About this project
Not every queen who comes to the Drag Ball has the Aesthetic, Sophistication, and Sass to win the crown. Do you?
Drag Ball: The Game is a fast-paced (mostly) card-based game that has players stomping it out to beat out their competition and win the crown. They're just doing it in 5 inch heels.
Players choose one of 12 playable drag queen characters and develop her skills by winning challenges and pushing their competition down on their climb to the top. With a combination of strategic card play and physical challenges played out with the other participants in the room, Drag Ball: The Game promises to give players an experience unlike any game which has come before!
Featuring sickening artwork by famed artist Chad Sell (chadsellcomics.com), Drag Ball: The Game promises a tabletop experience unlike any you've ever played out before!
Aspects of Gameplay
Drag Ball: The Game is played out using rounds following the same format, with one player being eliminated each round. The sequence of play follows:
- Mini-Challenge - Players will draw a card and compete in a mini-challenge with the other direct competitors in the room with them. The winner receives a reward to push them farther in the competition.
- Main Challenge - Using a combination of the character's specific Aesthetic, Sophistication, and Sass skills, players will combine their skill points with the roll of dice to determine a challenge score. Players unsatisfied with their roll may sacrifice cards from their hand for the chance to roll again.
- Runway Look - Using cards from the Wardrobe deck, players will put together a cohesive runway look, paying attention to color combinations for extra points. Runway scores will be tallied with Challenge scores and the Top 3 and Bottom 3 players will be singled out. All others will be safe.
- Critiques - The Top 3 and the Bottom 3 will use cards from the SHADE! deck to influence scores, each vying to be the Winner of the Round... or safe from the Bottom Two. The Winner of the Round receives significant rewards.
- Fish or Filth? - The Bottom Two will have to determine if they are Fish or Filth? by facing off in a performance using a combination of lipsyncing and voguing techniques. Points awarded from other players (as well as points secretly wagered by the Bottom Two) will determine who stays. If you are Fish... you get to stay. If you are Filth.... you walk away!
What Will The Kickstarter Be Used For?
Funds raised will be largely used toward artist commission. The sample artwork provided is just an early draft and based on the high quality already displayed, the commission price is well worth it. Beyond this, funds will be used toward game production in all of its elements. Any funding received beyond the initial goal will go toward helping offset shipping costs for getting this game out to all the backers!STRETCH GOALS!
$6,250 - 10 New Cards (5 special Wardrobe Cards and 5 special Shade cards) will be sent to every Backer getting a copy of the game!
$7,500 - A new queen will be designed, bringing the total number of playable characters in the game to 13! (More stretch goals will be examined when we get there!)
Risks and challenges
There's always the risk of delays with artwork being finished on time, as the various artists this game is using all work on commission and have multiple jobs at any given time.
Board game production will be fulfilled through thegamecrafter.com and while I anticipate no major production issues on their end, as this is their business, unforeseen events may always come into play, as there may be temporary shortages on ink or paper or some such thing.
I believe that I have built myself enough time to solidify all of the technical aspects of the game's production, as the mechanics of the game have been playtested to satisfaction.
If there are any true hesitations that come about with risks and challenges with completing my project, they rest with our great Postal Service. Yes, they are struggling and yes, they have many challenges. I support them through this. But I still think they could try a little harder sometimes.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)