This innovation will double your pan's versatility
AUSfonte Kickstarter #3.....more Aussie iron!
After two wildly successful Kickstarter campaigns, for our 24cm Sauteuse pan (see http://kck.st/1tnQ6X8) and 32cm BIGskillet*/DEEPan* combination (see http://kck.st/1DRWr5w), followed by their online/retail/export success (see http://www.solidteknics.com/blog/good-news-for-australian-manufacturing-new-australian-made-ausfonte-cookware-outsells-all-the-old-import-brands ) we are very happy to announce this Kickstarter launch of this perfect complement to our AUSfonte* pans.
Special 'FIRST OZ EDITION' Castings for Kickstarter backers only
Kickstarter backers will receive limited edition Pan Grill-its, cast underneath with 'FIRST OZ EDITION' and the exact casting date. This rare collectible edition is only offered to backers of this campaign. (Retail versions will only say 'Cast' and the casting date.)
Note that all Pan Grill-it rewards will be shipped as limited 'FIRST OZ EDITION' castings, but the AUSfonte pans in the sets above will be shipped as regular 'CAST' retail edition pans (because their Kickstarter campaigns have long since successfully closed).
A healthy AND tasty way to cook:
- Healthy fat-draining capability: the deep ribs and specially-engineered fat-draining channels underneath ensure fats drain away, while heat and flavour is transferred to the food.
- Tastiest? Hard to describe here, but you already know how the best cast iron BBQ grills create those amazing smoky, grilly flavours!
Natural nonstick: Like all AUSfonte cast iron pans, the Pan Grill-it cast iron grills are not coated in synthetic nonstick: they are bare cast iron, pre-seasoned for a natural nonstick coating which can be improved with more seasoning upfront, or built up over time with cooking. This is forever renewable nonstick, with no heat limits and no danger from synthetic coatings. The only type we would recommend, after all our research.
Multi-talented grill: The Pan Grill-it can be used in so many ways from plain old meat/veggie grilling through to double-layered meat and veggie roasts, sandwiching meats and paninis between two Pan Grill-its, smoking....and much more, all with that unmistakable cast iron grill taste. See some great cooking ideas in pics at the very bottom.
The AUSfonte Pan Grill-it Project Timeline
1. March 4 launch - April 20, 2015 project deadline: spread the word as quickly and widely as possible across Australia and USA, with the help of our VIP chef and food industry supporters, our BIG happy group of backers from our first two Kickstarter projects, and our new backers on this Kickstarter project. Do everything within our power to exceed the pledge target!
2. Early May: IF campaign is successfully funded, commence making new Pan Grill-it Australian production moulds at our South Australian foundry.
3. Late May: Cast entire limited FIRST EDITION Pan Grill-it production run at Australia's best production foundry, pre-season and finish packaging.
4. June shipping: Commence packing and shipping new AUSfonte™ First Edition Pan Grill-its to their new homes. Social media buzzing when new AUSfonte™ owners first cook with them, discover what we know, then post their reviews online.
We launched a whole new cookware industry for Australia when we successfully funded our AUSfonte Sauteuse, BIGskillet and DEEPan here on Kickstarter, and now they are acclaimed by chefs and experts, selling strongly in Australia and exported to the USA (see http://www.solidteknics.com/blog/good-news-for-australian-manufacturing-new-australian-made-ausfonte-cookware-outsells-all-the-old-import-brands ).
AUSfonte is the only production cookware made in Australia.
If you LOVE what we’ve done with the AUSfonte™ 'Tough Love' pans and now our Pan Grill-it here on Kickstarter, please tell all your friends that you’ve found the finest cast iron cookware available today, they're made in Australia and these new heirloom collectible FIRST EDITION Pan Grill-it inserts are only available by pledging here on Kickstarter before the April 20 deadline.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!!
Mark, Rebecca, Natasha and the Solidteknics Team
.....well, kind of..... All the detail you probably want (and more) was presented above. However, we've added much more detail below, with more links to resources, for the serious researchers, or for those who don't already know us and our capability and integrity.
EXPANDED CAMPAIGN INFO:
The pictures of the real cast iron insert in this Kickstarter campaign are of the Medium Pan Grill-it, which is not offered in this campaign because it already exists in the USA (long and interesting story: see below). This campaign focuses on bringing two new Pan Grill-it models to life with Australian manufacturing:
1. Small PGi (180mm, 7.08"): This will be essentially a scaled-down version of the USA Medium PGi, with the same straight grill bars, and same proven performance:
2. Large PGi (304mm, 12"): This is a new development by SOLIDTEKNICS Australia based on our diamond grill concept, as shown in the 3D CAD models below. This pattern creates, in one sear, the classic diamond pattern that chefs manually create with two sears on a regular grill:
(These are 3D CAD models: moulds won't be made until Kickstarter funding is reasonably assured.)
