Papercut is Re-Imagining the Magazine
Papercut is Re-Imagining the Magazine
We're going beyond content to launch a new magazine subscription experience to bring you the best of the emerging creative community.
We're going beyond content to launch a new magazine subscription experience to bring you the best of the emerging creative community. Read more
About this project
What is Papercut REPLAY?
Papercut REPLAY is a new type of monthly Magazine subscription. It goes beyond images and ads to deliver a 360° interactive and consumable experience. As a subscriber, you’ll be able to download new music from rising musicians, snag under-the-radar designer offers, explore new art, and participate in innovation through new apps and services before anyone else. You’ll also get our new 9” by 12” print edition, and interactive versions for iOS and Android.
So Why Do I Want It?
Like us, you're tired of the same magazines, peddling the same stories, filled with same ads on the newsstand or in Barnes & Noble. You still love magazines for their rich and engaging storytelling, typography, layouts, and beautiful imagery, but your needs are not being met as social networking, websites, and mobile apps now make up the bulk of your multi-media experiences.
Papercut REPLAY fills this void by taking the best of what magazines have to offer and leveraging the services, brands, and products developing from within the creative arts and technology community to provide a rich experience that goes beyond just content.
So What Do I Get?
As a subscriber to Papercut REPLAY, each month you will receive:
- A 9 by 12 inch glossy print edition of Papercut Magazine delivered to your door. Printed by Latitude, this organization makes a difference by allocating 50% of its profits to communities living in extreme poverty and utilizes 30% recycled paper. Finally, a print publication with a purpose!
- The interactive edition of Papercut Magazine for the iPad, iPhone and Android smartphones and tablets. This isn’t your average swipeable PDF! Living up to the name, our interactive edition features multimedia content including videos, audio interviews, music, slideshows, cinemagraphs and more.
- A digital music album from emerging artists of a wide variety of genres for you to discover new bands and sounds. The first album is the REPLAYNATION Music Mix featuring new artists from REVERBNATION, a top destination for rising musicians.
- An art or photography print from an emerging artist delivered to your door plus access to art-discovery platforms like TurningART to explore underground talent.
- Promotional offers from a variety of emerging brands and websites. Some of our launch brands include ilwyw.com, Thankster.com, Bow And Drape and Stunner of the Month.
- Exclusive early access to products and services being developed by budding digital entrepreneurs and startups. You’ll be the first to try out new apps, beta launches, websites and services.
- Lastly, you’ll get to join the conversation. Through Google Plus Hangouts On Air and other submission tools, you’ll get to voice your ideas on topics, bands, designers, artists, startups and brands that you’d like to see covered by Papercut Magazine and included in the Papercut REPLAY package. After all, content should be created, not dictated.
Each month, we’ll have exciting new music, fashion designers, art, culture and digital innovation for you to explore and experience. As more people sign up, the more we can do! This is just the beginning. We can’t wait to show you what else we’re capable of.
Papercut REPLAY Launch Partners:
- 31 Bits
- Cala Ossidiana
- I Like What You're Wearing
- Karen London
- Latitude, (Formerly Print4Change)
- Lara Jade Photography
- Stunner of the Month
- Zack Lo Shoes
We Need Your Help
To get Papercut REPLAY off the ground, we need to raise $40,000. This total represents the minimum amount of capital needed for us to pay for the initial print production run of the new issue and art prints, cover shipping & handling and to acquire the software licenses to publish digital editions. To accomplish this at an efficient price point, we need to produce at least 2,500 issues and prints.
This is where you come in. Every dollar, every pledge and every Papercut REPLAY subscription that you order will bring us one step closer to reaching our goal!
We’re ready to launch. ALL WE NEED IS YOU.
For more information check out our Re-Imagining the Magazine overview below
A magazine is simply a device to induce people to read advertising. ~ James Collins
Not much has changed in the world of magazine publishing since its inception. You give publishers your money, they give you a packaged set of articles (and even more advertisements), you read it once...maybe, and then you toss it aside to collect dust. #Fail
A magazine should be more than just a collection of articles, images and ads. It should stand for something, a way of life, a call to action. The people reading the publication should be just as involved in the creation of the publication as the editorial team. The content shouldn't be focused on propagating popularity, but about building community.
