faceGlove protects the part of the face most sensitive to sunburn and frostbite, and also prevents goggle-fog by not blocking breathing Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on March 19, 2015.
About this project
made in the USA
We have a new mask..
1. introducing, faceGlove TS (Thermo-Shape):
- microwave it. shape it. done.
- strengths: a. This faceGlove maintains a consistent shape and performance, designed by you. b. Your mask is intended to withstand 5 reheatings (though we've had success in reshaping beyond 10 times).
- weakness: a. (also its strength) it holds one shape, all the time. b. not as crush proof as our other mask (below), though some "smashings" can be repaired with reheating and reshaping.
- It takes about 2 min. to heat and form your faceGlove TS
- users: athletes seeking high performance, and a consistent aesthetic, like skiers and riders, cyclists, snow-mobilers, and motorcyclists.
- made in the USA
- demo VIDEO at the bottom of this page.
2. For the first time on Kickstarter, here's our faceGlove Classic:
- manufactured, thoroughly tested, and sold through 2 small production runs
- strength: any shape, any time -- An enclosed, coated-wire makes this the most versatile and compact mask for your nose and cheeks, ever.
- weakness: You must shape this mask each time you wear it, to get the performance you want.
- user: the utilitarian. certain skiers and riders, runners, mountaineers, paddlers, climbers, hunters, fishermen, and sailors
- made in the USA
- first time offered on Kickstarter
- demo VIDEO at the bottom of this page.
- 4 sizes (kids, adult s, adult M, adult L)
- interchangable ear loops and head straps, included
- light-weight/ compact (0.3-0.4 oz)
- colors: black, white and red.
- Red and white are both high-quality soft-shell fabrics, but may not be POLARTEC brand.
outerU, can do:
From our first small production runs in 2013 and 2014, we learned both how to, and how NOT to make and distribute a high quality faceGlove Classic. As the TS is a very similar design, we have great confidence we can deliver both the Thermo-Shape, and faceGlove Classic to Kickstarter backers faster than average.
faceGlove in pictures and words:
FaceGlove is a mold-able, soft-shell mask that protects the most sensitive parts of your face.
When faceGlove combines with a high collar, skiers and riders are covered and comfy.
If you're always cold or from Siberia,
..wear faceGlove over the stretch-tube or balaclava you already own to stay fully protected, and completely unrestricted.
- Because each part of your 2-piece mask system is suspended independently, it articulates in harmony with the 2 parts of your face.
- Mold-ability provides the perfect opening around your unique nose.
no fog, no wetness:
This means that as your face moves, your airway remains completely unblocked, preventing wetness and goggle-fog.
1. Two moldable options:
- Classic (wire), and
- TS (Thermo-shape)
(product VIDEOS found at the bottom of this page)
A. FaceGlove Classic:
Enclosed within its bottom edge, a coated-wire makes faceGlove Classic any shape, any time.
- Above, faceGlove is shaped for wind and cold.
- Below, the frame is straightened for shade and ventilation.
B. faceGLove TS:
faceGlove TS (thermo-shape) uses heat-moldable plastic to consistently retain the ideal shape you created with the help of your microwave.
2. innovative attachment: INTER-CHANGEABLE, ear loops AND head straps
Our button/hole strap system lends versatility, and extends mask life.
Our ear loops are made of super-soft and stretchy, surgeon's mask ear-loop elastic to keep pressure off your nose and ears, and remain comfortable all day.
Use the head straps for when you wear faceGlove over a neck-gaiter, stretch-tube or balaclava.
3. Nose-tip pocket
faceGlove's tiny nose tip pocket protects the part of your face most sensitive to frostbite without blocking your breathing. This pocket is also trim-able if you want to customize the fit.
..sorry..rude angle.. but had to show that we can fully protect your nose, without blocking your breathing..
The nose tip pocket also lies flat and and out of the way once you warm up (as seen in the following 2 images).
4. Helmet compatible:
Also, our straps have no metal or plastic adjustments, in order to be comfortable and safe inside helmets.
5. Compact and light-weight.
-FaceGlove is super compact and just hangs out in your pocket without getting in the way-- ready when you need it.. (0.3 oz.)
outerU roots: faceGlove logic
Your NOSE and CHEEKS are super-sensitive to FROSTBITE and SUNBURN.
Your nose is mostly cartilage and has less blood flow than the rest of your face. This is why it gets frostbitten most. Your cheek-bones are a second high-risk area.
Your nose also gets sunburned more than any other part of the face due to its angle to the sun. This makes the nose particularly skin cancer-prone. The tops of your cheeks are a second high-risk area.
