From parking meters to Art Meters. Transforming old & obsolete New York City meters into public works of art. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on June 23, 2014.
About this project
Read all about the great press and then contribute to the campaign!
- Acquiring at least 50 old parking meters from NYC to create exciting public works of art.
- Making the meters free standing and mobile so that can be placed all over the city akin to the Cow Parade and Horses, Saratoga Style sculptures.
- Working with other talented city artists who would like to design their own meter.
- An easy and ready made way to transform urban blight into urban bright especially in communities that have no museums, galleries or positive artistic outlets.
- A photo exhibit of the art meters project will be on view at the Dougherty Gallery (38-40 Crescent Street, Queens, NY) from May 16th to July 27th. www.crescentgrill.com
~ More ~
"Get Small, New York!"
Everything in life deserves a second chance… even the notorious New York City parking meter. A bane of drivers for decades, the coin operated ones have been rendered obsolete by new technologically advanced machines. But the old meters still remain, thousands in fact which have turned into real eyesores— some stuffed with trash or severally vandalized.
The city has been slow in their removal, so after giving them a real second look I saw an opportunity and took it upon myself to make something unique. Traveling under moonlight, I installed little dioramas in the domed spaces of the meters. I created tiny narratives with railroad figurines that if you blink twice you might miss. I also potted some flowers into meters whose tops were strangely missing. In the daylight I then photographed these whimsical creations.
NO PARKING METERS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PROJECT. (FYI - I removed the scenes from within... I just wanted to see if the idea could work first ;)
My goal is to work with the city to purchase the defunct meters, which are going to be auctioned off in large blocks.The funds I seek would be used to transform the meters and make them mobile by placing them in concrete stands so they can remain upright and placed throughout the city.
Additionally, I would need painting and modeling supplies plus a sturdy floored studio space due to the weight of the meters.
The meters can be turned into any theme.
Risks and challenges
I'm engaged in a dialogue with the city to obtain the meters after they are removed entirely. Afterwards, there will be considerable work to redesign the meters and to make them mobile. Transporting them afterward and getting permission to place them in certain spots and areas will be challenging but I'm sure once people see them they'll get it and welcome these public works. I hope that you can contribute to this project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (46 days)