Research shows that a girl’s confidence in her leadership abilities starts to decline in middle school. We see this lack of confidence in leadership continue as girls grow up. One of the results of this disparity is the gender leadership gap. Girls With Ideas is working to prevent the gender leadership gap from happening when girls are young.
We provide interactive leadership programs designed to foster a future filled with confident, creative girls. By teaching girls leadership skills, we aspire to enrich girls' lives and relationships and improve gender and leadership equity.
There are a lot of programs that aim to build girls’ confidence by saying “Girl, you rock”...and that’s it. While we agree that empowering girls is important, Girls With Ideas is about teaching Girls ‘how to rock.’
We created this Kickstarter to launch our flagship product, the Girls With Ideas Curriculum. Our curriculum provides hands-on creative leadership training for girls ages 9-13. This curriculum was designed for girls at this age because research indicates that it is a crucial time when girls start thinking about who they are and who they want to become.
The Girls With Ideas Curriculum can be used in schools, after-school programs, community organizations, college mentorship programs, and with family or friends.
The Girls With Ideas Curriculum includes a Facilitator Guide and an Idea Book for each girl. We are offering three curriculum packages (see our rewards) where you can get a Facilitator Guide with three, six, or nine Idea Books.
Facilitator Guide: Designed for anyone to use with a group of 3-9 girls, the Facilitator Guide takes you through 20 lessons. Each lesson is designed to last 45 minutes, and includes additional resources, facilitating tips, and more!
Idea Books: Each girl receives a trendy workbook, known as an Idea Book, to guide her through the activities and provide creative space to develop her leadership and creative thinking skills. When our Idea Books are manufactured, they will also have a black elastic strap around the book and a folder inside the front cover. Each Idea Book also comes with an "Idea Ink" pen!
In the Girls With Ideas Facilitator Guide, the lessons are divided into the following four sections:
The Girls With Ideas Curriculum is different from any other curriculum. Here’s why:
- Creativity Focused Lessons - It teaches leadership through a creative lens. There is NOTHING out there that has a guide to teach youth how to harness their creativity and implement it. We see creative thinking as the most essential skill for a leader in today’s world and feel it is important to emphasise that.
- Project Based Learning - We strongly believe that you learn best by doing. Instead of just sitting around and talking about leadership and ideas, our curriculum guides the girls to select an idea that will improve their school and community and make it happen. Not only does this help put the skills they are learning about into action, the goal is to have their idea make a difference as well - lots of good stuff all around!
- Accessibility - Anyone can purchase and give this curriculum. You do not have to go to a special training or webinar to be certified. You do not need a specific educational background, you just need to care about supporting young girls! We also have listed the curriculum at an accessible price and have a scholarship program for people that cannot afford it.
Virtual High Five $10 or more
We can’t thank you enough for your support, but we’ll try! We’ll send you a shoutout on our social media channels and list you as a backer on GirlsWithIdeas.com.
Individual Scholarship $25
- Pay for one girl in need to be part of a Girls With Ideas group.
- The scholarship includes an Idea Book and a portion of the curriculum.
- You will receive a thank you note after your recipient has participated in a Girls With Ideas group.
Individual Scholarship + T-Shirt $35
Curriculum Packages $60, $80 or $100
- The Curriculum includes a Facilitator Guide and Idea Books for each girl in the group. The Facilitator Guide includes 20 interactive lessons, facilitator tips, and helpful resources. Each Idea Book also includes an 'Idea Ink' pen.
- You can indicate at checkout if you would like to receive the curriculum or send it to a group of girls in need identified by Girls With Ideas. If you choose to send the curriculum to a group in need, you will receive a thank note you from the girls that participated in your group. (U.S. Shipping Included.)
- $60 = Facilitator Guide + 3 Idea Books
- $80 = Facilitator Guide + 6 Idea Books
- $100 = Facilitator Guide + 9 Idea Books
Curriculum Package + Website Feature $200
Virtual High Five (see above) + Idea Champion T-Shirt + Curriculum Package for 9 Girls (Donate or Keep)
KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE: This reward will feature a Girls With Ideas group on GirlsWithIdeas.com and our social media platforms. Girls With Ideas will blog about each group four times during their program implementation and spotlight the backer and each girl in the group.
- Includes scholarships for 50 girls that either you or Girls With Ideas identifies.
- The recipient school or organization of the scholarships will receive five facilitator guides, 50 Idea Books, and a three-hour virtual training session with a Girls With Ideas trainer.
- You will be featured on GirlsWithIdeas.com and social media channels as a Silver Level Partner.
