Caos Trigger: Golem
Caos Trigger: Golem
An awesome retro-style Metroidvania game about a girl who can create, summon, and command golems!
An awesome retro-style Metroidvania game about a girl who can create, summon, and command golems! Read more
About this project
NOTICE: We will be back by April 2015; with revised graphics, enhanced gameplay, and re-adjusted budget!
Caos Trigger: Golem is a 2d, retro-style metroidvania game for multiple platforms; including PC, Android, iOS and Ouya (with more platforms coming soon!). It also serves as a tribute to TRUE and original metroidvania games (ie the PSX, GBA, and NDS Castlevania series) as it does not stray too far away from their simple but challenging gameplay and visuals combining traditional / pixel art with a slightly modern look (the likes of 2d games ranging from the SNES and the original PSX).
Players take control of the main protagonist, Anaise in classic, metroidvania style fashion. Anaise can run, crouch, jump, and slash her way through 2d, sidescrolling areas encountering various enemies and obstacles. The game’s main feature is the creation and summoning of magical beings called “golems”. In order to summon a golem, the player must acquire “Golem Scrolls”, which in turn has information on what ingredients/materials are required to summon a specific golem. They make use of the player’s Magic Points in performing their special attacks. They also grant the player / Anaise a special weapon and other various abilities.
Caos, one of the strongest demons that ever existed, had a change of heart and decided to help a brave young girl, Anaise, in getting rid of all the demons in the world. Hoping to vanquish all demons at once, including himself, Caos did the ultimate sacrifice and harnessed all his demonic powers into one very powerful explosion.
Amidst all the demon remains, Anaise, protected by what remains of Caos' powers stood alone. She has no memories of what happened, and she was taken in by pirates who passed by the island.
Several years have passed, and now Anaise is a young woman who is mysteriously being enticed to brave a large, brooding island. Along the way, Anaise will encounter allies and enemies alike, providing her with clues as to who she is, and what her ultimate purpose was.
Like every other videogame, independently published or not, Caos Trigger: Golem requires time, effort, and utmost dedication. Sure, one can say that this game's main developer is practically a "robot" for handling virtually every aspect of the game, but even robots need fuel! With the community's help, the developer can make Caos Trigger: Golem a reality without ever needing a publisher. While having a publisher has its advantages, along with these advantages are several drawbacks which could limit the game's features and functionalities. Moreover, having the game funded by the community, developer-consumer interaction is more transparent and this game will definitely be as the developers envisioned it! Here is a breakdown of what your money will be going towards:
- Day to day living expenses - This game's main developer, JC, is a single father who takes care of an extraordinary seven-year-old son -- who is technically part of his team and is actually a consultant for most of the game's concepts and design. While JC can get through the day by being a freelance pixel artist+animator (he has quit being a professional game developer with over seven years of experience to be a full time father), with the community's help he can definitely go a long way and finish Caos Trigger: Golem without so much financial constraint.
- Physical Rewards - Have you checked out the rewards? This campaign contains awesome physical rewards -- like printed trading cards, an art book, a manga, and even 3d-printed figurines! With your help we can ship this out to appropriate backers and complete the experience!
- Awesome pixel art - Having been in the industry for several years, JC has an access to dozens of highly talented pixel artists and animators. Caos Trigger: Golem will be chock full of awesome pixel art; and JC will definitely need help in this aspect!
- A memorable soundtrack - Caos Trigger: Golem's main track (in the demo) is composed by the team's resident composer, Arbie -- who has been composing for indie games for years. With your help he can produce a professional-grade soundtrack!
- Software - Caos Trigger: Golem is being developed using GameMaker: Studio -- a highly sophisticated game engine with the capability of exporting to all popular platforms. In order for the game to be played by virtually all kinds of gamers using different devices and operating systems, the team needs to purchase appropriate GameMaker: Studio licenses.
- Hardware - Along with the various ports come the need to test the game out in various devices. The team needs to make sure that the game will run flawlessly on every port; so purchase of necessary hardware is a must!
- Programming - The core platformer engine - which was built within GameMaker: Studio itself, is a daunting task which was handled solely by JC, this game's main developer. He will definitely need help from other programmers to polish the code!
Erik lives in Puerto Rico! He is a 3d and 2d artist with a bachelor's degree in game art and design. He is the founder of Retro Age Games and has been working for over a year with Jc in other projects, mainly through professional services as contractor. He and Jc have become good friends and is now working together with Dustycat Media in the publishing of Caos Trigger and other 2d platforming games.
This game’s main developer (concept, design, art, programming), he is also co-founder of DustyCat Media. He lives in the Philippines and he has been in the local game development industry since 2006; partaking on various outsourced popular games for other well-known publishers. But even before his professional tenure, he has been developing his own games since around 2001. He and Erik became good friends through JC’s freelance work for Erik, and they have been collaborating on projects ever since.
The other half of DustyCata Media. He currently lives in Japan, which is an advantage for the game’s translation and exposure. He is also another game developer veteran; both he and JC worked for the same game development company for over four years. He’s also responsible for this game’s bug testing and various creative input.
The team’s resident character designer. She lives in the Philippines and she’s a registered nurse (yes, a nurse) who took her character designing hobby into professional territory by joining the team. She’s also responsible for bug testing, creative input, and some of the in-game dialogue.
The team’s main composer. He lives in New Jersey, and has been composing the team’s music ever since JC was just starting out his path in game development.
Risks and challenges
Because the team is composed of individuals who live miles apart, one of the challenges is effective communication and coordination; but this can be resolved through constant chat and email conversations. Another challenge is the time and effort required to finish the game. This specific game is mainly developed by core team member, JC. While he’s willing to provide 100% of his time and effort to finish the game, family and friends are still a high priority; but with enough moral, emotional, and financial back – up, he can definitely finish the game in the estimated deadline.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)