Best pans for Pan Grill-it?
You can use Pan Grill-it inserts in many brands of pans (measure yours for fit), though cast iron is best for all-natural nonstick seasoning, for easy clean-up and best taste, by far.....and our Australian AUSfonte cast iron is the best of the best:
If you don't own all three AUSfonte pans, and you would like to, see the sets rewards at right, which include free Pan Grill-its with our pans in various combinations. Or, our Sauteuse pans are already in the best gourmet stores/online in Australia and USA (soon UK), and BIGskillet and DEEPan will be in the same stores in May: http://www.solidteknics.com/where-to-buy/
CAUTION! Please do NOT use Pan Grill-it in synthetic-coated nonstick pans: the high temperatures required for real searing/grilling are well above the safe temperatures recommended by manufacturers of those synthetic coatings. If you are unsure of the health risks associated with overheating synthetic-coated pans, please research the internet for the very clear evidence and warnings from the many credible sources on the subject, and from the manufacturers themselves.
Why are we launching Pan Grill-it on Kickstarter?
We're making the two new AUSfonte Pan Grill-it inserts in Australia, so that means very high mould-making costs (but competitive unit costs in production, for such high-quality castings, once the moulds are paid for). That's why we've come back to launch again on Kickstarter: if there's enough interest and we make our funding goal we'll be able to fund moulds and production in Australia. If not, we can't, and the product will not be launched.
The Kickstarter system is ideal for our situation: supporters pledge and receive Pan Grill-it rewards, and if enough funding is achieved to avoid us being burned, we launch. If not, the campaign fails and we waste a lot of time, but nobody is billed. 'Safe risk' for everyone!
But why should you pledge here and now on Kickstarter?
Q: What's the bonus for backers who pledge for a Pan Grill-it here on Kickstarter, instead of waiting until June for them to come to retail (at around the same RRP)?
A: Limited FIRST EDITION castings!
Because it was such a hugely popular feature in our first two Kickstarter pan campaigns, and we personally love creating heirlooms, we're again offering highly collectible limited edition castings: each Pan Grill-it will be cast with the words 'FIRST EDITION' and the exact date of casting. Note that our retail castings are always cast with 'CAST', and the casting date, but never 'FIRST EDITION'.
Limited, rare, and collectible: guaranteed. As a sign of our gratitude, and a valuable bonus for backers of our Kickstarter launches, we will produce First Edition castings only for backers who pledge here before the end of this campaign. Like our other AUSfonte pans launched on Kickstarter, these Pan Grill-it castings will never again be offered as First Edition castings outside of this Kickstarter campaign. That's our commitment to all our Kickstarter backers.
Pledge costs and shipping
Shipping cost to anywhere in Australia is a lot more reasonable this time than with our big pans! With a growing base of supporters in the USA, we've also worked hard to keep international shipping costs down through our US importer/distributor.....but it's still solid iron......all the way from Australia. By air for Kickstarter backers.....
All pledge/shipping amounts are in Australian dollars (so they're a significant discount for our US backers, with the AUD/USD rate being 0.78 on March 2, for example).
The pledge options listed at right don't show shipping charges (Kickstarter lists them later while you're pledging), but we don't want any surprises for our backers, so here they are:
- $14 per delivery per Pan Grill-it, for delivery anywhere in Australia.
- $29 per delivery per Pan Grill-it, for delivery anywhere in USA.
- More complex and expensive for the sets that include pans: see the shipping cost when you select your reward.
- Shipping to other countries is possible, but costs are significantly higher and will require an additional pledge to cover them. Please contact us in advance of your pledge if you are outside USA or Australia.
The interesting development story behind Pan Grill-it
We have a confession to make: we did not invent Pan Grill-it, technically speaking.....but we didn't steal it either!
Our development engineer Mark Henry thought he had invented the removable/convertible insert pan grill, then a Google search proved him wrong: like most good ideas, it had already been done! The American inventor, Scott Lewis had already launched the Pan Grill-it product in the USA, had a good patent and quickly made it a success with American cooks. Instead of give up on a good idea, Mark chatted with Scott about their mutual love of cast iron cooking and a beautiful deal was done: Mark's SOLIDTEKNICS Australian business would manufacture new Pan Grill-it models in Australia for worldwide distribution, and Scott's Pan Grill-it business would distribute Australian-made AUSfonte pans in the USA. A win-win.....cast in iron!
