A New Fossil Coloring Book - Journey Through Prehistory
Vanished Kingdoms is the very first adult-style coloring book to feature wondrous prehistoric landscapes and fossil creatures in a journey through geologic time, from the Cambrian Explosion to the last great Ice Age. Along the way, you'll explore the history of life on Earth as you meet and color 100 pages of amazing, intricate prehistoric creatures with a creative twist!
Vanished Kingdoms takes you on a trip from the Cambrian (541 - 485 million years ago), when complex life first arose, to the Pleistocene (2.5 million - 12 thousand years ago), a time of vast glaciers and giant mammals. In each time period, you'll find a series of pages filled with unique fossil species - and a little bit of background information to let you know what you're looking at!
What You Get:
- Paperback binding
- 10x10 inches
- 100 pages
- Exterior: Full-color, glossy cover with foil stamping
- Interior: Fully-colorable black and white uncoated 105 lb paper
Coloring books for adults reduce stress, relieve anxiety, and spark creativity while exercising your entire brain. Even though coloring is an easy activity, your focus and concentration on the task allows your other worries to fade into the background, giving your brain some time to recharge. Even if you don't think you're that into coloring, you might want to try it out!
The mother-daughter duo:
About the Author
Andrielle Swaby is an evolutionary biologist and naturalist who works as Manager of Evolution Education at the Paleontological Research Institution (PRI) in Ithaca, NY. She is an experienced editor and graphic designer, creates educational programming for students and teachers, designs exhibits, and is the mastermind behind Paleozoic Pals (PRI’s own line of plush fossils). Andrielle started Phylogeny Unlimited because she wants to see more toys, games, books, desk ornaments, and all-around fun stuff that brings science, nature, and evolution into the public eye through the exploration of prehistoric life.
About the Artist
Robin Swaby is a professional fine artist and graphic designer who paints and illustrates in a variety of mediums and styles, including oils, watercolor, pastels, and digital design. She is the recipient of numerous awards both internationally and at home, and has taught art workshops worldwide. With a keen interest in the natural world, she was excited to blend her interest in science and decorative design for this unique coloring book. Robin is available for custom artwork and freelance projects, and can be contacted through her pattern design website.
Why Are We Making This Book?
Phylogeny Unlimited is founded on three main principles:
1) Science is FUN. Phylogeny Unlimited brings Earth science and biology into the home and classroom in a way that is integrative, hands-on, and above all, enjoyable! With our products, people of all ages and backgrounds can enjoy and appreciate the experience of learning something new about the natural world.
2) All living things are related. The evolutionary history of life on Earth is an exciting and fascinating topic, but it’s often inaccessible to the general public. Phylogeny Unlimited makes evolution an accessible and understandable topic by presenting evolution in a fun and insightful way through hands-on learning.
3) Prehistoric life is more than just dinosaurs. There's a huge focus on dinosaurs in popular culture, but there are thousands of other fascinating species that made their mark upon the prehistoric world for millions of years before dinosaurs came onto the scene. Phylogeny Unlimited reaches deep into Earth history to showcase the amazing living things that have populated our world since the beginnings of complex life.
- Get 5 full color digital wallpaper designs from the book.
$18: One Book
- One copy of Vanished Kingdoms, digital wallpaper, and a unique bookmark.
$35: Two-Book Bundle
- Two copies of Vanished Kingdoms, digital wallpaper, and two bookmarks.
$85: Five-Book Bundle
- Five copies of Vanished Kingdoms, digital wallpaper, and five bookmarks.
$85: Show Your Style
- Ogygiocaris trilobite t-shirt, debossed padfolio, and one copy of Vanished Kingdoms, along with digital wallpaper and a unique bookmark.
$100: Artist's Gift Set
- Asaphus trilobite tote, set of 50 colored pencils and one copy of Vanished Kingdoms, along with digital wallpaper and a unique bookmark.
$175: Sponsor A Page
- Choose a favorite fossil species and we will custom design a book page for you, with your name (or someone special) as a sponsor. We will surprise you with a custom page made in the same creative style as our other designs, and you'll get a preliminary review of the proof before it's finalized. You'll also receive both a black-and-white vector, and colored digital art print of your page. Includes one signed copy of Vanished Kingdoms, digital wallpaper and a unique bookmark.
$300: Art Angel
- Want to help us get off the ground and continue with more fun projects like this, but you don't want any merchandise? We would welcome your support! Pledge at this level and we'll also send a free book to a library or school of your choice. Your name will be added to the book as an Angel Sponsor.
$500: Creative Classroom Connection
- Sow the seeds of creativity and science in your favorite teacher's classroom! We'll send 10 coloring books to the teacher of your choice along with a t-shirt for the teacher, and a set of 50 colored pencils. Your name will be added to the book as a Super Sponsor.
Any backer can add these to their pledges! If you would like one, just increase your entire pledge by the following amounts.
$45: Art Prints
Set of four (4) watercolor-style colored art prints from the book. You'll receive physical (8.5 x 8.5 inches) and digital copies.
$100: Custom Art for Personal Use
Work directly with the artist to transform one fossil animal or plant species into custom tattoo art or a logo design for your personal use. You will get three revisions and we will provide you with a scalable vector graphic.
$10,000 - Bookplates
- Everyone will get a fully-colorable bookplate to add to their coloring book!
Other surprise stretch goals will be announced as we reach our goal!
We haven't listed a huge amount of stretch goals yet because we want to focus on making this book the best it can possibly be (and growing Phylogeny Unlimited so we can make lots more cool stuff in the future). We have some great ideas for adding more goals and unlockables in along the way. So stay tuned, keep watching, and share with your friends to make this project a huge success!
Risks and challenges
I have run 4 successful Kickstarters for the Paleozoic Pals plush toys so I have a good understanding of how Kickstarter works and how to fulfill promises made during the campaign. This is my first time doing a Kickstarter for a publication, but PrintNinja, the publishing company we're using, has lots of experience with printing for crowdfunders and I'm confident in their quality and that they'll get it right!
With any new project, delays in production and customs processing are challenges that can always occur. Depending on the volume of orders I receive here, shipping may also take longer than initially anticipated. We will be working on the book layout and artwork while the Kickstarter is still running in order to get a head-start on sending the book to the printer once the campaign finalizes, but unforeseen delays can always occur due to work and life events.
It takes time to create original artwork! Depending on how many custom commission add-ons are selected, we will need time to complete these artworks for you. We will keep in close communication with pledgers who select this add-on so you know where you are in line and have a realistic idea of when you will get you original illustration. Since custom commissions will be fulfilled digitally, this will not impact fulfillment of your physical rewards.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)