Hi there! I'm John S. Troutman, Comic Person, and I'm raising funds to print a collected edition of my black and white comic book mini-series, The Gospel of Carol! It's already available to read online, but I really want it to be on paper too.
The Gospel of Carol shines a light onto Carol, the daughter of God. After being sent to Earth to redeem humanity, Carol spends her life preaching the gospel (about herself) and cracking wise (about literally everything else). Unfortunately, she has trouble getting out the shadow of her twin brother, Jesus, who everyone assumes is the actual savior.
The Gospel of Carol, if you couldn't already tell, is an over-the-top parody of the New Testament gospels, with a big ol' pile of apocrypha thrown in for good measure. It was written and drawn entirely by myself, and its creation as a digital series was previously funded here on Kickstarter. The goal of this campaign is to finally put that series on paper! The completed book will be over two-hundred pages and contain oodles of bonus material. Of note: The Gospel of Carol is intended for adults. It is, at the very least, PG-13.
So, what's included in this collection? I be tellin' ya!
- The Gospel of Carol #1 to 8: The original mini-series! It's a complete story, so you don't need to worry about any of those pesky cliffhangers. I'll also be editing some of the original scripts and touching up some of the artwork, making this the definitive edition of the story!
- Assorted Carol Extras: In addition to the first eight issues, I ended up drawing a nice assortment of random comics featuring Carol. Obviously those will be in the book too.
- Selected Lit Brick Strips: The character of Carol originated in one of my webcomics, Lit Brick! Relevant strips will, as such, appear in the book, with some minor edits (because some of the Lit Brick strips are a bit rough around the edges).
- Textual Extras: Every part of the book will be annotated, featuring notes on the Biblical origin of this surprisingly well-researched comic book. There'll also be a foreword, written by Wednesday White, a scholar of bizarre Christian media.
But this wouldn't be a Kickstarter without stretch goals, now would it? While the initial goal I've set is enough for a (very) modest print run, I'd certainly like to do more. So here's what happens if we clear the first 3K! Note that more stretch goals can certainly be added in the future if this campaign exceeds my expectations.
- $4000: The Acts of Miriam Mini-Comic: An all-new story in which we find out how Carol's kid sister grew up and tried to get the ball rolling on the Church of Carol.
- $5000: Another Testament of Carol Christ Mini-Comic: An all-new story in which we go on vacation with a post-resurrection Carol to America, where she shows off her wicked scars to the Nephites and gives them scalp massages.
- $6000: The Epistle of Thomas Mini-Comic: An all-new story in which the largely silent brother of Carol spins a yarn.
About The Author
John S. Troutman has been drawing comics on the internet for a very long time. They include, but certainly aren't limited to, The Gospel of Carol, Lit Brick, Sporkman, and Mary Elizabeth's Sock. More information on his comics can be found at troutcave.net.
Risks and challenges
I've already successfully fulfilled two Kickstarters, one of which was a very similar book project. Additionally, 90% of this particular book is already completed, so making the delivery date hopefully won't be a problem! One can never be entirely prepared, of course, so a danger exists that it'll take longer than expected to finish (or print) (or ship). That said, there's very little likelihood of this project not being completed and fulfilled.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)