Kickstarter quirks and our 'house rules'
Not familiar with Kickstarter, or had trouble understanding pledging/rewards in our previous campaigns? The Kickstarter system is perfect for proving there's enough support for funding expensive Australian moulds, but it can be 'quirky' for first-timers. So please first familiarise yourself with the overall Kickstarter method here: https://www.kickstarter.com/hello
- Please remember that SOLIDTEKNICS is a development engineering company, not an importer, and not a retailer. We can't sell direct, but do we launch new products through Kickstarter to fund expensive mould making, and we wholesale those new products to retailers around the world after our Kickstarter campaigns close.
- Kickstarter collects pledges for our special First Edition rewards on our behalf, but only until the campaign closure deadline. We can't change pledges and we can't take new orders after the campaign closes.
- You really need to read the Kickstarter Updates we send. They contain important information to avoid problems with your pledge. You also must respond to the Kickstarter Survey sent after the campaign closes: it's vital. This is the only time we receive shipping details to deliver your rewards (we never see the pledge billing information you give to Kickstarter).
- Though we'd love to help, if you have technical issues, please see Kickstarter FAQs and/or ask them directly: it is their system.
- If you have any other issues, please message us through Kickstarter, or email us direct: info at solidteknics.com .....please do not run first to post publicly on social media before giving us a chance to resolve your problem. We will occasionally make human errors, but you can be certain of our integrity and you can be certain of our goodwill toward all our backers. This is community, not sales.
- If you know us, you know we are not here to make fast money with Kickstarter or SOLIDTEKNICS: we are carefully and patiently building a multi-generation brand based on cooking innovations with multi-century durability. We are building a community of like-minded supporters who trust and believe in our vision for a sustainable Australian cookware industry (clear on our front page: www.solidteknics.com ). Thus, we reserve the right to cancel any pledge from anyone who does not share our spirit. Life's too short to not remain true.....However, we DO look forward to many years of making many more like-minded friends who are lovers of great food and great equipment!
A bit more detail about the key question: 'Why should you support an AUSfonte Pan Grill-it here on Kickstarter?'
1. 'FIRST EDITION' Pan Grill-its are only available to our Kickstarter backers: If you back our AUSfonte™ project here you will own the best collector’s edition of them all: FIRST EDITION. Each pan is cast underneath with words 'FIRST EDITION', and the exact casting date. But only for the first production run of each model, and only for our Kickstarter backers. Please be sure of your pledge: you can't change the Kickstarter system after the deadline, we can't change pledges, and we can't accept late orders. Please tell all your friends to secure the First Edition before the deadline!
2. For the versatility, convenience, flavour and health benefits of grilling with Pan Grill-it:
>>>> Unbeatable cast iron grill taste: Cast iron grills are used by all the serious grillers for a reason: the taste can't be beaten. For a one-pot flavour sensation, use Pan Grill-it for double-layer roasting: meats on top and vegetables underneath. Easily the best roast meals we've tasted, with only one pan and insert to clean up!
>>>> Convert your regular flat pan into a healthy cast iron grill for indoor or outdoor grilling on any heat source, then convert it back again for regular cooking: One pan becomes two pans, instead of buying separate flat pans and grill pans. Convert your flat stainless steel, ceramic, bare cast iron or enamel pan into a healthy cast iron grill in seconds.
CAUTION! Do not use Pan Grill-it with synthetic-coated nonstick pans! Real grilling requires searing (not stewing) at high temperatures, which are well above the safe limits recommended by the manufacturers of nonstick pans. We won't elaborate on our opinion of the dangers of synthetic nonstick pans here. The credible research and warnings are all over the internet, and you should inform yourself then choose your own risk vs. convenience levels.
>>>> Easier grilling. More grilling: Get that cast iron grill BBQ taste indoors on cold/rainy days. Cover mucky public BBQs with your clean Pan Grill-it. There are many configurations possible, including using one Pan Grill-it under and one on top (in oven or preheated).
>>>>Deep ribs with fat-draining channels underneath: Drain fats away more effectively than shallow-grooved regular grill pans.
