About this project
3D4C printer is the first of its kind! A truly 4 colors blending 3D printer (CMYK) to bring your ideas to reality, and make 3D printing more interesting than ever.
Over the past few years, the 3D printing industry is booming drastically, but still at the infant stage, like the copier industry when only Black & White copier available. I wondered why nobody make a full color printer 2 years ago, so I started to develop one. After almost 2 years research and development, finally, we are proud to present our 3D4C printer to the world.
INNOVATIONS & SPECIAL FEATURES
The 3D4C printer has many innovations in the field of filament-based 3D printing:
1. The first truly 4 colors blending 3D printer.
2. Unique color blending hot-end extruder: provide accurate color blending.
3. Unique compact design, laser-cut cold-end extruders (4 units): ensure powerful and accurate filament delivery for 3D printing.
4. Original design Dual Building Platform with heat-bed: Platform 1 - MK3 Aluminium heat-bed. Platform 2 - 2mm laser-cut aluminium platform for large PLA printing (250 x 250 mm).
5. Special design electronics board: with 7 drivers to control 7 stepper motors.
6. Full metal parts: to provide accurate and fast printing, all parts are made of metals, probably the first of its kind. (except PTFE tube, couplings and belt)
7. Laser-cut Aluminium casing: to accommodate 7 stepper motors with a compact design, we use 2mm laser-cut brushed aluminium to ensure a stable framework for printing.
8. 0.4mm & 0.8mm dia. nozzles: the first 3D printer provide 0.8mm nozzles to enable extreme speed printing. The 3D4C printer can do that because it has a solid framework and accurate filament delivery system. All 3D4C printers come with 2 nozzles for different applications.
9. Seamless original design: to make a good product, you not just need a bright idea, but also a well thought original design. We think out of the box by using materials and manufacturing technique which no current manufacturers are using, and thus be able to make a high performance cool design.
10. Thanks to the original design, the 3D4C is the cheapest color 3D printer ( even compare to 2 color printers ) available in the market.
Dr Terence Kwok Ph. D.
Comments from the 3D industry:
Project Development Schedule
More video at :
Risks and challenges
Some of the risks and challenges for producing the 3D4C are:
1. Ensuring high print quality in mass production
All 3D4C printers have to be very fine tuned to work perfectly as per specifications. This will be a challenge to ourselves to ensure all 3D4C printers are up to specifications and perfectly calibrated before shipment.
A large portion of the funding will go to making special tooling for producing metal parts and casing. Fortunately, the tooling lead time is much shorter than plastic molding, so the production lead time should be shorter than normal plastic products.
There are many good open source 3D printing software which is user friendly, however, at the moment, none of them have 4 colors printing function. Base on the open source software, our software specialist will take the challenge to modify it and make a user friendly color palette generator for 3D printing.
The current price for the rewards is so low because we cut out all distributors' profit, logistics, and the advertising cost. The normal retail price for the 3D4C printer will probably around $2,500 to $3,000 after mass production under normal distribution channel. So it's a great opportunity to get something in good value at Kickstarter now. More importantly, we believe it's a blessing to give back something to the community who has confident in our project and willing to help others to make their dreams come true.
Shipping cost will be varied for different countries. It will be calculated accordingly before delivery, and our logistics will quote you the shipping cost for your confirmation. Estimate cost will be range from 50 - 250 pounds.
For international backers, there is no VAT involved. For U.K. backers, a 20% VAT will be levied before delivery, and you will be contacted by us for the exact amount of VAT and shipping cost.
We are very excited to have international backers and have planned for your support. We are going to worked out deals with major shipping providers to give international backers competitive rates.
- (30 days)