--- UPDATE! International shipping is now available! Add $15 to your pledge for THE BOOK, and $20 to your pledge for THE FUN PACK if you are outside of the U.S. --- Also, any backer that has pledged at a level that includes the die can add-on additional dice for $3 each!
WHAT IS GOOBLES & GOBLINS?
Oh, you mean you don't just blindly back Kickstarters with funny names? Huh. Okay then, I'll explain. Goobles & Goblins is a pen-and-paper role-playing game designed for parents to play with their children, or for any adult to play with the kids in their life. It is best suited for 1-3 young players, aged 6-11. Adventuring in a medieval fantasy world full of danger and a bit of silliness, young players will take on the role of courageous heroes as they embark on fantastic quests. The adult running the game becomes the Storyteller, guiding the creation of the game world and populating it with strange creatures, legendary treasures, and all manner of challenges for the players. Young players will need all of their Strength, Speed, and Smarts, as well as a healthy dose of imagination, to reach their legendary destinies!
WHY IS GOOBLES & GOBLINS?
Is that...are you asking where the game came from? Because if so, I originally created Goobles & Goblins to entertain my 9 year-old sister Zoë when I was visiting at Christmas. She had been watching TV and playing video games all day, which is an admirable way to while away your Christmas break, but I wanted to spend some engaging quality time with her. So we sat down at the dining room table with some pencils, scrap paper, and a six-sided die, and I made up a game on the fly.
She enjoyed it so much, she wanted to play again the next night. Then she wanted to try to run the game for her dad. It seemed like we might have created something cool together, so after the holidays, I started writing. The result is Goobles & Goblins!
Everything in the game is determined by the roll of a six-sided die and some very simple math, allowing the players to focus more fully on the unfolding narrative of the game. The rules for the Storyteller are also simple, with enough flexibility to allow for entirely improvised games. A game of Goobles & Goblins can be planned out in advance, or it can be made up on the spot to pass the time on long car rides. This freedom allows the Storyteller and the players to focus less on the rules and more on the fun!
WHO ARE YOU, GUY?
Thanks for asking! My name is Jordan Callarman, and I am a 28 year-old living in Los Angeles. I am in the 22nd grade. When I was younger all of my friends used to make me invent games for them to play at recess, and one time I got in trouble for making kids pay me candy to play in my games. But I swear that wasn't my idea. When I'm not playing, I'm an actor, which is a super serious profession. I have also worked as a kids' day camp counselor, a waiter, and a robot toy store birthday party MC. I enjoy reading books and comics, writing, and drinking unhealthy amounts of coffee. When I grow up, I would like to be a wizard.
WHAT IS THE GOAL OF THIS KICKSTARTER?
The main goal of this Kickstarter is to complete and publish the game in both physical and digital formats. The more money we raise, the more fun things I can do with Goobles & Goblins in the future, such as:
- Create a website for the game, with resources like "The Field Guide to Goobles", a section of the site for young players to send in their drawings and ideas about what a gooble might be to share with other gamers!
- Support the game with additional products like adventures, character portrait stickers to color-in and add to a character sheet, and class-specific story booklets to help spark players' imaginations!
- Other fun things! Geez, you ask a lot of questions!
BUT WHAT THINGS DO I GET?!
Right! On to the things! The various different reward tiers are detailed to the right, but the main reward is either a paperback or PDF copy of Goobles & Goblins. The 50-page game book includes:
- Rules for creating brave Fighters, crafty Rogues, and resourceful Wizards!
- All the rules and guidelines a Storyteller needs to run endless games of G&G!
- A sampling of monsters and magical items & artifacts, with rules to quickly and easily create more of your own!
- Glorious, colorful doodle art!
ARE THERE ANY STRETCH GOALS?
There are! You're very thorough...have you ever considered doing your own Kickstarter?
- $1,500 - ADVENTURE! A Goobles & Goblins adventure PDF, complete with maps, pictures, and fun suggestions for the Storyteller to up the excitement! ---ACHIEVED!---
- $2,000 - MONSTERS! A PDF loaded with stats and info on a wide variety of monsters and beasts to challenge your players!
- $2,500 - MAGIC! A PDF containing a collection of magical items and artifacts to thrill and amaze!
- $3,000 - EXPLORATION! If you'd like a more in-depth look at the world of Goobles & Goblins, the World PDF will provide information and backstory on the many different regions of the land of Glythe. Complete with maps, pictures, and plenty of hooks to fan the flames of adventure!
Risks and challenges
The game itself is already written, and is now being tweaked, reworked, and polished---so no risks there!
The biggest challenge is that this is my first official game, so I've never attempted something of this scope before. However, I've been a gamer all of my life, and an impromptu game creator that whole time. I have a lot of experience with kids, and I recently received a great reference from an 8 year-old, who told me I was a "fun adult." I've also done my research on the logistics of the physical products, so I don't anticipate any major problems.
Risks include unforeseen setbacks with the production and shipment of books or other physical rewards, but I intend to keep my backers up to date with any issues that may arise. Because I genuinely like you guys.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)