Hello everyone, we have some really exciting news to share with you. We will be launching Nekro onto Steam's Early Access service on May 2nd! I'm sure you have a lot of questions about what that entails, so let me try to answer them all.
What is Early Access?
For those of you who may not be familiar with Steam's Early Access service, it is a way for developers to let players test their games before the game is considered complete. Games on Early Access are updated, and all users who have purchased that Early Access game get the update. This allows constant feedback on the game as it progresses, facilitating a relationship between player and developer that can help games cater more to the desires of the player base.
Why Early Access?
We are at a stage in the game where we feel very confident in its performance. It has a lot of content in it and it's fun. We were holding local playtests to get feedback, which has been extremely positive, but it's time to get feedback on a much larger scale. We will be entering Nekro into public Beta, which will allow us to get tons of feedback on what people like and what they don't. Steam's Early Access is the best way to reach a large audience while cultivating constructive opinion and moving the game forward as a large group.
I Hate Early Access Games! Why DarkForge, WHY!
I'll be the first to say I have mixed feelings about the way Early Access is being handled; I myself have purchased Early Access games only to be burned by the developers not delivering on promises or updating half a year apart.
Here's why Nekro is different:
- Nekro has already been in development for 3 years now - it's not in Alpha; it's in late Beta.
- We have a fully playable game - bugs are at a minimum, all core mechanics work, we've tested the game to all hell and it's fun.
- We will be trying to run our Early Access with an open door policy. Myself and other core members of the team will be personally responding to posts on our Steam Forums. I will attempt to ensure all voices with something constructive to say will get heard.
- We intend to release at least one update every two weeks.
OK, So What is Actually Included with the Early Access Game?
Upon launching Nekro on Steam's Early Access here's what will be available:
- 8/20 Levels will be in the game and fully functional.
- 7/9 Summons will be fully functional and playable.
- 17/20 Enemy Units are in and functional.
- 3/5 Nekro Powersets will be fully functional and playable.
- 14/18 Trinkets are present, collectable and useable.
- 1/2 of the Multiplayer Units are in and playable.
- Multiplayer is fully functional.
How Long Until Nekro is 100% Finished?
From the time we launch Early Access, depending on feedback, we anticipate the game to launch in mid to late 2014.
I Bought the Game at the $15 (Or Above) Tier, Do I Get To Play Early Access?
Yes. We are opening Early Access to every Kickstarter backer. You guys have waited long enough.
What About Rewards?
All rewards will be sent out when we ship the final game, not for Early Access. This includes Digital Rewards.
I Pre-Ordered the Game, Do I get to Play Early Access?
What Platforms Will Early Access Be Available For?
Windows, OSX and Linux.
How Much Will the Early Access Game Cost?
If you are a backer, or pre-order you will be entitled to one free steam Key. Additional copies will cost $19.99 USD.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to leave a comment and I will try to respond to everyone. Also, if you have any further questions we can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks everyone for their continued support, this is a HUGE step for us to be putting the game into your hands so soon! Please help us spread the word about the game and be sure to follow us on our social channels!