SOLIDTEKNICS(TM) AUSfonte(TM) 'Tough Love' pans: BIGskillet(TM) and DEEPan(TM)*
THANK YOU cooks of Australia and the USA: we reached our funding goal early!!! It's REAL now: you will receive your AUSfonte BIGskillet and DEEPan as promised!
This Kickstarter campaign follows on from our successful first campaign for the acclaimed AUSfonte 24cm Sauteuse pan in September 2014 (see http://youtu.be/2lZT609fXME and www.kickstarter.com/projects/400294490/fonte-tough-love-australian-cast-iron-pans-love-ha ).
AUSfonte BIGskillet 32cm (13"): A classic BIG surface area skillet....with all new innovation:
Photos above are the real thing: off-tool pre-production samples. We knew the BIGskillet design was special, but we had no idea how special until we broke them out of the sand and cooked with them. We were simply amazed.....and we've been in this industry for decades. We know BIGskillet is something very special.....
(More photos in gallery at bottom.)
BIG and beautiful: AUSfonte DEEPan 32cm, 7 Litre (13", 7 quart)
BIGskillet becomes an insulating lid for the DEEPan(TM)*.....or vice-versa:
The smooth cooking surface so loved by owners of our AUSfonte Sauteuse pan will also be applied to our new BIGskillet and DEEPan. It's difficult and expensive to produce, but the improved cooking performance makes it very much worthwhile!
See what the food media had to say about our first AUSfonte Sauteuse pan and Kickstarter launch:
See what our AUSfonte backers said:
THE FONTE (TM) PROJECT TIMELINE:
1. December 19 launch - February 17, 2015 project deadline: spread the word as quickly and widely as possible across Australia and USA, with the help of our VIP chef and food industry supporters, our BIG happy group of backers from our first Kickstarter project, and our new backers on this Kickstarter project. Complete BIGskillet production moulds and testing. Do everything within our power to exceed the pledge target then add the DEEPan stretch goal, then continue raising enough funding for both!
2. February 17, or earlier if possible: Commence DEEPan mould making.
3. March 15: Cast entire limited FIRST EDITION BIGskillet production run at Australia's best production foundry, machine smooth the cooking surfaces, pre-season and finish packaging.
4. April delivery: Commence packing and shipping new AUSfonte™ First Edition pans and shipping to their new homes. Social media buzzing when new AUSfonte™ owners first cook with them, discover what we know, then post their reviews on this KS site, Facebook, Twitter. All as positive as feedback from our first Sauteuse pan campaign we trust!
We launched a whole new cookware industry for Australia when we successfully funded our AUSfonte Sauteuse pan here on Kickstarter in September 2014. AUSfonte is the only production cookware made in Australia.
If you like….no, if you LOVE….what we’ve done with the AUSfonte™ 'Tough Love' Sauteuse pans and now our BIGskillet and DEEPan here on Kickstarter, please tell all your friends that you’ve found the finest cast iron pans available today, they're made in Australia and these new heirloom collectible FIRST EDITION pans are only available by pledging here on Kickstarter before February 17.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!!
Mark, Rebecca, Natasha and the Solidteknics Team
.....well, kind of.....
All the detail you probably want (and more) was presented above. However, we've added more detail below, with more links to resources, for the serious researchers.
A bit more detail about the key question: 'Why should you support an AUSfonte Tough Love pan here on Kickstarter?'
1. 'FIRST EDITION' Tough Love pans are only available to our Kickstarter backers: If you back our AUSfonte™ pan project you will own the best collector’s edition of them all: FIRST EDITION! Each pan is cast underneath with words 'FIRST EDITION', and casting date. But only for the first production run of each model, and only for our Kickstarter backers. Limited collectible FIRST EDITION heirloom only available here on Kickstarter, and only available until Feb 17.
2. For their world-leading technical awesomeness, not just because they're Australian: AUSfonte™ pans have the strongest set of features available in any cast iron pan today:
>>>> Love handles! The most functional pair of handles ever put on a cast iron pan. Wide and broad where it counts for more comfort and control. Unique cross-section and cooling fins to reduce (not eliminate) heat transfer to hand.
>>>>Reduce the load on your hands: The long/wide handles make lighter work of lifting a large pan. For pouring/scraping from BIGskillet into another vessel, hold one handle and lift until the other handle touches down, then pivot and lift to get the pan wall up high for pouring/scraping. Much less weight is carried by the lifting hand than a regular pan, because the handle on the bench is carrying (more than) half the weight (see diagram/description above and video demo here: http://youtu.be/X0-xt-yjz1k ).