Gold Level Partnership $1,000
- Includes scholarships for 100 girls that either you or Girls With Ideas identifies.
- The recipient school or organization of the scholarships will receive 10 facilitator guides, 100 Idea Books, and a three-hour virtual training session with a Girls With Ideas trainer.
- You will be featured on GirlsWithIdeas.com and social media channels as a Gold Level Partner.
Platinum Level Partnership - A Girls With Ideas Event $5,000
- See us in action! Have the Girls With Ideas team come to your community, school, or organization to partner with you and provide programming tailored to meet your needs for up to 50 girls.
- This event can provide an opportunity for your staff and volunteers to have a direct impact on young girls in their community.
- Each girl will get a Girl With Ideas t-shirt and an Idea Book to take home!
- We will work with you or your organization to put together a press release and promote your event on our social media channels.
- After the event, Girls With Ideas will provide a summary and photos of the event as well as follow-up materials for the girls.
- You will be featured on GirlsWithIdeas.com and social media channels as a Platinum Level Partner.
- (Travel of the Girls With Ideas team not included)
Customized Reward - $10,000
- A video about your Girls With Ideas group
- An in-person training session with a Girls With Ideas founder for facilitators
- A large Girls With Ideas conference
- Customized lessons and activities for conferences and camps
My name is Dr. Allison Poss and I am a founder and the CEO of Girls With Ideas. I am a licensed school psychologist and also have a doctorate in leadership studies. I have dedicated my life to researching and teaching others about the importance for leadership to generate creative ideas that add value to the world.
Last spring, I was working as a school psychologist and saw a need to develop the leadership skills of the girls in my building to help promote a positive school culture. I had recently graduated with a doctorate in interdisciplinary leadership studies and I knew that leadership from the kids could help solve some of the problems the school was having. I wanted a modern, engaging, and fun curriculum to teach a group of girls leadership skills but I couldn’t find anything. So I decided to write a curriculum myself!
Why leadership? Leadership is more than getting a group of people to follow you. Leadership is about living out your values, solving problems, taking a stance, working with all kinds of people, being a thinker and a doer. Leadership skills = essential skills that we all need to navigate life.
I worked with a group of girls and asked them to come up with an idea that would improve their school. They had lots of them, and as people heard about their ideas they asked me for copies of my lessons so that they could do the same thing with a group of girls they knew. I took a step back, brought in a team of experts and refined the curriculum to make it even better, and Girls With Ideas, LLC was born! Learn more about our team and their areas of expertise here.
Girls With Ideas is a new business. We are using Kickstarter as a platform to help us launch our first product, our curriculum. To get a minimum order of our curriculum written, designed, published, and shipped we need to raise $20,000. This money will literally kick-start our company and all funds will go directly to the production of the Girls With Ideas curriculum; we will not be making a profit.
$13,500 of our goal is to fund the design, publishing and shipping of our first order. The other $6,500 will go to the fees to be on Kickstarter, creating our Kickstarter video, and the costs of the others perks and shipping.
Curriculum Packages - When the Kickstarter campaign ends, we will need four weeks to finish designing the book. It will take another four weeks to have the books printed and shipped. Our goal is to have them in your hands by May 2016. Your t-shirt will be shipped with your curriculum package.
Partnerships - For those of you partnering with us to provide scholarships, they will be distributed on an as-needed basis (May-September 2016). Your thank you note delivery will vary depending on when the group that receives your scholarships completes the program. You will be notified of where your scholarship went as soon as we send it out!
T-Shirts - For those that select the individual scholarship and a t-shirt reward, your t-shirt will be shipped in April 2016.
If you cannot contribute monetarily, you can still get involved and show your support in the following ways:
- Follow us on social media! Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
- Share our project with your network.
- Apply for a Girls With Ideas Scholarship to receive the curriculum for free so you can lead your own Girls With Ideas group.
- Send any resources you find on this topic our way.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at our Kickstarter and learn about Girls With Ideas!
Risks and challenges
We have produced prototypes of the curriculum and have negotiated pricing and production times from a local print manufacturer. I am able to visit the location where the curriculum packages are printed and will be picking them up and shipping them myself, so there is minimal risk involved in the production of the curriculum. Our t-shirt manufacturer is also local and is ready to go as soon as I provide order numbers.
We want to build a community to support girls that have big ideas and one of the biggest challenges with building a community is spreading the word about what we are doing and getting the curriculum in front of as many people as we can. We appreciate all of your support and help in spreading the word and making this project successful!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)