We collected 18k euro: 4 stretch-goals unlocked!!! ONLY MISSING ONE!!!
- Do you know who Charlemagne was?
- Yes of course, his majesty, the King of the Franks.
- And do you know where the capital of his kingdom was?
- No his majesty, I suppose somewhere in modern France.
- No, in every part of modern France, and not only.
- I think I don't understand.
- The Franks did not have a fixed capital: Charlemagne, and his court with him, moved constantly from one place to another of his reign. In this way he could lead and control the actions of his people.
- It seems a good idea, the proximity to the king is crucial for population. - And so I have in mind to do.
- You intend to move the capital, majesty?
- No, I intend to move myself, from province to province in the country, so that everyone can feel close and identify with me: no longer they have to consider me a Foreign King.
In 1831 a state was born, but a nation has yet to be created. Belgium conquered his indipendence from Holland and call a foreign king to lead the new nation. Now, a German king sits on the throne conceiving great plans for his kingdom. First step is the unification of the whole population, always divided because of cultural and religious differences. Then a high industrialization that will lead Belgium to compete with the powerful European nations. Now everyone works together for the growth of the country, under the leadership of a foreign king. For influential families ancient enmities and differences are hard to forget and each one will compete with the others to earn trust in the eyes of the king. Will you be able to be protagonist of industrialization and demographic expansion of Belgium, managing to rise your family above the others?
Here we show the campaign for the making of The Foreign King boardgame: a fast strategic boardgame for 2-4 players, aged 14+, which lasts about 40 minutes. We will make a multilanguage version including Italian, English and German. Other languages could be available if the relative stretch-goals will be unlocked.
This project is available to USA, Canada and EU backers. If you are from any other Country can check the same project on giochistarter platform.
Beta rulebook is available here.
- Because The Foreign King is a great strategic game easy to play with a short duration.
- Because The Foreing King can be enjoyed by hard-core gamers but also by traditional players.
- Because here, and only here, you can find the Deluxe edition, that will not be released on the market.
- Because thanks to its pocket format (about 17 x 11 cm) it's easy to take and play everywhere.
- Because, if with your help we will be able to produce the game, you'll have it before everyone, as any eventually retail distribution will start much later.
- Because your collaboration can help us make the game better and more interesting!
- Because we produce games from the 2007 and we sold more than 110.000 boardgame copies! Check our website page for more information.
- Because we published 28 boardgames, like Historia, CO2, Romolo o Remo, De Vulgari Eloquentia or, for Italy market, Race for the Galaxy, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Dice Town.
- Because we have and we are trusted by several international partners: Rio Grande Games (US), Stronghold Games (US), Zeta Games Ltd (US), Elfinwerks (US), Gamenyl Games (US), Arcana (US), MYBG Co. (CN), Heidelberger Spieleverlag (DE); Lookout Games (DE), Juegamos Games (ES), Black Book Editions (FR), Gigamic (FR), Matagot (FR), Artipia Games (GR), Arclight (JP), BardCentrum Gier (PL), Lacerta (PL), NSKN Games (RO) and Hobby World (RU).
A very fast example of gameplay :p
Note: this is only a prototipe on laminated paper. Final game will have real board and much better components. Colors are not final
The Foreign King is a light-to-medium weight strategy game for 2-4 players, in which you lead one of most influent bourgeois family of Belgium. Main mechanics are placement and majority, and thanks to his ease of learning and fast pace, a game lasts about 40 minutes. During the game you must pay attention to many factors and to the different strategies that can lead you to the victory. In The Foreign King, opponent's actions will be important for your strategy as yours. Especially remember: not only you must choose the best action but you also have to take it at the right moment or your opponent will prevent you to do it.
The game is divided in turns. In a turn each player takes one action, choosing it from the action that are not yet performed by others players. Availables actions are:
During the game you have to obtain the majority of citizens of your faction (your color) in the Belgian provinces (place and move citizen actions) and build as many factory as possible (industrialize province). Who industrializes first a province takes a Royal Honor, the greatest King acknowledgment.
When the King Leopold I comes in a province where you have the majority of citizens (score whit the King action) you gain Victory Points (VP); you gain more VP if the province is industrialized and depending of which type of factory there was built. To implement your strategy you need to get coins (receive coins action) and to obtain the majority of congressmen (place a congressman action). When a player scores with the King, congressmen can be moved in the scoring province to change the majority of citizens.
