At Crust Worthy, we aim to be your local artisan baker, providing naturally-leavened bread and specialty baked goods to your neighborhood.
Whether it's a fresh, wholesome sourdough loaf for your family's dinner table, or a box of vegan sourdough muffins that'll make you the office hero, our greatest pleasure in baking for you is the chance to share, celebrate, and gather around delicious, wholesome food.
Who We Are
My name is Chloe, and I am the owner, founder, and head baker behind Crust Worthy.
In 2016, I embarked on a food-lover's quest to learn more about cooking practices that better nurture health and sustainability. The more I discovered the benefits of naturally-leavened sourdough and quality baking, the more I desired to share my creations with others.
What We Do
Crust Worthy is currently a small-scale, community-supported baking operation, located in Pittsburgh, PA.
We use sourdough to promote socially and environmentally sustainable baking in many ways:
- All of our naturally-leavened bread and sourdough-infused baked goods are made with organic grains and wild yeast
- We support and purchase from small, local farmers and businesses
- We engage in community events and education, and keep an open dialogue with customers about current and future products
- We provide high quality, nutritious, and delicious products for our customers
- All of our current offerings are vegan (dairy-free and egg-free) with no "fake" imitation ingredients
- Many of our offerings are free of soy, peanut, corn, nuts and tree nuts - allergen-friendly!
Thus far, Crust Worthy baking has been a one-woman operation, essentially an addtional full-time job alongside an already full-time work schedule, and strictly bound by limited materials, space, and funds.
This summer is going to be an even busier time for us, with these exciting developments well under way:
- Baking out of The Bakery Society
- Farmers Markets
- Special Events and Festivals
- Wholesale out of local Pittsburgh businesses
- Sourdough-based Workshops
- Pop-up events
There's still so much to do, and we're willing to do it all (including all the boring paperwork) - but we'll need your help to get us there!
How You Can Help Us Bake for You
Thanks to our wonderful customers, we've earned just enough to get us started baking in our new space. However, we're asking for a bit more support to help us plan for our future and cover the following expenses:
- 6 months Space/Rent at The Bakery Society
- Market and Event Vendor Fees & Applications
- Food Service Certificates, Permits & Fees from Allegheny County
- Compensation for helping hands at Markets and Events
- Additional Storage, Equipment, Packaging & Baking Supplies (Nothing fancy, but we sure could use it!)
If you've gotten this far, you probably dig Crust Worthy bread. Or, at least the idea of someday eating our bread. So the main focus of our rewards will be...well, yeah, bread!
If it's the sweeter, sourdough-enriched stuff that you fancy, don't worry - there are rewards for those too. Ah, the promise of freshly baked goods...they can all be yours with your pledge of support.
You'll even find some non-edible reward opportunities, so you can enjoy the long-term satisfaction of supporting Crust Worthy in so many ways. Please check it all out!
Describing Crust Worthy as "we," rather than "Chloe" or "I," barely begins to recognize the incredible collective love and support that I have already received. While I am currently the sole operator of Crust Worthy, I cannot express enough gratitude to my partner, friends, family, and community - and to the many hardworking cultures and microorganisms that make our sourdough so special! Together, we have made Crust Worthy possible.
Hope to break bread with you soon!
Risks and challenges
A common challenge for bakeries is having just enough product to meet demand, while not over-baking and wasting product. Our pre-order baking systems guarantee a certain level of production that will overcome the expenses of bringing our product to market. Once at market, we'll be able to better understand our customers and expand our operation to more wholesale and retail opportunities.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)