About this project
Please note: The $60 pledge tier and all above it include a Digital Copy of the Alchemist's Journal.
CO-OP IS IN THE GAME!! Every penny from this point forward goes to expanding the game. More summons, more monsters, more townsfolk, more customization options, more pets, more areas, more spells, more features!!
WHAT IS NEKRO?
Nekro is an overhead, randomly generated action game about summoning evil forces of darkness to do your bidding!
Hailing from the era of great classics such as Myth: The Fallen Lords, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Dungeon Keeper and more, we are creating a game rooted deep in PC gaming's history, but with all the flourishes you've come to expect from a modern experience.
Combining full HD graphics, a unique premise, solid gameplay, and tight controls Nekro can be one hell of a game - but not without you...
We love that old school gameplay with new school flare and attitude. For Nekro, we decided to combine the best elements from our favorite games of the last couple decades while adding in our own personal twist.
Nekro is a light-hearted yet dark themed game about controlling a powerful necromancer. The game's premise was created from a conversation that went something like this: "Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a game where you could just walk into an innocent town, raise a bunch of zombies, skeletons and monsters and watch while they rip the townspeople to shreds?" Then we paused and said, "Well, why isn't there?" What followed was many nights concepting, discussing and creating. "Wouldn't it be cool if the Nekro could craft his own spells, but...collecting reagents in a randomly generated world!" The cumulative result of these discussions is what you see before you.
In Nekro, you are the bad guy; a powerful necromancer able to create unthinkable horrors out of the twisted lifeless corpses of your enemy. Blood is your fuel; razing towns and slaughtering anything that opposes you is your creed. Even though you are evil, the humans of the land are corrupted, and will stop at nothing to wipe you out. You will face many enemies and challenges in the world of Nekro. Here's some of the content rich features you can expect to see in the final product:
- A completely randomized world: Never play the same game twice.
- Fully-integrated crafting system: Your spells and 'armor sets' are created with the things you find in the world...and the things you take from those within it.
- A beautiful and rich world to explore: Nekro will have a host of unique tilesets and locations. From the burning hells to the ravaged lands of the east there will always be a new place to go, and as always, all of them are randomly generated. The game will put a big emphasis on exploration and discovery. The world is teeming with things to find and enemies to conquer.
- Unique creature-based gameplay: Your summons will do your bidding but are not under your direct control. Each creature you create will have a set of behaviors unique to it. It's up to you to find the best combination of creatures to use for each situation. However, the nekro himself isn't powerless. If all else fails, you can always run intro the fray; transforming into a powerful demon and lay waste to your enemies.
- World changing events: Each faction of the game (the nekro, the humans and the neutrals) gets their own world events that happen at random and can drastically effect the outcome of a fight. The nekro casts the world into Eternal Darkness, boosting his power. The neutrals summon The Werewolves of the Full Moon, spawning deadly werewolves across the land. And the humans call upon The Crusaders of the King, sending out extremely powerful templars to hunt monsters.
- Available for PC, Mac and Linux: And completely DRM Free! (We hate it as much as you)
For a more in depth look at Nekro's game mechanics, read this Q&A session.
SCREENSHOTS AND ART
Troll, Nekro, The Evil
Shade, Horror, Punge
Priest, Witcher, Townie
(In Game) Punge, Townie
(All in-game images pre-alpha)
WHO IS DARKFORGE?
DarkForge is a group of industry vets hailing from studios such as Blizzard, Sony, Microsoft and more. We have many years of experience creating quality games for both ourselves and large AAA studios. We have the knowledge, talent and drive to bring you this game and we will stop at nothing to make it happen. All we need is you!
- Collector's Edition Box Copy: The box will be signed by the entire team and made out to you!
- iPhone/Android 'Alchemy App': View in-game models in real-time 3D, get all the stats on any unit in the game, try out different brewing combinations, test out unit stats, and read live updates about the game on this awesome portable app.
- Desktop Pictures: Some slick high-resolution desktop pictures featuring the art of Nekro!
- Art Book: This is the complete collector's item. A digital, paperback, or hardcover Art Book chocked to the brim with quality Nekro art.
- Personalized Gravestone: Death knows no bounds when you are immortalized in pixelated stone!
- Punge Plushie: Vomiting all over your enemies never looked so cute! Get your very own punge plushie with this reward! (Image is an artist's rendition, actual plushie will vary.)
- Alchemist's Journal: A different perspective into the world of Nekro! The Alchemist's Journal contains a visual reference to the lore, spells and creatures within Nekro's unique universe.
- Create a Character: Work with us directly on Skype to bring your custom ideas to Nekro! What kind of creature will you create? We can take any idea and work with it to fit it to our style and lore!
- Shrine: Special in-game shrine made to your likeness. An entire area of the human's town will be created just for you! We'll decorate your shrine with flowers, skulls, kittens...whatever you want!
- Play Starcraft 2 with us: You're going to get pwnd. That is all. :)
- In-Game Ad Space: Have your own company's name or logo hanging off buildings within the game! We will be handling this very tastefully, nothing will be shoved in your face.
More funding allows us to expand the game, adding additional content, characters, spells, locations, items and gameplay. Here's some things we have on our wishlist that can be possible with additional funding:
- Multiplayer - We're huge fans of co-op games and a co-op or head-to-head multiplayer mode is right on the top of our list.
- Ports - Bringing the game to Xbox or PS3, or making a lightweight port for iPhone or Android.
- Localization - More languages means more opportunities.
- Remaining Publisher Free - We support indie games completely, they are the next step forward in the evolution of gaming and we want to be part of that movement to "take games back."
THANK YOU for taking the time to check out our page, our game, and all the rewards we have to offer! We're so excited to make this dream a reality, and we're looking forward to moving forward with you, the community, to make this game something exceptionally special!
Special thanks to: Aaron Hecht, Steve Juarez, Steve Kim and everyone who helped make this Kickstarter happen!
We appreciate the fact that you think our game is finished! That means we did our job presenting it well. However, the reality of the matter is that the game is not finished. It is in a pre-alpha state. What that means there is still about a year to a year and a half worth of work left. We have paid for the development of the game up to this point out of our own pockets. We did this to show you, our backers, that we're serious about this project. We need the money we are asking for to continue development and finish the game within this year's timeframe as our own personal savings can only stretch so far. We are unable to finish this game with the amount of content we have planned without the additional funding from this Kickstarter.
We will do everything we can to get the game on steam. Keep in mind, Valve chooses which games to put on their site so a submission process must take place. Some games don't make it on steam because Valve doesn't want to host them; so ultimately, this choice is not up to us. However, we will do everything in our power to put the game on steam.
No, please add $15 to the pledge for international shipping.
All of us here at darkForge have worked in the industry for over 12 years. We have worked for large companies and small studios alike. We know the business inside and out. We are not promising anything we cannot deliver on. Ultimately, it does come down to trust so we understand this may be a concern to you. I'm personally happy to answer any questions you might have about our experience and histroy. Please send me a personal message and I'll do the best I can to address your concern.
We need to employ an animator, and a couple artists, as well as a sound engineer/composer for about a year. In reality, 100,000 is not enough to do that, so we will be filling in the gaps ourselves and with our contacts we have in the industry. But rest assured every cent of the money will go right back into the game, and will make the development of this game possible.
We're glad you asked! Check out our game mechanics Q&A:
and #2 here:
Yes, here's what it includes:
-DRM-Free copy of Nekro
-Name in Credits
-Demonic Pig Pet
-Nekro "I'm a backer" Costume
-Access to one free DLC pack
-Community Armor Set
Support this project
- (30 days)