This project's funding goal was not reached on December 10, 2012.
About this project
I Know Jane developed a fashion-forward, socially conscious, and eco-friendly flat that you can carry on the go!
• The Look: Using clean, modernized lines to accentuate your foot, our confident structure combines classic external colors with an inner Brazilian passion to let you command a presence!
Our color options will make your wardrobe elegant and fun and include a light slate grey, a golden honey, a calming sea foam, and a classic taupe.
• Socially Conscious: Our shoes are produced with sweatshop-free labor in a woman-owned factory in Brazil.
• Portable and Comfortable: Applying the principles of origami, our shoes collapse flat, making them easy-to-pack for daily or extended travel. Carry our shoes at all times to soothe your feet with arch support, a shape that provides space for your toes, and a low cut design that avoids common blister spots.
• Eco-friendly: The upper part of the shoe is made from 70% recycled cotton and 30% PET, made out of recycled plastic bottles. The outsoles are biodegradable. Glues used in assembly are sustainable and water based.
We offer the following U.S. shoe sizes: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Additionally, purchase our custom-made fabric bag that complements and protects your shoes, keeping your purse and belongings clean!
I Know Jane began two years ago with a single goal in mind – to improve lives. We strive to accomplish this through fashion-forward footwear and apparel that positively connect people.
I Know Jane shoes are produced exclusively through a woman-owned manufacturer in Brazil that is committed to fair working conditions and high labor standards.
We are committed to expanding eco-conscious, socially responsible manufacturing business practices around the world. For our upcoming product launch, I Know Jane partnered with a factory in Novo Hamburgo, Brazil.
Our factory in Brazil is owned by a young woman, Aline. At 25, Aline took over the factory from her father after his early passing. Five years later she is still running the factory while pursuing her law degree. Aline is committed to ensuring high labor standards in her factory and supporting sustainability and eco-consciousness throughout her industry.
I Know Jane strives to be the model for the fashion industry by contributing to the betterment of society, championing fair labor standards, and supporting fair wages. We want to improve both manufacturing practices and the lives of the people making our products. Our core values of honesty, doing good, and independent thinking drive our mission. We invite you to join us in positively connecting with our global community.
We set out on this journey over two years ago to make fashion-forward, socially conscious and comfortable shoes.
We are seeking to raise $35,000 to produce our first line of shoes. Through your support we can make an amazing product that soothes your feet and uses ethical labor and eco-friendly materials to connect our global community.
Risks and challenges
We realize that this process is more than just about selling our shoes, it’s also about getting the right shoe to the right customer and making sure that the customer is happy. As such, we have developed a plan to deliver not only a great product, but also outstanding customer service.
Our plan includes the following:
• Supplying Demand: We will limit sales of our product to the number of shoes that our factory can produce for spring 2013. If demand surpasses spring 2013 production, we will end the spring 2013 reward level.
• Answering Your Questions: We are committed to answering your questions and providing excellent customer service. We have created an FAQ list to answer common questions such as size inquiries, when to expect delivery of shoes, exchanges, etc. If you need further assistance, please email email@example.com and our customer service team will gladly help.
• Making Sure You’re Happy: If you are not satisfied for any reason, let us know and we’ll make it right. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To date, we are at our final prototype and are now waiting for the successful outcome of this Kickstarter Campaign to launch our product. Our factory is waiting and ready to produce the shoes and deliver them by our estimated delivery date. We are excited to provide you with amazing footwear while doing good!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We offer the following U.S. shoe sizes: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12.
No. The fabric envelope only comes with the shoes if you order the envelope at the $90 reward level or higher that includes the envelope AND shoes.
Our estimated delivery of the shoes is April 2013.
Returns: At this time, we cannot offer returns. However, we are committed to making you completely satisfied. We are happy to offer an exchange if the product does not fit or if there is a defect in the product. These exchanges may take up to 1 - 3 months.
If you are still not happy with the product or an exchange, we are more than willing to offer you a discount on future products. We will handle this process on a case-by-case basis.
Exchanges: We are happy to offer an exchange if the product does not fit or if there is a defect in the product. These exchanges may take up to 1 – 3 months.
