Gone to Pot: The Movie (Canceled)
Gone to Pot: The Movie (Canceled)
A comedy about two hustlers who inherit a medical marijuana dispensary - what could go wrong? Help us Kickstart the movie to find out.
A comedy about two hustlers who inherit a medical marijuana dispensary - what could go wrong? Help us Kickstart the movie to find out. Read more
About this project
Gone to Pot: The Movie
A likable con-man (Finn) inherits a rundown medical marijuana dispensary from the father he never knew. Desperate for money to pay off some Swedish mobsters, Finn and his fast-talking partner, Ziggy, believe they can turn this graffiti-covered dive into a success. But first they’ll need to overcome their disbelieving friends and family, an unmotivated crew at the pot shop and a corrupt city inspector.
Finn and Ziggy’s adventure will take them through everything from a water tower chase sequence to a psychedelic dance number.
Because of a generous team effort, we'll be able achieve the look of a much costlier film while staying within our micro budget. We have struck a deal with a studio in Los Angeles to provide us access to impressive pre-built sets, and many among our award-winning crew are longtime friends who are discounting their normal wage or waiving it entirely to work on this film.
Why do we want to make Gone To Pot?
Because you asked us to.
Over 20,000 fans have ‘liked’ this movie on Facebook before we’ve shot a frame. Our comedy video contest (see below) asking people to submit a 45 second or less video explaining why they like weed has generated submissions from around the world, including Israel, Romania, Croatia, Philippines, the United Kingdom, India and Canada. We have received tens of thousands of views and comments from fans spread over 17 countries.
We’ve got a great team of experienced professionals behind us, now all we need is the funding. That’s where you come in!
Gone to Pot Video Contest
On August 1, 2011 we launched a free international video contest. Participants in the Gone to Pot video contest are asked to upload videos explaining why they like marijuana in 45 seconds or less. The top 10 videos will appear in the closing credits of the film. Our industry judges include Academy Award nominated director Peter Bogdanovich, comedian Margaret Cho, Los Angeles Times staff film writer and James Cameron biographer Rebecca Keegan, AMC Theater online star and editor John Campea, west coast editor for Movieline.com Jen Yamato, SXSW Film Festival head of public relations Rebecca Fefernan, The Los Angeles International Short Film Festival founder/director Robert Arentz, marijuana video blogger and advocate Jaycob Erdreich (AKA Master Bong), and one of the leading activists in the fight to legalize marijuana, Richard Lee. One potential lucky backer will even have the chance to serve on this panel to judge the top videos.
Help Us Out!
The world needs a good pot comedy, but it’s only going to be possible with your help! Help us reach our goal of raising $385,000 to fund the production of this full-length film. We promise you won’t regret it. Each donation of $4.20 or more gets you a certain level of producer credit for the film Gone to Pot. How cool is that? Your name will be in the rolling credits at the end of a full-length film. You’ll also get other exciting rewards, visible to the right. Donate what you’re comfortable with, and know that your pledged amount is only charged once we reach our goal of $385,000.
That means we need you to help spread the word! Tell your friends. Tell your family. Tell your coworkers. Tell everyone you know.
If we don’t hit $385,000 pledged before time is up, Gone to Pot doesn’t get made. Donors won’t receive rewards. We’ll be sad. We really want to make this movie for you all, so spread the word, people!!!
Here's what some of the Gone to Pot rewards for helping us Kickstart will look like:
Links to Social Media & Press
Risks and challenges
Whenever you produce a film there is the inherit risk that the film is bad and doesn't meet expectations or doesn't receive distribution. In our case we have several factors working in our favor that dramatically increase the odds for success.
1) We have an experienced production team and film crew, which allows us to deliver a high end product.
2) Our personal relationships with significant actors such as Paul Guilfoyle (star of CSI), who are willing to waive their normal acting rate of pay in order to support the film by being in it.
3) Gone to Pot has already received interest from distributors and has one of the most highly respected agents in this field representing us. We also have the option to self-distribute into theaters and colleges around the country due to the heavy interest in pot comedies.
4) We've taken the time (two years) to methodically build interest in this film and have amassed 20,000 fans on Facebook, as well as cemented relationships in the huge medical marijuana community that includes magazines, bloggers non-profits, dispensary owners and merchants. We will enjoy significant publicity outside Kickstarter promoting this money raise with their willing help.
5) We've already developed and manufactured our own merchandise line and are being approached by business people interested in licensing our brand name before the movie has been made.
6) The pot community is world-wide, vast and has been supporting us from 17 countries to date. This enables us to expand our audience and revenue from far beyond just the United States, and in so doing increases the odds of success exponentially.
Success will be derived largely due to the team of committed film and business professionals associated with this project, all of whom have long individual track records of success and integrity.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)