many precautions to avoid having any delays. Our target date is March-April. We don't see any reason why our target date won't be hit.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)