Become the Sultan's Envoy and search for hidden and obscure Knowledge in this beautiful card game. 2-4 Players, 15-45 Minutes
**We are planning a relaunch of Sultan's Library on June 5th! Go to our Prefundia campaign for more details.**
The desert is a strange and dangerous place. And yet, there are those who are willing to risk it all to get a taste of the fortune it holds. They will travel to ancient and beautiful places. They will find riches, knowledge and peace. In the end, they will all return to… The Sultan’s Library!
In Sultan’s Library, you play as an Envoy sent out by the Sultan to gather books and return them to his Library. In your turn, you have two Actions that you can use to explore the world, looking for books. Players need to pick up any books they find and bring them back to the Sultan’s Library. Once an Envoy has deposited 3 books, the remaining players finish out the round. Whichever Envoy brought back the most knowledge will surely earn their place at the Sultan’s side!
We have worked hard to try and find the best quality components available. We know how quickly cards wear and tear, so we decided to partner with PandaGM to bring you high quality, linen embossed cards. The 6 Envoys, as well as the Sultan's Library and all the tokens, will be made of high density cardboard with linen embossing to make sure the artwork really shines. We are also including free shipping to all backers in the US, Canada and South Africa.
Sultan's Library comes with the following:
- 14 Book Cards
- 16 Event Cards
- 30 Location Cards
- 33 Journey Cards
- 24 Action Cards
- 6 Envoys and Tokens
- 1 Sultan's Library
- 1 First Player Token
- 1 Rulebook
Each turn consists of 3 phases: Draw, Explore and Score.
1. Draw: In the Draw phase you draw two cards from the Action Deck. Action cards will let you do things like Travel somewhere without paying, make other players lose Actions etc. The Action Deck also has Journey cards in it, which allows you to pay for the various things you will be doing in the game.
2. Explore: In the Explore phase, you will pay Explore points to look around the area you are in for Books. If there are no Books near you, you will automatically move on to the next Location. You have 2 Actions per turn. You can do things like Explore the Area, Play Action Cards, Pick-up and Deposit Books and more.
3. Score: If someone has Deposited 3 Books during the Score phase, the players finish out the round. You Score as much Knowledge as is indicated on all your Deposited Books. Whoever scored the most Knowledge wins!
You can watch us play a game below:
A full summary of the rules can be found here: Rules Summary
Zane Atkinson and Ryno Lourens have known each other for years. With Ryno's talent for games and Zane's dedication to his art, it was inevitable that the two of them would end up making an amazing game together.
Having thought up the idea for Sultan's Library while watching an episode of Neil Tyson's Cosmos in 2014, Ryno got to work designing and writing the cards and game mechanics.Once it was all completed in early 2015, he handed the project over to Zane, who was already dreaming up wonderful locations and beautiful books for players to explore. Now after months of blood, sweat and good old-fashioned playtesting, they are ready to bring Sultan's Library to you!
We couldn't have done it without these people:
Design: Ryno Lourens
Art and Graphic Design: Zane Atkinson
Video: Tamin Viero
Music: Grant Myburgh and Ruan Lourens
Voice Acting: Tanya Riley and Ryno Lourens
Special Thanks: Adele De Sousa, Andrew Dicks, Prasan Nundlal, Corin De Sousa, Brian Lapenny and Chibi
Sultan's Library is made of high quality components, ensuring that wear and tear won't be a problem. And since we know how much of a pain shipping costs can be, we are offering free shipping to the US, Canada and South Africa. All of our backers will also have our heartfelt thanks, and will be featured in the credits!
Each of the Reward Levels includes all of the previous levels. Here's what you can get:
We have a few Stretch Goals planned, the first of which will be revealed once we reach our Funding Goal. All of our backers from the Librarian reward level and up will be receiving all of our planned Stretch Goals.
Risks and challenges
There are still three steps that we need to complete before we can put Sultan's Library in your hands:
1) The Art - Zane Atkinson is an amazing artist and is devoted to finishing the art for Sultan's Library quickly. However, we all know that life can throw obstacles in the way. At the latest, the art will be finished by July.
2) Production - We have all seen Kickstarters take forever to get made and that is why we have decided to partner with Panda Games for this project. They have an amazing track record of delivering high quality components on time. Production could take up to 3 months.
3) Shipping - This ends up being the main expense, as well as the trickiest to get right. We are going to partner up with Amazon Fulfillment, so we can utilize their world wide network of distribution centers. The shipping will start at the latest October, 2015.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)