Artist Alyssa Dennis created Common Knowledge to promote education on wild edible and medicinal plants, found specially within the urban landscape, through a visual vocabulary of plant illustrations accessed through interactive and participatory learning tools. It is a cultural platform for sharing information and engaging with children and adults alike. Common Knowledge advocates for an increased awareness of our natural environment while promoting the idea that plant knowledge should exist as common knowledge. This project is rooted in "green" philosophies, alternative pedagogies, nutritional activism and the principles of a gift economy. With our ever-increasing interest in alternative and natural healing, Common Knowledge intends to propagate conversations around our ages-old symbiotic relationship with the plant world, which provides us with physical, mental, emotional and spiritual sustenance. Common Knowledge will operate regionally and has started its journey by showcasing plants found in every urban environment in the northeastern US. These species are strong and resilient and actively work to restore nutrients to damaged city soil. They become an example of nature's endurance and perseverance against great odds. Perhaps they can help guide us to do the same.
All Illustrations and art work were drawn from edible plants found in Brooklyn, NY
In short we want to:
1. To bring knowledge of plants and their stories back into the realm of Common Knowledge.
2. To explore the hidden lives and gifts of some of the most prolific wild plants, which we negatively label as weeds.
3. To develop fun, easy and supportive ways to teach people about plants.
4. To promote biological systems as a crucial component of the production and resources of a thriving city.
5. To generate autonomy and empowerment around mental and physical health with the idea that we are each our own best healers.
1.We can do a large print run of our 50-page interactive plant hunting, activity and coloring book and make it available to people far and wide.
2. Put other Common Knowledge products into production like our 40-card memory game, our seasonal temporary tattoo sets, our large format coloring pages, and so, so much more.
3. Connect with non-profit educational initiatives to provide plant tours, workshops and immersive installations.
Printing costs for just coloring books and deck of cards:
Plant Hunting Coloring and Activity book (500 copies): $2,117
Plant Hunting Memory Card Game (1000 copies): $2,700
Then there are all our other gifts, Kickstarter fees and shipping costs
Please consider donating what you can. Every bit helps.
1. To continue to create a diversity of active and play-based learning material about plants.
2. Currently, Common Knowledge only includes plant species of the northeastern US. We would like to expand to include regions of the south starting with New Orleans and west coast regions starting with San Francisco.
3. To collaborate with herbalist, plant healers, advocates and educators to dream up new ideas of renewing and strengthening our ages-old connection with the plant world.
Risks and challenges
All of the content for this kickstarter project was put together by artist and activist Alyssa Dennis. She and her team at Common Knowledge will do their best to serve the goals of this project. Thank you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)