It’s Time to Re-Imagine The Magazine
Papercut Magazine is dedicated to exclusively promoting and cultivating the emerging creative arts and technology community. We believe that every artist and creative company starts somewhere and that the genius, projects, products and obstacles faced by these individuals are just as important if not more so than the celebrities, Fortune 500 companies and other popular trends that dominate.
To date, we've published 26 issues featuring hundreds of creative artists and brands. We've covered everything from 3-D printing and nuclear power to Kenyan refuge camps and sustainability. We are very proud of what we accomplished thus far, but we think we’re only just getting started. There are so many more ways we can tell the stories and show the work of emerging creatives and rising brands. In order to do so, we need to throw out some industry practices; many of which don’t make much sense in the greater scheme of what we want to achieve. We decided to Re-Imagine what it means to publish a magazine, create content, distribute it and engage with our readers. The final result is what we’re calling Papercut REPLAY.
Going Beyond Content: Welcome to Papercut REPLAY
Papercut REPLAY is a new way to think about publishing. It’s a monthly subscription experience aimed at bringing you access to the best content, products and brands developing at the crossroads of emerging creative arts and technology. We’re tired of just telling people about all the cool brands and artists out there. It's time our readers start to experience them.
When you subscribe to Papercut REPLAY, you will have access to our print and interactive-iPad editions, plus:
- Music - Each month, subscribers will get free downloads from rising bands and musicians. We'll feature a variety of musical genres to introduce you to new sounds and ensure there's something for everyone. It’s the perfect way to support new talent, while also allowing our subscribers to discover great music. To help us kick things off, we’ll be working with the premier destination for rising musical talent, REVERBNATION, to offer Papercut REPLAY subscribers the REPLAYNATION Music Mix which will be jam-packed with the latest music from talented REVERBNATION artists.
- Emerging Brands - We are collaborating with new designers and brands to offer Papercut REPLAY subscribers special offers on their products, giveaways and early access to their latest collections. Why settle for fashion spreads, when one can help support these amazing designers by wearing their stuff? Some of our initial partners include ilwyw.com, Cala Ossidiana, Karen London and Stunner of the Month. Stay tuned for more to come!
- Startup First Looks - We are teaming up with startups and creative entrepreneurs to get our Papercutters first dibs on limited beta invites to new websites, services and apps. With Papercut REPLAY, you’ll now be at the forefront of what’s next and have a chance to shape the future of innovative technology. The first startup we're introducing you to is Consignd.com. It’s a new marketplace curated by experts and tastemakers. We'll be working with their team over the coming months to test out a new integrated e-Commerce tool for bloggers and content creators.
This is just the beginning. We’re in talks with dozens of other emerging brands, artists and entrepreneurs to make the Papercut REPLAY experience even better. We can’t wait to reveal what else is in the works.
Re-Imagining Print: More Than Just Paper
Why even consider print during the digital revolution? It still has viability as our readers and contributors still demand it, just it’s role has changed. Showcasing emerging artists of all kinds, the conceptual nature of our publication is a snapshot into the creative zeitgeist of the moment. With this coffee-table-book quality, our readers and contributors still want to invest in a tangible product they can keep and cherish. However, print shouldn’t cost an astronomical amount! As part of our mission to go beyond content, we’re going beyond merely printing as well. Instead we’re printing with a purpose with our partner Latitude. Latitude is a tremendous organization that takes sustainable printing to a whole new level. Not only do they utilize 30% recycled paper, they donate 50% of their profits to communities living in extreme poverty. They provide food, water, shelter, education and micro-finance to those most in need. Turning a page in Papercut’s 12 x 9 inch glossy-print edition means you’ll be turning the page on global poverty.
Re-Imagining Digital Editions: The Interactive- iPad App
Not to be outdone, our interactive-iPad app will be Re-Imagined as well. A quick look at the digital-magazine landscape reveals a bunch of publications that either include features for "feature's sake" or try and pull a fast one by merely giving you a digital PDF. #digitalfail
We launched our first interactive-iPad app last May and we continuously experiment with ways to take advantage of digital platforms to provide multi-media extras that enhance the user experience. For Papercut REPLAY, we want to take it up a notch and experiment with HTML 5 to enable embedded commenting, e-commerce and language translations.