The science is pretty clear:
PART II: full-face mask dysfunction
1-piece face masks are less than ideal for our 2-part faces.
Most 1-piece masks block too much of your breathing. This hot air rises inside your mask, and condenses inside your glasses or goggles.
tiny breathing holes:
The little holes in this guy's mask are just not big enough, so the mask material collects wetness and ice. Having all your breathing blocked can also be quite claustrophobic.
the special hole:
We love Air Hole's solution on a pow day, but unless you're choking on face-shots, it doesn't make much sense to give up the use of your face.
the old "pull-down"
..so you end up pulling each of these 1-piece masks down a lot of the time, and the first thing to pop out (full circle)..
..but remember our thermal imaging? It's the one thing you should keep covered!
Then, you realize it would be better to have your mouth uncovered, too. Turns out, it doesn't feel good to have your breathing blocked or face restricted.
- 1. covered noses,
- 2. uncovered mouths, and
- 3. functioning faces..
Thanks to outerU gear, inc., you don't even have to change anything you're wearing..
Just add faceGlove.
little mask, big help:
Frost-bite protection and goggle-fog are simultaneously solved as a result of:
- super-precise nose covering,
- a breathing hole that is the correct size and shape
- and by using an ergonomic, 2-piece approach.
FaceGlove is particularly effective for those who do a lot of heavy breathing--like runners, cyclists, skiers and riders, snow-mobilers, climbers, mountaineers, and hunters.
FaceGlove was born, and continues to be manufactured in North Conway, NH, in the Mt. Washington Valley of the White Mountains.
Ready for shop displays:
Many thanks to the Place Creative Company, Burlington, VT, and to Nixon Peabody, LLP.
How to shape your faceGlove Classic
How to shape your thermo-moldable, faceGlove TS:
comparing the 2 faceGloves:
Risks and challenges
Risks: Coldest testing to date is -10 degrees F (for most cold-weather athletes, this is solid).
solution: continued testing.
solution: tested by others (Without disclosing our secret material, we will say that our moldable material has been used by a variety of industries for a number of purposes).
challenge: Lack of consumer familiarity with shaping a facemask:
solution: We are working on informative video and images to help you get your mask just right.
solution: Because you can reheat and reshape your faceGlove TS so many times, you have plenty of chances to get it fitting right.
challenge: less-than-indestructible mask.
solution: education. Your mask is like your goggles, and cell phone. Just be little careful with it; it's fine.
solution: Unlike your goggles, If you crush your mask, there's a good chance you can reheat and fix it.
solution: We have also worked incredibly hard on our USA-manufacturing to create a top-notch product at a price-point that makes faceGlove worth holding onto for a long time, but not irreplaceable if you destroy or lose it.
1. There is a thin, polypropylene coated wire sewn into the bottom edge of each faceGlove Classic. This wire is central to the our mask's design and function, but presents the only potential hazard, as it is a wire worn on the face. However, this wire is very similar to that which is used in surgeon's masks, so wearing a wire like this has been standard practice in the medical industry for decades. Several dust masks on the market have even more significant pieces of metal on their exterior.
solution: To blunt the ends of the wire inside faceGlove, has been coated with a rubber compound. The two coatings on the wire itself, and two fabric barriers between the face and the wire are there to mitigate this risk of a wire poking out.
solution: We have learned to properly apply our rubber compound so it sticks in an ideal way. We also examine each wire under bright lights before putting it into a mask.
solutuion: To test against breakage we have bent and crimped many samples of the wire until failure and were able to determine that fatigue to the wire from repeated bending and straightening wasn't able to snap the wire given its surrounding by several layers of fabric. These fabric barriers prevent the wire from being crimped dramatically enough to break. We were able to break a wire while inside a mask only with a pair of pliers repeatedly crimping the wire in the same place, and in opposite directions.
In two years, no mask has been returned with a wire issue.
--We encourage all customers to return any mask that has wire issues.
--Meeting all ethical and legals standards is extremely important to us, but we have not had the funds to pay for independent testing yet. We were confident with the results of our in-house tests, and believe we are selling an extremely safe and helpful product.
1. (time) We have 5 manufacturing processes, and 5 machines to make faceGlove, but if 1 machine breaks, our production stalls.
2. ($) We learned that things break and are expensive to fix, and that every part of the manufacturing process presents an opportunity to damage a mask, and thus pay for the procedures already done, even though the mask is unsellable.
We have worked very hard on each stage of our faceGlove manufacturing over the 2 years since our initial production in order to make the highest possible quality mask with the utmost efficiency.
If a machine breaks, we have repair people on call, and can also rent machines from other facilities in the area.
We always cut more masks than we need to ship in anticipation of losses during manufacturing.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)