Missed out on the Kickstarter? Check out our website: http://www.modcube.com
A huge thanks to all our backers who made this project such an amazing success, we look forward to making you proud!
What is a ModCube?
The ModCube is a gaming aid which enables you to keep 6 common gaming tokens on a single cube, and quickly rotate between these tokens. Watch a bit of the below video to see how easy it is to put in new tokens to a cube:
Token designs for the ModCube are made to be compatible with the most popular sci-fi wargames on the market today! Below is pictured some ModCube sets you could make with a "ModDeux" pledge (our sweet spot!) to either be compatible with Star Wars: X-wing or Warhammer 40K.
Why not just make custom dice???
What sets the ModCube apart is the fact that it can be taken apart and reconfigured, whereas custom dice can never be changed! There are still many, many situations to use custom dice for, but there are also many where the ModCube is a better fit =)
To take full advantage of this modularity, we are including 80 tokens with each set of 8 cubes! The only exception is the Dogfight set, which includes a whopping 120 tokens! (This is due to all the half-size tokens in that set). How can we possibly afford to include so many tokens? Watch the below video to see just how efficient our laser cutting process is.
What are the choices?
Here are the ModCube sets that are unlocked:
- Dogfight - compatible with Star Wars: X-wing
- Fleet - compatible with Star Wars: Armada
- Assault - compatible with Star Wars: Imperial Assault
- SciFi Vehicles - compatible with Warhammer 40K
- SciFi Infantry - compatible with Warhammer 40K
- SciFi Mysterious Objective - compatible with Warhammer 40K
- Steampunk - compatible with Warmachine / Hordes
- Infinite - compatible with Corvus Belli's Infinity
- SciFi Crates - various tokens to use your ModCubes as crates!
- Mal - compatible with Wyrd's Malifaux
- Mal2 - a set of just Poison and Burning tokens, compatible with Wyrd's Malifaux
- Trek - compatible with Star Trek: Attack Wing
- DnD - compatible with D&D: Attack Wing
- Storm - compatible with Spartan's Firestorm Armada
- Game Creator - a set of numbers and symbols for game creators!
- Numbers Only - a set of numbers only tokens, 1 - 14
- Blank - add your own symbols or art, also available in translucent
If you don't see a game you play above just yet, don't despair! There may well be one added before the end of the campaign, as we are working on new sets all the time (our current project: a set compatible with Firestorm Armada!).
With each set you pledge for, you can choose from the following colors for the cubes, shown in the picture below. You can also choose token colors for all sets except Dogfight (whose token colors are fixed for gameplay reasons). We'll get all of your color selections in the survey as soon as the campaign ends!
ModCubes in action!
Here's a few pics of each of the already finished sets in use!
Detailed Set Contents
Below is a picture of what is currently planned for each full set. Note that the ratios of the panels in each set may change slightly based on community feedback! Paul Heaver and James Beaver gave the Dogfight ModCubes a test run at the X-wing Regionals in West Virginia, and Brad Townsend / Andrew Gonyo did similarly at a recent 40K tournament (and requested a Jink / Swoop combined token!). If you have content suggestions, please post in the comments or send us a private message!
Stress Test and Rolling Video
A common question is, can the ModCube be rolled like regular dice? The answer is, you bet it can! Just watch this video of us tossing them around:
Due to many requests, we've come up with a way to enable add-ons! Here is the current list of available Add-Ons:
- 8 cubes (no tokens) - $15
- 80 tokens (no cubes!) - $15
- A full set of ModCubes (8 cubes, 80 tokens, plus the ModCube Tool and bonus cube in any color!) - $25
This lets people who have an early bird pledge add to it at the same rate as everyone else, and also allows those who just wanted more tokens or more cubes to add them on! Note that you must be in a tier that has a shipping cost associated with it to include add-ons (so all but the $1 pledge level).
Each pledge level will automatically add shipping costs for 3 zones - US, EU, and ROW. This project is EU friendly, and EU rewards will be shipping from the UK!
Now that we have hit our funding goal, here are a few stretch goals to work towards! Future stretch goals will be determined by poll, to see what colors and game systems people would like to see offered =)
- $18,000 - Blue and Green cube colors will be offered - UNLOCKED!
- $21,000 - A token set compatible with Malifaux will be offered - UNLOCKED!
- $22,500 - Game Creator set, plus new red ModCubes - UNLOCKED!
- $24,000 - Token set compatible with SW: Armada, plus military green ModCubes - UNLOCKED!
- $25,500 - SciFi Mysterious Objective token set, plus grey ModCubes - UNLOCKED!
- $27,000 - Token set compatible with Warmachine / Hordes, plus yellow ModCubes - UNLOCKED!
- $28,500 - Token set compatible with SW: Imperial Assault, plus light green ModCubes - UNLOCKED!
- $30,000 - Free lanyard for the ModCube Tool - UNLOCKED!
- $31,500 - Free option to split any ModCube set into two cube colors - UNLOCKED!
- $33,000 - ModCube set compatible with Maelstrom's Edge - UNLOCKED!
- $34,500 - ModCube set compatible with Star Trek: Attack Wing - UNLOCKED!
- $36,000 - ModCube set compatible with D&D: Attack Wing - UNLOCKED!
- $37,500 - SciFi crates set! - UNLOCKED!
- $40,000 - ModCube set compatible with Firestorm Armada - UNLOCKED!
- $44,000 - ModCube set compatible with Mantic's Deadzone - UNLOCKED!
- $46,000 - ModCube set compatible with the new game Guildball! - UNLOCKED!
- $48,000 - Final Stretch Goal - Free Tokens - Unlocked for our amazing backers!
If you want to suggest another game or throw your support behind one of these, please post in the comments! We will be limited in how many different sets we can offer this time around, so knowing which are the most popular is definitely helpful!
First, thanks for reading this far, you really are tenacious! Secondly, I'd like to thank the many people who have helped us get this far in our dream of taking this product from a concept to a reality:
- Libet, my wife, has shown incredible patience as I bought all the various equipment needed to get this far: a 3d printer, a laser cutter, and now a shiny new injection mold!
- The Dream Wizards "DAWGs" gaming group supplied many rounds of feedback on cube and token design, going back a year and a half to the first prototypes. Thank you, guys!!
- The mod team and DCMs at DakkaDakka.com have been incredibly supportive, giving excellent feedback and several volunteering to help at convention booths. Special thanks to the Wardens of the Maelstrom!
- The AdeptiCon staff for giving ModCube it's first big reveal to the world less than 2 months ago (after working for many months behind the scenes).
- The Baltimore FabLab and Baffledazzle for giving excellent laser cutting tips and training before we took the plunge and got our own.
- The many other Kickstarter creators who I have asked questions of and who have shared their collective wisdom. Hopefully we have learned from all you've passed on!
Risks and challenges
The biggest risks have already been addressed - the purchasing and installation of the laser cutter, and the tooling of the injection mold. There are still some obstacles to overcome, but we have planned for them as thoroughly as possible.
The primary remaining risk was already addressed during the campaign - tweaking one of the key interior tolerances on the cubes to make sure they stay tightly closed. See the updates section for a great rolling video showing how tight they are now!
The production run itself is a risk, mostly one of delay - we will be aiming to ship in late August or early September, and so have left a slight buffer by listing delivery as in October. This risk is much less than in many campaigns, however, since the tooling is already done and in the very final stages of production run appproval!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)