About this project
We are the team who made Design & Thinking, an Kickstarter funded film that went on to inspire audiences worldwide- We’d like your help to finish our next documentary - “Maker.”
About the Film
From the time our team of four first showed Design & Thinking in LA in early 2011, it has been screened at more than 300 events across 40 countries – inspiring tens of thousands around the world. In the two years since we completed that film, we have pondered the question many audiences asked, “What’s next!?
We aim to answer that question with our follow-up effort. "Maker" is a feature-length documentary that looks into the current maker movement in America – a new wave of Do-It-Yourself and Do-It-Together fueled by passion and powered by the advent of new technologies.
The “Maker Movement”, sometimes called the "Third Industrial Revolution," subverts traditional manufacturing by building on innovative concepts such as open source, local manufacturing, crowd funding, and digital fabrication. Breaking the hobbyist movement stereotype, "Maker" delves deep into this ecosystem of design and manufacturing in the Internet era. The film explores the ideas, tools, and personalities that are driving the Maker Movement – and returns with a timely snapshot of one of the transforming influences of the current age.
We have conducted extensive interviews of key figures behind headline-making projects, daily practitioners, and observers of the movement, in our effort to piece together what this ecosystem looks like, and present insights on how it can impact society, culture and the economy in the U.S., and the world.
About the team
- Producers: Yu-Hsiu Yang / Iris Lai
- Directed & shot by Mu-Ming Tsai
- Additional Photography: Bianca Yeh
- Editor: Mu-Ming Tsai / Iris Lai
- Marketing: Sin Wang
- Advisor: Navi Radjou / Melissa Huang
- Kickstarter trailer music by Jacob Montague
Interviewees (in alphabetical order)
- Alec Foege: Author of "The Tinkerers"
- A. Red Ukachukwu: Production Engineer of Shapeways
- Barry Katz: Consulting Professor in the Design Division at Stanford University
- Beth Comstock: CMO of GE
- Carl Bass: CEO of Autodesk
- Chris Anderson: Author of “Makers: The New Industrial Revolution”, CEO of 3D Robotics
- Dale Dougherty: CEO of Maker Media
- Danae Ringelmann: Founder of Indiegogo
- David Lang & Eric Stackpole: Co-Founder & Founder of OpenROV
- Eri Gentry & Raymond McCauley: Executive Director & Principal of BioCurious
- Eric Migicovsky: CEO of Pebble Watch
- Hugh Dubberly: President of Dubberly Design
- Jacob Ferguson: Interaction Designer of Local Motors
- Jeremt Conrad & Helen Zelman: Founding partners of Lemnos Labs
- Mark Dwight: Founder/CEO of Rickshaw Bagworks; Founder/Chairman of SFMade.org
- Mick Ebeling: Founder and CEO of The Ebeling Group (TEG)
- Jim Newton: Founder of TechShop
- Navi Radjou: Co-author of “Jugaad Innovation”
- Nemo Gould: An artist and sculptor
- Peter Platzer: CEO of Nanosatisifi
- Scott N. Miller: CEO & Co-Founder of Dragon Innovation
- Tanya Menendez & Matthew Burnett: Founders of Maker's Row
- Tim O'Reilly: Founder of O'Reilly Media.
…and more individual makers TBA
How can you help?
After completing production of Design & Thinking, all four of us went back to our original jobs. Our small team had met accidentally in San Francisco; and through our intense effort, trial, and error, plus a dash of “design thinking”, we eventually able to complete the film – with significant assistance from the Kickstarter community.
In the desire to make another great film, our team members have once again put aside their daily jobs and have been hard at work on this new project. Through our own savings we have finished shooting in San Francisco, Arizona and New York; gathering a wealth of informative interviews and interesting footage. Currently we have finished the initial production phase and are moving on to post-production.
Our initial funds been able to get us a little over halfway to the final product, but at this point we still have to do editing, scoring, sound mixing, color correction, and graphics in order to finish the film. Then we will need to move into the distribution phase where promotion and marketing expenses will also require a significant amount of funds.
Your support will help cover these expenses and increase the production value of the final product; ultimately assisting in spreading the exciting and inspiring ideas of the maker movement to as many as possible.
Our Backer Map
We will be marking the countries/areas of our supportive backers, to show the world which countries are involved in supporting our project.
For our Backers with no countries listed, do not fret! You can send us a message and we will make sure to update your location onto our map.
How can we thank you?
DIY stainless steel bridge business card holder, customized with the film's "Maker" logo on it.
Provided by Fate-design
Designer: Jo Huang
Package Size: 380*300mm
Size after DIY: 200W*48D*26Hmm
Our early-stage sponsors for helping us to finish the initial production:
Risks and challenges
The main risk the team is facing now is whether we can generate enough funding for team members to concentrate on its post-production to complete the film at the level we believe it can be and in time for initial screenings in early 2014. Usually, we are very good with deadlines but also want to make sure that we make the best film we can. We are already in the process of talking to composers, motion graphics and various roles in the postproduction process to ensure a timely completion.
"Maker" is produced by Muris LLC, an independent media startup, based in Taipei. As with our previous Kickstarter-funded Design&Thinking documentary, we do this because of passion and our love to create films on innovation-related subjects. We’ve use our own funding traveling from Asia to USA, done all the interviews required to make this film. We’re ready and able to do our part, and hoping that you will support us to bring this important and exciting project to fruition.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
For Backers who are eligible for the digital copies of Design & Thinking, and/or digital copy of Maker, we will give out the download link for Design & Thinking after the end of our Kickstarter campaign.
The digital copy of Maker will be distributed to our Backers before May of 2014.
Support this project
- (45 days)