About this project
Gar can't decide between the man who plays games and the man on one knee with a ring. In fact, Gar can't decide on anything because every choice seems like a compromise. THIS MUCH (or An Act of Violence Towards the Institution of Marriage) is a performance about how we define relationships; through objects, clothes, traditions & other people.
This play is complex provocation to examine our assumptions about relationships, but more importantly it's going to be a roller-coaster hour of humanity in all its glory; wedding disco classics, confetti explosions, broken hearts & blood on the dance-floor.
THE LIST have already picked us as one of the top 20 'Best Theatre Shows' at Edinburgh 2015.
Here's a brief rundown of what we've achieved so far:
- John Fitzpatrick spent six months in the Royal Court writers' programme writing the play.
- Nik Holttum has come on board as Exec Producer and provided seed-funding to get it off the ground
- MOVING DUST, led by Artistic Director Kate Sagovsky, has taken on production of the play.
- Park Theatre (London) supported research & development to get the play up on its feet.
- We've gathered an amazing ensemble company whose collective experience spans the breadth of UK theatre. But more important than their impressive CV points is the passion, imagination and personality they each bring to the project.
WHERE & WHEN?
The project is well under way and soon audiences will be able to see it. Summer 2015 will see our first run of performances
- 2 preview shows at Ovalhouse (London) | 31st July & 1st August
- 23 shows at Zoo Venues, Edinburgh Fringe Festival | 7th - 31st August
We've lined up the dates, the venues and the company and we're ready to roll. We've also invested a significant amount of cash (£16k to be precise); been supported in-kind to a value of nearly £10k (including free accommodation, marketing and rehearsal space); and we've put in 2786 hours of unpaid work (and counting). But producing ground-breaking theatre ain't cheap, and there are some things which cost more than our collective charm can buy.
In total our budget is £22k even with all those unpaid hours. These costs include venue hire, flyers & posters, keeping our actors from starving, insurance, that perfect wedding gown, travel and some nice lights so you can see us.
We're nearly there, but we need your support to get us to the church on time.
We know everyone can't buy us a present off the list but we'd be delighted just to have you there on the day, or even a home-made retweet to your followers will help us towards our happily ever after.
Risks and challenges
We may end up the toast of the town with the crowds shouting our name from Arthur's Seat... or we might be panned in a one star sarcastic throw-away review from a critic with a whiskey hang-over.
Either way there's no other platform like Edinburgh for getting attention; for the play, the company and the ideas at the heart of the play. If this play has an audience, Edinburgh is the perfect place to start finding it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)