>>>> Clean and safe cooking, even at high temperatures: Naked, honest cast iron, lightly pre-seasoned at the foundry.Slow braise or sear at high temp without concern for synthetic non-stick coatings. Seasoned cast iron has been trusted for centuries and is now booming again, particularly in the USA. We've been instrumental in 'kickstarting' the wave in Oz with our very successful AUSfonte pans and video/instructional learning aides. Simple cleaning and seasoning maintenance creates strong natural corrosion resistance and safe non-stick (see http://www.solidteknics.com/australian-fonte-pan-detail). Simple seasoning/care beginner video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSEKhflHDnI&feature=youtu.be
3. Because ancient wisdom often still holds true: AUSfonte™ pans clearly are new and advanced cookware engineering, but cast iron has been trusted for many centuries for its food safety and cooking ability. See health and cooking benefits of cast iron here: http://www.solidteknics.com/blog/these-5-health-benefits-are-cast-in-ironand-4-more-are-literally-cast-in-iron-in-australia
4. Trust in the best of Australian capability: Partnering with Australia’s best production foundry (strict materials control and world-class automation/quality/efficiency) for the new purpose of pro-level cookware, 100% MADE IN AUSTRALIA. Our foundry exports 70+% of its production because it is globally competitive at the high quality end of iron castings. See our South Australian foundry in action here:www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAOifJTuAqw
5. Don’t just buy a pan, invest in a family heirloom: AUSfonte™ pans are so tough they will no doubt be passed down through many generations. No need to state a warranty expiry: these solid one-piece iron pans will last for centuries. And of course we'll replace anything defective......no matter which century it was purchased in!
6. SOLID experience and history is behind SOLIDTEKNICS: Our founder/engineer Mark Henry's long experience combined with our world-class Australian foundry and our successful first Kickstarter campaign demonstrates an enviable track record in the wider industry, and now also for Kickstarter projects. We are receiving a lot of wonderful support from chefs and the food media (http://www.solidteknics.com/press-love ), and our Kickstarter backers (http://www.solidteknics.com/testify ), because we created something new and meaningful for cooks, and delivered it on schedule. You can trust us to do that again with the innovative new AUSfonte Kickstarter projects presented here.
7. Help create SOLID cookware history: If you want to share the pride in being a real part of launching a new Australian cookware industry and whole new level of cast iron cookware engineering, we need your backing to fund the expensive moulds and keep our fledgling business SOLIDTEKNICS alive. We need support to keep developing more patent-pending innovations throughout 2015, our sensitive first full year, and beyond while we build a SOLID multi-generation brand.
THE KEY AUSFONTE (TM) PROJECT GOALS:
1. Breakeven and raise enough funding to cover very expensive Australian-made production moulds for BIGskillet and DEEPan, and achieve our foundry’s (large) minimum production quantity.
2. Give back to the community by contributing significant funds to some of our most-loved charities, the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation (Australia: www.kitchengardenfoundation.org.au ) and C-CAP, Careers through Culinary Arts Program (USA: www.ccapinc.org ). Funds go toward their vital work educating schoolkids and school-leavers about building personal knowledge and love for good food and careers in food.
3. Show that our innovative designs, kitchenware philosophies and business values are important enough, to enough cooks, to continue launching the coolest cook's tools and grow our new Australian/American business......and continue spreading the love worldwide. See our vision for our fledgling business: SOLIDTEKNICS.
World-class Australian Foundry
This video shows the casting of our first major retail production run on 14 October 2014, for our 24cm Sauteuse pan. The BIGskillet and DEEPan will be produced on the large fully-automated Disamatic line with automated mould fill.
AUSFONTE TOUGH LOVE PANS DEVELOPMENT IN PICTURES:
Gallery of finished product photos
We reserve worldwide rights to our exclusive use of these trademarks, in any typographical format, whether or not they are followed by the trademark symbol (TM) throughout this campaign site (and in all our communications). Each of these trademarks are the property of SOLIDTEKNICS Pty Ltd (Australia):
Risks and challenges
We have a very strong grasp of the risks associated with the project, after having (quite successfully) funded our first AUSfonte Sauteuse pan here on Kickstarter in September 2014 and shipped on schedule in November 2014.
We are casting BIGskillet (and all our AUSfonte pans) at the same world-class foundry in Australia as our Sauteuse pan. We believe this BIGskillet design (and our DEEPan) is at least as exciting, with the advantages of double handles and much larger cooking surface. This time we're also opening up to US backers, so we believe we should achieve our funding goal.
Though undeniably very hard work, on the scale of products and businesses I’ve launched, this is certainly at the low risk end. After decades in the chef equipment industry and a long R&D process, I’m very confident the product is the best it can be, for all the reasons listed in the project detail.
If our backers allow us reach our target in time, the funds will be quickly applied to the mould cost and production will be on time (barring 'acts of God'!), like the Sauteuse pan, and as promised by our factory and by us. We have a long and proven track record of keeping our promises.
Mark J. HenryLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)