If your shoes are defective, we are happy to replace your shoes! We will work to expedite this exchange. However, this exchange may take up to 1 – 3 months.
We will get your new shoes to you as fast as possible and make up for any inconvenience!
If you are still not happy with the product even after an exchange, we are more than willing to offer you a discount on future products. We will handle this process on a case-by-case basis. We will find a way to make you completely satisfied!
No. We are currently not in retailers. The only way to get our shoes is through Kickstarter. You will be the first to have our new products!
In the future, we will be in brick and mortar stores and will continue to sell online. Like us on Facebook to be kept in the loop on all of our updates!
Over a year and half we have vetted Aline’s factory in Brazil in the following ways:
● Verified Union – We independently verified that the workers in Aline’s factory are part of the Shoemakers’ Union of New Hamburg (Sindicato dos Sapateiros de Novo Hamburgo). Here is a link to the union’s website: http://www.fedesargs.com.br/novo_hamburgo.htmlhttp://www.fedesargs.com.br/novo_hamburgo.html
● Verified Working Conditions through Video Footage – Additionally, we verified the working conditions of Aline’s factory by requesting video footage of our shoes being made. Using this footage, we were able to observe the conditions under which our shoes are made. Workers appeared treated well. The factory was clean and small with a mom and pop feel.
● Chose to Work with a Smaller Factory – We also chose to work with a smaller factory where working conditions are easier to monitor and where we can build a closer relationship with the factory to make sure we are satisfied with the labor conditions.
● Vetted Factory – We vetted Aline’s factory for over a year and half in which we asked difficult questions. We asked about the workers’ wages and benefits and if they complied with Brazil’s labor laws. We asked whether the workers belonged to a union. We requested pictures and video footage of the factory and workers, and so on. Aline’s response and compliance satisfied us in each stage.
● Chose Brazil for Tough Labor Laws - Brazil’s labor laws are among the strictest in the world. Brazil’s labor-friendly constitution guarantees a certain level of worker rights that are independent of a labor union’s success.
I Know Jane is open to producing in the U.S. However, most of the infrastructure for manufacturing shoes was sent overseas when big brands went after cheap labor. As a small brand, we needed to work with a manufacturer located overseas. As I Know Jane grows, we anticipate maintaining manufacturing partnerships around the world as well as establishing ones in the U.S.
The materials used in the shoe are as follows:
● Upper – 70% of the shoe upper is recycled cotton. This recycled cotton is then blended with 30% PET, which is made from recycled plastic bottles.
● Outsoles - The outsoles are biodegradable. These outsoles will naturally decompose into the soil once the shoes are thrown away. These outsoles are composed of a natural polymer, fillers and reinforcing natural aggregates, auxiliary natural processes, and vulcanization system based sulfur.
● Insoles – The insoles are made of latex foam.
● Glues - The glues are eco-friendly and water-based.
Yes, our shoes are 100% vegan friendly. No animal products are used in the shoes. We are in the process of getting the shoes vegan certified.
Most footwear and apparel are made in sweatshops where an estimated 85% of workers are young women between the ages of 15 to 25 years old. True to its name, I Know Jane seeks to raise awareness about these women and does not use exploitative labor to assemble our shoes. Furthermore, every pair of our shoes is signed by a worker, connecting the consumer to the person that made our product.
We are committed to expanding socially responsible and environmentally conscious manufacturing business practices around the world.
The name “I Know Jane” was inspired by a good friend. As a popular name in the U.S., “Jane” symbolizes both the fashion-forward and environmentally conscious woman who buys our products as well as the women who make our products.
Our consumer knows herself and what values are important to her. She is also aware of the women who make our products. Our maker knows our consumer by the benefits she and her community receive when you buy our products. They are connected.
I Know Jane will strive to become the largest designer of socially conscious and eco-friendly shoes and apparel, produced around the world. We will become the most widely recognized brand that drives social and environmental change, enabled by our relentless pursuit of cutting-edge innovation in our designs and materials.
We will be the market leader in eliminating sweatshops by giving the disempowered a voice.
- (32 days)