PowerUp 3.0 turns your self-made paper airplane into a smartphone-controlled flying machine
Thanks to all our backers for making PowerUp 3.0 a reality!
Funding has ended on Kickstarter, but you can visit poweruptoys.com to order a PowerUp 3.0 and many more products from our collection.
Here’s how you can stay in touch regarding future product launches, feedback surveys, promotions and more:
- Subscribe to the PowerUp Newsletter
- Follow us on Facebook, Google+, youtube and Twitter
- Media & bloggers – if you’d like to run a story, let us know!
- Fold It: Simply fold a piece of copier paper into a paper airplane
- Attach It: Attach the Smart Module to your paper plane with the patented clips underneath the Smart Module.
- Connect It: Start the app to connect to the Smart Module with your iPhone.
- Fly It: Push throttle to full and launch the paper airplane high up into the sky. Tilt your smartphone to the left or to the right to steer your plane, increase or reduce throttle to go up or down.
- Crash-proof carbon fiber frame
- Precision control for easy flying
- Automatic thrust to assist when banking
- Lithium Polymer Battery provides 10 minute of flight on one charge
- Ascend/Descend using the throttle lever
- Tilt iPhone right or left for maneuvering
- Battery level indicator
- Charging status indicator
- Range indicator
- Thrust level indicator
- Artificial horizon
- Air Traffic Control (ATC)
- BLE - Bluetooth Low Energy
- Lightweight and small
- 180 feet / 55 meters of range
- Wireless firmware update
- Micro-USB charging
- 1000 mAh Lithium Polymer power pack (PERFECT PACKAGE only)
- The power pack will give you non-stop flying and can charge your smartphone as well when your power runs low during flight
Special Thanks to:
Avital Goitein, Ulrich Ditschler, Tobias Dazenko, Prashant Vaibhav Yasmin Poplawski, Andrew Sung, Cynthia Tang, Vivien Yeung, Anat Lustinger, Shay Vadel, Zoe and Lutz Vogel, Michael Muller and to all of my mentors and supporters that helped make this a reality.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We already signed agreements with key suppliers and contract manufacturers. Design for manufacturing and the iOS app are complete. We are ready to begin manufacturing the first run of PowerUp 3.0. However, delays in production may happen, depending on the factory’s production pipeline and component availability.
There is a risk with development of the Android app: It is unclear whether the Android app will perform at the same level as the iOS app. The Android API is still in its early stage and has not been fully tested for maturity and stability. With PowerUp 3.0, we are pushing the limits of Bluetooth Smart technology.
In comparison, our iOS code has been tested and perfected over the past 1.5 years as we have worked with Apple in finding and fixing problems in Apple’s own Bluetooth implementation.
Yes, PowerUp 3.0 will work with Android 4.3 or higher. Your smartphone or tablet needs to support Bluetooth 4.0.
Kickstarter allows you to choose one reward. If you would like to add additional rewards, simply 'up' your pledge. All non-U.S. backers please add the cost for international shipping once for the highest reward only.
When the Kickstarter campaign is over, we will send you a BackerKit survey asking you exactly what rewards you want and verifying your shipping address.
The iOS app works with any device that has Bluetooth 4.0. It will work on the following devices:
iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPod Touch 5th Gen or newer, iPad 3rd Gen or newer (Retina), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina.
It will not work with iPod Nano, Shuffle or Classic.
We’re currently evaluating all the ideas for stretch goals and we will publish the list of the 10 best stretch goals which we will let our backers choose from on December 17.
Android 4.3 is the first official version that supports Bluetooth 4.0. This is also why it was mentioned in the stretch goal. Pre-4.3 backers, we will try to add support for as many devices as possible. We just want to start with the official one first.