Progress Update #3
Happy New Year everybody, best wishes for 2015!
Check the backer subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/superhotbackers) for constant updates. Every friday we post something small there, aside from bigger Kickstarter updates on start of every month.
When it comes to the game itself, development in December included:
- Weapon animations. Hooray for shotgun not using the same animation as pistol!
- Huge AI improvement. It's hard to showcase here, but trust me - plays a lot better.
- Lots of tiny tools and tricks for managing level flow. We now can easily set up levels with different goals and divided into distinct phases forming awesome sequences. Though it's not like we make tools just for the sake of it...
- ...those tools were developed while making actual working levels. Like an awesome subway level where you start by dropping the enemy off the platform right under the train rushing in! Or a factory with mechanical presses that can be used to crush enemies (or you) inside. And (long awaited!) Matrix-Lobby-inspired-(andnotcopyrightinfriging) level - simple as hell but makes the whole SUPERHOT gameplay shine.
- More environment interaction. Now we can build scenes with more expressive environment. Imagine a scene with a car, crashing through a storefront and killing a guy. Right in front of you.
- Tweaks in game mechanics. Like throwing guns and items is now much more powerful and useful. Lots of those changes were inspired by testing small chunks of game on innocent friends brought to the office. I'm happy to finally by on the stage to do that!
- Enemies can now pick up weapons from the ground or even catch them MID-AIR!
In January we focus on making leves and finally linking them into a planned storyline. With blocky levels we want to make a prototype of a full game. Very rough around the edges, not much to look at but everything to play.
Stay tuned for more, I'm hyped for the game as ever. See you soon!