Papercut REPLAY subscribers will get the best of both worlds: a print edition that matters and a digital interactive-app that pushes the envelope.
Re-Imagining Content: Creation, Interaction & Engagement
For us, it’s not just about providing a richer experience for readers to just sit back and consume. We also want to promote content creation, interaction and engagement. Since December 2010, we host open calls for creative photography teams to submit their work which then is published into our editorial-only issues. The response is overwhelming and the quality of work is phenomenal.
This is so successful that we want to open it up to more creative fields including art, music and film. In fact, for our very first art open call we’ll be teaming up with TurningArt, a new art subscription and marketplace platform that assists people in finding art pieces they truly love.
You don’t need to wield a paint brush or play an instrument to leave your mark in this creative ecosystem. As a Papercut REPLAY subscriber, you’ll be able to take part in exclusive monthly brainstorming sessions on Google+ where you can join on-air hangouts to vote on future themes, ask the Papercut team questions and share your own ideas. Don’t be shy. Join the conversation!
Re-Imagining Distribution: Crowd-Powering Publishing
The upfront costs associated with creating a multi-medium publication (interactive-iPad app, digital and print editions) has witnessed the industry adopt more extreme advertising opportunities. We don’t blame them, of course. The traditional way to pay for it is through advertising. Or, you can do what we did and provide it through on-demand platforms like MagCloud. It’s great, but it’s also very expensive, and leaves the publication out of reach for many.
So, we have a better idea and thus, we turn to Kickstarter as a first step. Why Kickstarter? Basically, both of our missions match! Kickstarter is a crowdsourcing platform for funding creative projects. Papercut Magazine is a crowdsourcing platform for showcasing the best in emerging creative talent and consequently chronicling the global creative ecosystem. Because we look to you as fashion designers, artists, musicians, photographers, digital entrepreneurs, cultural crusaders and all other creatives who make our publication top-notch, it makes sense that we’d look to you to get our project off the ground. Do you crave the cutting-edge? Are you curious about what other emerging creatives have brewing in their brains? Get inspired. Get global. Join us in making Papercut REPLAY a reality!
More specifically, we’re calling upon the Kickstarter community and our fellow Papercutters to join our subscription drive as we look to amass at least 2,500 backers and raise $40,000. If enough people subscribe and join the Papercut REPLAY community, we can hit our minimums for printing and cover design software licensing costs.
The Papercut REPLAY Monthly Subscription Recap: What You Get
For the cost of a couple cups of Starbucks coffee each month, a subscription to Papercut REPLAY will get you:
- A big, beautiful 9” x 12” glossy print edition of Papercut Magazine delivered to your door.
- The interactive-iPad edition of Papercut Magazine with future platforms like Android to come.
- Free music downloads each month from rising bands and musicians starting with the REPLAYNATION Music Mix.
- Special offers and giveaways from new designers and brands like Cala Ossidiana and Karen London.
- Early access and beta invites to new apps and services from creative entrepreneurs and startups like Consignd.com.
- The chance to vote on themes and topics for future issues.
- A better night's sleep knowing your print-edition subscription is helping to end global poverty.
- A chance to be a part of and make your mark on the future of publishing.
Risks and challenges
It's no secret that the media publishing industry, magazines in particular, are in a state of flux. Print subscriptions are declining while digital sales haven't picked up the slack. The biggest risk for us is simply that we decided to pursue a project in the publishing industry.
There are many unknowns and there are no best practices as of right now. For example, Newsweek is canceling print, the New York Times put up a pay wall and The Huffington Post developed an iPad app. Being a publisher today means a lot of experimentation. It means one can no longer dictate where one will publish but instead has to provide content on a wide range of platforms (print, digital, web, etc.) where readers choose to consume media.
What makes us confident is that over the last two years of publishing Papercut Magazine, we figured out how to produce great content in the digital era. We've done our experimenting and we finally understand what kind of publisher we will be.
Additionally, we are not starting from scratch. We already publish a print edition. We are just making it little larger and lot more affordable. We already have an interactive-iPad app on the iTunes Newsstand. We now want to package it with the print version so readers don't have to choose. We already have a lot of the relationships in place to provide promotional offers, music downloads and first looks. All we need to create is a critical mass of subscribers and pre-orders to start the Papercut REPLAY engines!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)