My name is Ashram. I am a 2D digital artist specialized in realistic art creation. I had worked at Gameloft Company of Ubisoft Group for the game development of Man in Black III, GangStar , ZobieWood...etc.
You can visit my art blog : http://ashramart.deviantart.com/
I am a big fan of Holmes and I have a complete set of books of Sherlock Holmes. As a detective fan, I am very familiar with all the characters and plots. It has been a long time for my urge to create some arts about Holmes.
One day, an idea came to my mind when I was playing poker with my friends “what if I was playing poker with Sherlock Holmes illustration on the cards?” It is not only an interesting playing cards but also a mini art-collection.
I am so excited with this opportunity to pay my highest tribute to Holmes. Well….I mean highest tribute as in my respect (not cash…if you know what I mean). I have been in art profession over 6 years and Holmes is my greatest interest. I choose playing cards as carrier for this art work, because playing cards is portable, convenient for storage, and fun to play among friends.
Unlike regular playing cards, all illustrations on my cards come from either characters or relevant material in original novels. In other words, 54 pieces of cards do not repeat themselves. This deck is a mini- museum of Holmes. My work converts literal description into vivid visual enjoyment. It has 12 famous characters, Holmes, Dr. Watson, Mrs. Hudson, Inspector G. Lestrade, Mycroft Holmes, Professor Moriarty, and so on. It also introduces twenty well-known and interesting cases.
I made a mini-video for thanking Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who created Sherlock Holmes.
I have spent 3 months doing nothing but designing each card. During the art creation, I also read the novels so many times back and forth to make sure I have the accurate depictions on all characters and material. The Sherlock Holmes' playing cards you have seen right now is actually the sixth revision of my works.
Suits Playing Cards Display:
54 Playing Cards Display:
The Introduction for each playing card:
Add-On for Badges: Sherlock wanna-be? Wear one of 12-character Badges for your liking!!
Add On For Hand-signed Playing cards:
I will sign my name on the back of packing box to provide the authenticity. The hand signed can be in gold, silver, pink, or blue. Please message me for the color of your preference. Each deck is $3 CAD.
Add On For Playing Cards:
- Sherlock Holmes: over six feet tall, and so excessively lean. His eyes are sharp and piercing, save. His chin has the prominence and squareness which makes the man of determination. His fingers are long, white, and nervous. Sidney Paget designed the famous deerstalker hat and an inverness cape in 1891.
- John Watson: middle-sized, strongly-built man –square jaw, thick neck, moustache, (Milverton). Although the original work does little depiction about Watson’s appearance, this gives me a great opportunity to develop my own imagination. I think Dr. Watson is a humble person who would like to hide himself behind the scenes.
In addition to the characteristic of roles, I also consider their occupations and social status. For example, the background for Holmes and Watson is the wall of Room 221B. The background of Professor Moriarty is the bookcase and tellurion which shows his great accomplishment in astronomy.
- Emerald Snake Ring: The king of Bohemia would like to give emerald snake ring to Holmes in the story of A scandal in Bohemia, but he doesn't accept it.
- Blackmail of Milverton: Holmes throws all infamous blackmail into a fireplace to burn them out.
- Smoke-Rocket: Holmes asks Dr. Watson to set off smoke-rocket for fake fire accident in the house of Irene Adler.
- The Hound of The Baskervilles: It is a hybrid of Mastiff and Retrieval dog. Its skins are pasted by phosphorus and the dog glows green in the dark night.
- The Dancing Man: Holmes is a competent cryptanalyst. One such scheme was solved by using frequency analysis in "The Adventure of the Dancing Men" .
- Number 3 Lauriston Gardens: This building in A study in scarlet wears an ill-omened an minatory look.
- The Sign of The Four: On this treasure map, there are the signatures of four persons, Jonathan Small, Mahomet Singh, Abdullah Kahn, Dost Akbar.
- Magnifying Glass: It is the most significant personal stuff of Holmes.
- Reichenbach Waterfall: Holmes fought with Professor Moriarty at Reichenbach Waterfall and fell off the waterfall together.
There are four differences between Holmes and Moriarty decks:
- The green unlimited edition takes Sherlock Holmes on the package box, and the black limited edition uses Professor Moriarty.
- The outline borders will be different color between the limited and unlimited editions. The limited edition has the frame of the silver color and the unlimited is gold.
- The background of the limited edition is cool tone to match its design position and the unlimited edition is warmer tone.
- The back design of two editions are different.
Refer Friends :
First Stretch Goal : a handbook of Sherlock Holmes cases
Based on some feedback, I started designing a handbook of Sherlock Holmes cases. In the handbook, Dr. Watson will introduce the characters, material and locations of the playing cards from the first person perspective in a humorous way. Each chapter will elaborately display every detail about them, including the secret of 7% Cocaine solution, The Vatican Cameos, and the decoding method for dancing man. In addition to 54 images of the playing cards, the handbook offers extra illustrations. It will be one of my stretch goals.
The further details about the hand book:
- This hand book will have multi-color printing. The cover pages are composed of 200g laminating paper and the inside pages are 157g paper. The book will have 28 to 32 pages depending on the final layout. I have already contacted the supplier and he agrees the minimum printing quantity is 100 copies.
- This book is not a simply encyclopedia about Holmes because it is too boring and you can google everything. I will create the novel with delicate illustration and text to connect each element in the playing cards from the first person perspective of Dr. Watson. It is a funny interesting supplement for the Holmes museum in playing cards. To create this book, I will need to spend lots of time in researching various resources. Also I will invite a friend who has published some novels in the past to edit the handbook.
- The stretch goal for hand book is $7500 CAD. As we reach the funding number, the goal will be unlocked.
Second Stretch Goal: a pop-up book of Sherlock Holmes
This book will introduce three scenes: the living room of 221B, Baker Street, and the bedroom of Holmes. This image shows you the living room of 221B. You can open the door of 221B leading to Baker St outside .
Trust and quality are the most important parts in my project. My objective is to provide poker player or fans of Holmes with a set of unique, exquisite and low-cost Holmes memorial playing cards.
Art is very subjective. “There are a thousand hamlets in a thousand people’s eyes” (Shakespeare). Even if you don't admire my art work, you are more than welcome to leave some feedbacks.
Risks and challenges
Some backers may worry about delivery issues such as delay. To avoid such inconvenience, you will be provided with a tracking number once your order has been shipped. I will try my best to improve the procedure of my project based on your feedback.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)