Only one player per time can move his congressmen in a province. First chooses who has the majority in the Congress, then the second and so on. Additional actions are the change turn order action, that allows to perform the best action at the best moment, and the Queen action, that allows players to perform an action already chosen by an opponent.
At the end of the game you gain VP for the majority of citizens in more provinces than other players, for the majority of congressmen, for coins owned and for the Royal Honors you gained during the game.
So there are many ways to win in this game and in every moment you are divided by two goals: concentrate your citizens and build more factory in the same province to gain VP during the game or plan the widest possible expansion on the whole Belgium to gain more VP at the end of the game. if you'll maneged to match these two aspects of the game you'll obtain the esteem of your King and your family will be the most influential of Belgium.
The Foreign King is a great strategic game so is perfect for gamers who wants a quick game with contained duration and like complete information, no alea and interaction among players. But his simply mechanics and ease of learning make The Foreign King perfect for occasional players as entry level in strategic board games.
Some comments from the playtesters:
"Good balance between speed and strategy".
"Great for casual gamers, deep but not long or boring".
"Unanimously we found the title great for demo areas: you explain in a moment, lasts within the hour, and has a certain complexity tactic suitable for a beginner who wants to take an extra step".
"The game runs smoothly, good gameplay, both for beginners and for gamers".
"The simplicity that does not translate into banality: the game turns out indeed very deep and interesting as you progress through the game".
"Despite being a game with few rules and easy to learn has a great strategic depth".
We are expecting some reviews in some days and we will post them here.
The game improvements has been made possible thanks to the contributions of the people who were trying it. We want to say thank you to all gamer which helped us and particularly to the Italian game clubs which joined to our nationwide playtest campaign:
Club USS Leonardo (Milano), Compagnia del Foresto (Modena), Giocare seriamente (Pescara), Il capello della strega (Cesena), Jocamus TdG (Catania) Join TdG Civitacastellana (Civitacastellana), Ludus in tabula (Milano), La Civetta sul Comò (Roma), Tdg Venezia (Venezia) Finubus Terrae (Bari), Anno Domini (Trapani). Playing prototype in Rome Playing prototype in Rome. Playing prototype in Rome Playing prototype in Rome.
1 Board 33 x 17 cm
1 King pawn 4 Player pawns, 1 of each player color
64 wooden Discs, 10 mm (citizens), 16 of each player color
1 wooden Disc, 10 mm, king color
9 Royal honor tiles 5 Textile factory wooden markers (white)
5 Metallurgical factory wooden markers (grey)
21 coin tiles: 5 gold (5 Francs), 16 silver (1 Franc)
In addition of the contents above, you can take the deluxe version. This version include the special 10 factory plastic pieces + any unlocked deluxe stretch-goal. These factory pieces are made in plastic by 3d printing technology. You can use them in the game instead of normal wooden components.
This project is available on 3 crowdfunding platforms: Giochistarter (Italy), Spieleschmiede (Germany) and Kickstarter (USA). To define the total amount collected and the relative Stretch goals activated, you have to consider the sum of the amount reached by the 3 websites. This sum is automatically calculated on Giochistarter page, which is the “official counter” of money collected by this project.
UNLOCKED! 4000 euro. All partecipants will receive the expansion Railroads.
UNLOCKED! 8000 euro. All deluxe participants will receive the exclusive expansion Riots. This expansions will not be available later or sold on shops.
UNLOCKED! 12000 euro. All The Foreign King boxes will include also 4 player reference sheet.
UNLOCKED! 16000 euro. All partecipants will receive the expansion Catholics vs Liberals.
20000 euro. All deluxe participants will receive the exclusive King marker.
- Preparations for your trip are completed Majesty, everything is ready. With which means of transportation you want to move in the country? By horse, carriage?
- I would like to travel by train.
- By train? Which train?
- The train that does not exist yet, but there will be soon. Belgium will soon be famous for its metallurgical industries and railways.
- But it is a huge undertaking, no one has yet built it in Europe.
- Exactly, it's time to progress into the future, a great future!
Considering that railways would be a great economic resource and that a complete national network would be necessary, King Leopold I was unusual for its time in planning a national network in advance before each other European country: first railway in continental Europe in 1835 has been built between Brussels and Mechelen. In 1843, Belgium had the most dense railway network in the world, taking into account of the extension of his territory. In the following years, Belgium becomes one of the major producer of railroads of the world.
