Have some questions? So did a lot of other people! A transcript of the Q&A session held on RPGNET Chat, is available here.
For thousands of years, a small group has protected the Multiverse from imbalances that threaten the very fabric of existence. Now, you have been chosen to join this select group and continue their mission... Welcome to the Order of the Link.
Order of the Link is a game about balance. This means that, when you play, you may be good or evil, lawful or chaotic - it all depends on the situation!
Zalobs, members of the Order, travel between dimensions to rectify imbalances caused by others who travel. The setting varies, depending on where they visit - they may fight with a claymore in one session and pilot a space cruiser in the next!
Nothing is impossible when you are a member of the Order.
Story details follow. If you want to know more about the rules, please skip past this section!
- The Link is a portal and cosmic thread that links an individual’s mind and body to a point in the Neutral, giving them a tiny bit of cosmic consciousness, and also allowing them to travel from their current Dimension to another Dimension.
- The Link never appears where those outside the Order can see it. It will always be in a discreet location where only the PC can view it. It will not appear in a place of direct danger.
- The Link is not a free way to escape – it will only appear when the source of the universal imbalance has been recitfied, as it can only receive matter from a stable, balanced location.
- The Link appears as a tiny point of light appearing before them, or in the distance. As they watch, it grows into a human-sized glowing star radiating out in all directions. Walking into the light will transport them to the Neutral.
- A Zalob who finishes their quest at the brink of death and enters the Link, will immediately recuperate, the "idea" of their body made whole again.
- The Neutral is a pure and infinite cosmic consciousness that fills the void and all Dimensions within it. The Neutral includes the consciousnesses of those who enter the Link, and an awareness of everything in every Dimension. The level of awareness varies between individuals, but even the smallest amount of cosmic consciousness brings a massive amount of stimulus.
- In the Neutral, the Zalob’s body becomes a noncorporeal idea. In this state they are capable of many things a corporeal being is not.
- Time does not exist in the Neutral. No Zalob or any equipment ages within it.
- The Zalob's equipment can be retrieved within the Neutral by thought, meaning players have instant access to any item ...but carrying a disrupter rifle to a stone age culture is strictly forbidden!
- Using special Psychist abilities, Zalobs can speak together telepathically and also vaguely impersonate native beings so as to blend in to the destination world.
- Those within the Neutral may sense dimensional imbalances. This elevated sense is called the "Oracle" by Zalobs.
- The increased awareness afforded by the Oracle may impart basic (and often cryptic) information or a clue concerning the nature and challenge of the imbalance, such as; "You see in your mind a primeval world, quiet and pure. Suddenly you hear the drone of approaching military airbikes..." At minimum, Zalob will know the tech level of the destination.
The Order of the Link's Rule Set has been perfected over more than 30 years - it was started in the early 1980's!
Older versions of this game have been available free for several years, but we have more recently felt a need to perfect the last few outstanding elements and create a book!
The Order of the Link Rulebook Primer includes a single dice system perfected over these years, where you aim to roll less than your Skill (or your Attribute if you don't have the relevant Skill) on a d20. If you roll low enough, you can achieve a Critical Success!
Skill checks and combat work in a consistent way; you must roll below your Skill value for a success. If you're not skilled in the specific area, the sponsoring Attribute is rolled.
Once a hit is achieved in combat, damage dice are rolled, based on the weapon.
I am going to attempt to scale a wall. The GM instructs me to roll my Acrobatics Skill number or less.
My Acrobatics Skill is:
Number 12, Crit Divisor 3, Crit 4
I roll a 10, which is below my "Number" for this skill, meaning I succeed and scale the wall.
If I were to roll a 14, I would fail to scale the wall. If I were to roll a 4, I would achieve a Critical Success and scramble up the wall in no time, and help my companion up as well!
We are offering you a "Rulebook Primer" of this book, which will contain everything you need to play - the rules, character creation, equipment and magic.
However, it only has a limited amount of history and a selection of magic spells - which we will expand if we meet Stretch Goals.
The book has been lovingly laid out to be similar to an ancient tome by John Serembe, the creator (who happens to be a graphic designer!).
For over 30 years, this game has been played and enjoyed by the small groups of people who came across it. We want to let you enjoy this creation, towering in scope and unlimited in possibilities, just as much as we have!
When we are funded, this will give us the money we need for a minimum print run of this book, bringing the game out to the players in the way we had always hoped!
Our hope is to put any profit from this Kickstarter, after printing and shipping all the rewards, into more artwork, more stories and more possibilities for players in a larger and more complete rulebook!
"Whether your game is in a medieval fantasy world, feudal Japan, the Wild West, or the depths of space, it's compatible with any genre. Link, quite simply, is the best system I've played."
“Playing The Order of the Link changed my whole perspective of role playing games. I started as a Middle Earth game player on an adventure fighting Orcs and dragons. Becoming a Link player allowed me to transcend role-playing and really become the character, because the character was me."
"The ease of play is amazing. The rules are simple and as a player I became comfortable with them very quickly. It frees you up to concentrate on the role-playing part of the game rather than game mechanics, so you can become totally immersed in the story."
"Order of the Link gives the players the freedom to play the game, avoiding tedious double-entry bookkeeping. You spend your time playing your favorite characters, not cross referencing tables and charts.”
"I was able to game in any environment with any abilities using my intellect to balance any dimensional imbalance put forth by the GM. It allowed 'Richard' to blend with my character so that challenges became real-world examples of conflict resolution. I grew tremendously as a person, not just as a gamer.”
$1500 More Magical! - We will give you more spells in each School, allowing you to be even more powerful in Psychism, Low Magic and High Magic when you play!
$2500 Army of Zalobs - We will add 20 pre-made characters to the website for you to choose from if you don't want to create your own character! A range of levels with some various archetype options (casters, swordfighters, spaceship pilots, etc) will be made available, in such a way that they can also be modified using the character creation information in the book to be a lower or higher level if need be.
$3500 So many missions, so little time! - We will give 5 extra sessions from the creator to everyone who has the Primer - that means a total of 10 for everyone who already has 5!
Risks and challenges
The book is already complete! We have gone through years of playtests and have been editing for several months, along with proofreading, all ahead of the Kickstarter.
All we have left to do now is print the book!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)