Farmgram designs and delivers fresh meal kits that include all the ingredients you need to make one of our chef inspired recipes at home. It's like a telegram from the farm! The specific combination of ingredients and the recipes we include inside your Farmgram reflect which theme you order each week. We have an endless number of theme ideas but we plan to start with our three favorites: the breakfast box, the juicing box and the meal-with-friends box. If you choose the breakfast box, for example, we provide all the ingredients you need to make our hand crafted breakfast recipes for the week including eggs, vegetables, bread, olive oil and herbs.
The last thing we put in, and the first thing you’ll see when you open your box is a special Farmgram envelope. Inside each envelope there will be a specially designed recipe that use each ingredient in the box, one of our weekly newsletters with information on the farmers, directions for DIY (Do It Yourself) starter kits (see below), and other special surprises (like discounts to our local chocolate store)! We set out in our delivery van to bring the goodies to our eagerly awaiting customers in one of our sturdy, canvas Farmgram boxes they get to enjoy for the week.
In order to lay the foundation for Farmgram it has been necessary to reach out to every corner of San Luis Obispo from the farmers to the Health Department and from local restaurant owners to their patrons. We’re gathering a picture of what a strong community we live in and the potential for local entrepreneurs and community groups to support one another and the economic viability of local food based business.
Farmgram offers an alternative to sourcing your food from a globalized market place and industrialized food system. The process of designing, creating, packaging, delivering and consuming a Farmgram box offers a more direct link to the farmers who grow our food and people who craft the local value added products we love.
- ORIGINAL RECIPE: specially crafted and tested by the Farmgram team and local chefs. These recipes come on custom designed, collectible cards that you can share with friends and family.
- FRUITS & VEGGIES: whole, raw, fresh, vibrant, local
- VALUE ADDED ITEMS such as: eggs, breads, olive oil, nuts, honey, etc. all produced in San Luis Obispo County!
- HOME STARTER KITS: Herbs, seeds, cheese cloth, mason jars, instructional DIY recipes, and other materials for making your own almond milk, sauerkraut, or sprouts, just to name a few! We not only want to provide local goods, but we also want to teach you to make them yourself!
- EXTRA INFO: Farmgrams deliver food for your tummy and your brain. The recipes and information about our farmers and artisan producers, special events, cooking & preparing tips & techniques, and more, are created by us and will all come inside our specially designed Farmgram envelops.
We started Farmgram as a way to celebrate and highlight the abundance of locally grown produce and locally made artisan goods in San Luis Obispo County. We want to increase access to these products in our community by enhancing the convenience and education surrounding healthy, sustainable eating. We want to use Farmgram as a venue to create relationships with farmers and community members around fresh and local products and strengthen the local food landscape and vitality in doing so.
Farmgram also helps out families who are food insecure, or in other words have limited access to fresh, healthy, local food due to inhibiting transportation, financial, or geographic conditions. Each week we will donate boxes filled with fresh, local produce to families we connect with through local organizations such as the food bank.
If we get funded, the three of us will get right to work! With Tyler and Tessa graduating in June, we will start the business immediately. We will use the funds to trick out our new-but-used delivery vehicle, design our reusable Farmgram boxes, solidify relationships with our first local producers and artisans, and test and perfect the recipes we want to share.
We already have numerous customers eagerly waiting for the day that we launch. Once we get funded we will make our website public and the ordering process will become smooth and convenient for our customers in our online market place. We have already talked to the necessary people in San Luis Obispo about insurance, health codes, and a business license and are ready to jump through the necessary hoops once we have a low level of financial security.
Additionally, Tyler and I are participating in a business development course that will help us outreach to our customer segments, develop sound financial and business models, and push us to succeed.
Risks and challenges
1. We need to make sure we find a cheap reliable location to put together our theme boxes.
Solution: We have been working with a few local businesses on a space, and we're close to locking one up!
2. Our delivery vehicle must be in good working order or have a back-up plan in case it breaks down.
Solution: In the beginning phases we can use our own vehicles in the event the delivery vehicle breaks down. Once we start to grow we will have multiple delivery vehicles.
3. We anticipate continually evolving and developing our business throughout the different seasons to keep our income diversified. We are excited to get creative with the chefs once we only have access to winter vegetables.
Kickstarter community, friends, family and beloved strangers, if you have any questions or comments or want more information please feel free to contact us the address below. We eagerly await your message!
- (36 days)