Railroads expansion, allows players to build railroads to link the provinces of Belgium. Starting from any metallurgical factory your railroad will cross the Belgium, providing as many victory points as it will be long.
Contens: 10 rail tokens, mini-rulebook.
Catholics vs Liberals expansion
- What Belgians say about our politics?
- People thinks that you are a great king. But you know, Majesty, people is not interested in politics, their unique interest is a good life.
- And what politicians says about Belgium?
- Politicians think that you are a great king. But you know, Majesty, politics are not interested in good life, their unique interest is politic.
- Are you sure you are sincerely answering to my questions?
- The truth, majesty, is that Belgian population, and politicians too, are divided in two groups: Liberal and Catholics; Liberals love you because you are progressive and Catholics love you because you are catholic.
- So Liberals oppose me because I'm catholic and Catholics oppose me because I'm progressive. At least in opposition I was able to join together the entire population!
Belgium was dominated by a struggle between two political groups, known as the Catholics and the Liberals. In general terms, the Catholics represented the relatively religious, conservative and rural elements in the society, while the Liberals represented the more secular, more progressive and more urban middle-class elements. So the nation was therefore polarized between the conservative Catholics Party and the secular Liberal Party.
With the Chatolics vs Liberals expansion you will participate in the political struggle that took place in Belgium until 1917. Players will join Liberal and Chatholics party and vote in the election to change the political balance of Belgium in their favour. At the end o the game the party with majority of the provinces will earn victory points.
Contents: 10 politic tokens, mini-rulebook.
- Europe is up in arms, the revolution is everywhere.
- The people rebels against their monarchies to have the Constitution. - Do you think it will happen also in our country?
- I do not see why, majesty. You are a great king and Belgium already has a Constitution.
- But there\'s always someone unhappy and Belgium is no exception; riots will happen here as well and we will have to intervene.
- You will not want to use weapons against your people, majesty!
- Yes of course, my weapons will be firmness and justice.
In February 1848, Leopold I helped to maintain peace remaining neutral during the revolutionary events that upset Europe between January of 1848 and spring of 1849. He also played an important role in stopping the spread of the Revolution into Belgium These riots were a series of political upheavals throughout Europe, that remains the most widespread revolutionary wave in European history, but within a year, reactionary forces had regained control and the revolutions collapsed.
With the Riots expansion, players have to manage riots in the provinces of Belgium and use them for their purpose ruining the plans of the opponents. They can also use the King Leopold I not only to get victory points by majorities and factories, but also turning off the hotbed of revolution in the country.
Contens: 8 riot tokens, mini-rulebook.
The Foreign King game is language indipendant. All participants will receive a multilanguage version which included a rulebook in Italian, English and German.
The rulebook will be also translated in other languages depending on giochistarter backers: if there the users from a language group will reach a minimal amount of 1000 euro, the translated rulebook will be available online. If these users will reach the amount of 2000 euro the rulebook will be printed and added to their Foreign King copy. For example, there are 100 backers on giochistarter from Spain, 30 from Mexico and 10 from Argentina. They represent the Spanish group, so if they collectively backed at least 1000 euro, the Spanish rulebook will be put online on Giochix website; with 2000 euro or more, the Spanish rulebook will be printed. Only giochistarter users will be considered.
Shipment to USA and Canada costs simbolically 1$! Shipment cost for EU is $6.
We will ship with Postal Mail service not insured. You can insure your package against lost adding 3$ to your pledge.
Risks and challenges
Production. Rarely can occur a production delay out of our control and by our actions. For example there may be a technical problem with the tipography or a delay of a supplier.
These facts should be taken into account. Anyway we will notify you promptly if something like that were to happen.
Contents. Game specifications and contents are indicative and can be changed during final production.
Shipments. We ship by Postal service not insured. With this service the package can not be traced and, although it rarely does, it can happen a delay or a lost. We recommend to those who want to avoid any problem to add the insurance option. Note: that insurance doesn't cover any external damage to the box.
If the game will not be delivered because an our error we will resend it for free.
If that happens for a your mistake (wrong address, recipient repeatedly absent, etc.), you will have to pay $10 to resend you the game (this include also the costs of the game return to us).
If you live out of the European Community, customs taxes could be added. This usually doesn't happen for games. Check your Country legislation to be sure about that, ad this aspect is not a our responsability.
We will no longer accept complaints related to this campaign after 12 months of its term.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)