>>>> Clean and safe cooking, even at high temperatures: Naked, honest cast iron, lightly pre-seasoned at the foundry.Sear at high temp without concern for synthetic non-stick coatings. Seasoned cast iron has been trusted for centuries and is now booming again, particularly in the USA. We've been instrumental in 'kickstarting' the wave in Oz with our very successful AUSfonte pans and video/instructional learning aides. Simple cleaning and seasoning maintenance creates strong natural corrosion resistance and safe non-stick (see http://www.solidteknics.com/australian-fonte-pan-detail). Simple seasoning/care beginner video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSEKhflHDnI&feature=youtu.be
3. Because ancient wisdom often still holds true: Pan Grill-it is innovative new cookware engineering, but cast iron has been trusted for many centuries for its food safety and cooking ability. See general health and cooking benefits of cast iron here: http://www.solidteknics.com/blog/these-5-health-benefits-are-cast-in-ironand-4-more-are-literally-cast-in-iron-in-australia
4. Trust in the best of Australian capability: Partnering with Australia’s best production foundry (strict materials control and world-class automation/quality/efficiency) for the new purpose of pro-level cookware, 100% MADE IN AUSTRALIA. Our foundry exports 70+% of its production because it is globally competitive at the high quality end of iron castings. See our South Australian foundry in action here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAOifJTuAqw
5. Don’t just buy grill insert, invest in a family heirloom: Pan Grill-t™ inserts are so tough they will no doubt be passed down through many generations. No need to state a warranty expiry: these solid one-piece iron castings will last for centuries. And of course we'll replace anything defective......no matter which century it was purchased in!
6. SOLID experience and history behind SOLIDTEKNICS: Our founder/engineer Mark Henry's long experience combined with our world-class Australian foundry and our successful first Kickstarter campaign demonstrates an enviable track record in the wider industry, and now also for Kickstarter projects. We are receiving a lot of wonderful support from chefs and the food media (http://www.solidteknics.com/press-love ), and our Kickstarter backers (http://www.solidteknics.com/testify ), because we created something new and meaningful for cooks, and delivered it on schedule. You can trust us to do that again with this campaign.
7. Proven success in the USA: The original patent pending Pan Grill-it (medium size, shown in our video) beat us to market in the USA, where it became a rapid success in under a year. We've licensed it for manufacture in Australia and worldwide distribution. The advantage is the Pan Grill-it is already a proven product....we're just taking it further!
8. Help create SOLID cookware history: If you want to share the pride in being a real part of launching a new Australian cookware industry and whole new level of cast iron cookware engineering, we need your backing to fund the expensive moulds and keep our fledgling business SOLIDTEKNICS alive. We need support to keep developing more patent-pending innovations throughout 2015, our sensitive first full year, and beyond while we build a SOLID multi-generation brand, company, and industry for Australia.
World-class Australian Foundry
This video shows the casting of our first major retail production run on 14 October 2014, for our 24cm Sauteuse pan. Bigger castings like BIGskillet and DEEPan are produced on the large fully-automated Disamatic line with automated mould fill.
Cooking with AUSfonte Pan Grill-it
We reserve worldwide rights to our exclusive use of the following trademarks for kitchenware, in any typographical format, whether or not they are followed by the trademark symbol (TM) throughout this campaign site (and in all our communications). Each of these trademarks are the property of SOLIDTEKNICS Pty Ltd (Australia):
We reserve the same rights for the 'Pan Grill-it' trademark, worldwide, except for within the United States of America (Where Pan Grill-it USA maintains those rights).
Standard Kickstarter 'risks' section:
Risks and challenges
We have a very strong grasp of the risks associated with the project, after having (quite successfully) funded two AUSfonte pan projects here on Kickstarter in September 2014 and February 2015.
We are casting Pan Grill-it (and all our AUSfonte pans) at the same world-class foundry in South Australia as our Sauteuse pan. We believe this Pan Grill-it campaign will be at least as exciting, with all the versatility this cast iron insert offers, and with new distribution in the USA we're also shipping to US backers at reasonable cost. So we believe we should achieve our funding goal.
Though undeniably very hard work, on the scale of products and businesses I’ve launched, this is certainly at the low risk end. After decades in the chef equipment industry and a long R&D process, I’m very confident the product is the best it can be, for all the reasons listed in the project detail.
If our backers allow us reach our target in time, the funds will be quickly applied to the mould cost and production will be on time (barring 'acts of God'!), like the Sauteuse pan, and as promised by our factory and by us. We have a long and proven track record of keeping our promises.
Mark J. HenryLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)