About this project
Dark winter mornings
Getting out of bed on a dark winter morning can be tough. Lots of people need a strong cup of coffee or even an energy drink to get going.
We have an innovative alternative. SEQINETIC “sun” glasses are a calorie-free, substance-free way to beat the winter blues. They offer the bright, white daylight you’re craving – in a portable design.
While sitting in front of a lightbox can help improve your mood during the winter, not everyone has time to sit motionless in front of a lamp for a half hour or more.
SEQINETIC - 'wearable light'
SEQINETIC “sun” glasses let you wear your daylight while you go about your morning routine. And yes, you can read and use a computer while wearing them.
SEQINETIC glasses feature 6 powerful LEDs and a reflector. The reflector bounces soft white "daylight" around your eyes but not directly into them, improving your mood. The light is harmless and 100% UV-free, and the glasses are powered by two ordinary AAA batteries - rechargeables work just fine.
SEQINETIC is designed so that it fits almost anyone with one nose and two ears.
Using SEQINETIC "sun" glasses for up to 30 minutes a day, and you’ll have much more energy during those long, dark winter months.
Our mission is to lighten the mood of people who feel a lack of energy during the winter months. We want to make a product that is safe, effective, and easy to wear, for a fair price.
SEQINETIC has nothing to do with sequins, glitter or glitz. The name derives from ‘Seqineq’ which means Sun in Greenlandic, and from the Greek work ‘Kinetic’ which means to be in motion. However, if you feel like Lady Gaga while wearing SEQINETIC, that’s just a sign that you’re really lightening your mood.
We need to invest in injection molding tools for six different parts – most of them in ABS plastic, plus the nose support in Neoprene rubber. That’s an investment of around $6,000 including trial runs and (speedy!) adjustments.
We also need to prepare the PCT (printed circuit board) for real production and that costs around $2,000. The LEDs are not of cheap standard type, but a special high-quality type from Japan. These add significantly to the cost too.
- What kind of quality can I expect and what materials are used? The same quality you get from a pair of standard sport sunglasses. SEQINETIC will be made in robust ABS plastic with bright red and cool grey parts and a nosepiece in black Neoprene. The reflector is white.
- Are the SEQINETIC “sun” glasses comfortable to wear? Yes. We have been wearing prototypes for quite some time and have not experienced any problems.
- When will I receive my SEQINETIC? January, 2012 – please allow for up to 15 days for international shipping.
- Can I read a book or use a tablet PC while using SEQINETIC? Yes. It is a good idea! Especially if it’s a good book!
- Can I drive a car or use power tools while using SEQINETIC? No. Don’t do anything that can bring yourself or others in danger. Depending on the contrast between the light surrounding you and the light of the glasses, your vision quality may be reduced. If you want to go for a spin, use your exercise bike.
- Where can I use SEQINETIC? Anywhere! To minimize the risk of accident use them in familiar and well-lit environments.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (26 days)