This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
Kaladin: a Stormlight Archive Album + Art Book
Kaladin: a Stormlight Archive Album + Art Book
An original cinematic-style book soundtrack inspired by the Stormlight Archive novels by Brandon Sanderson.
An original cinematic-style book soundtrack inspired by the Stormlight Archive novels by Brandon Sanderson. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
About this project
Above: Recording Kaladin music with the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
Below: Adding choir to Kaladin music at EastWest Studios in L.A.
Tina recorded cello for THATH, helping to bring Navani to life
With our stretch goals, you will help choose which songs you want to have recorded, and you can be a big part of getting the album recorded at the world-famous Abbey Road Studios in London:
You will get to experience the creating of an epic fantasy book soundtrack album:
A big part of any project that connects to the worlds of Brandon Sanderson is the art! The fandom of Brandon Sanderson is a community rich with artistic talent! When backing Kaladin, you will be empowering the creation of several new amazing pieces of Stormlight Archive artwork by nearly 40 artists.
The CD Booklet
The Kaladin Art Book
We're taking the CD Booklet and expanding it to create a companion Art Book. By selecting this reward tier, you will receive both the CD and the Kickstarter-exclusive Kaladin Art Book, which will feature between 100 and 150 pages full of Kaladin artwork, artist bios, and stories about the album and the art. While preparing for this Kickstarter, we contacted nearly 40 extremely talented artists - and every one of them was over-the-top excited about the opportunity to provide you with their best work.
This Art Book will be an exceptional piece to have in your collection!
* Designs are currently being finalized
Every single backer (even the lowest tier*) will receive 1 of 6 collectible The Way of Kings character art cards. Digital tier backers will receive a digital art card, while physical tier backers will receive a printed trading-card sized art card.
The artist, Seth Keller, is hard at work finishing them up for us to show you, but for now, here's an example of what they'll look like. (This one of Jasnah is not included.)
* Excluding "The Renarin" tier
We'll select one randomly for you, because that would be fun - but we're also offering them as an add-on, so that you can collect all six!
*Note: the glyph surrounding Navani is the THATH glyph. It is blurred in the image above because it will be officially revealed later this year at the afterparty for the album.
We've worked hard to put together the best collection of rewards we can while taking shipping and fulfillment into account.
Have fun choosing, and above all, we’re massively grateful for your support and excitement.
* Merchandise designs are still being finalized
How Add-ons work:
You can add additional items (called add-ons) to your pledge by choosing the item(s) you would like and then following the instructions below to add to your pledge! There is no base pledge required in order to purchase add-ons.
If you are interested in any add-on that is listed but not yet unlocked, let us know, and we'll notify you directly when it gets unlocked!
Botanica Xu Kaladin Character Bookmarks
We're excited to present these Kickstarter-limited bookmarks designed by Botanica Xu! (Designs coming soon!)
$2 each, or $12 for the full set of 8
$1 each for digital bookmarks or $6 for the full set of 8 digital bookmarks
Seth Keller Kaladin Character Art Cards
$3 each or $12 for the full set of 6
$1 each for the digital cards or $5 for the full set of 6 digital cards
Have Your Album Signed
$5 per album signed (includes the signatures of all the composers)
* You must purchase a physical album in order to select this add-on
You can be a member of Bridge Four, become a Lighteyes, or even wield a Shardblade as a Shardbearer!
$20 per selfie drawn (wallpaper)
$10 for the PSD template so you can photoshop your friends in
How it works
1. We'll offer a couple templates to pick from. You pick your favorite.*
2. You'll send us a quick snapshot of yourself or of a person you'd like to have inserted into the template.
3. One of our artists will draw you (or your friend) into the template and send you back a digital copy which you can keep or take and print!
* Currently showing the Bridge Four template. Other templates will be made available after the Kickstarter closes.
The full album - MIDI songs
Own a little "behind-the-scenes" with the complete set of our MIDI tracks. These are our original compositions before they got orchestrated and recorded.
$7 for the complete digital set
$20 per added physical album
$15 per additional digital album
* both versions are available for every tier $17 and over
$57 per added physical Art Book
$40 per added digital Art Book
* digital version is available for every tier $17 and over. Physical version is available for every tier except The Renarin
Dedicate a Song (Website version)
$5 simple dedication - $7 colored dedication - $15 dedication with a short message (75 character limit)
$20 dedication with a short message and a special email sent to the email address of your choice on a specific date with a printable certificate containing Kaladin art of the dedication
The Black Piper Will Write You a Custom Song!
Sylphrena Art Prints
NOTE: These are not final designs for the Sylphrena art prints, but are examples of Cheryl's amazing work
Conductor Score PDF
Only available through this Kickstarter, you will receive a downloadable PDF of your favorite song from the Kaladin album!
$15 per song or $45 for the entire Kaladin score!
Literary Consultation from Sae Sae Norris!
* A comprehensive description of this add-on can be found here.
We have two simple yet very important objectives with our campaign:
1. Raise at least $600K from Kickstarter pledges through Stretch Goals*. We know this is a massive objective, but doing so will let us:
- Record all the music we want (2 discs totaling ~95-100 minutes of music), using the London Symphony Orchestra, which is a world-class orchestra that has recorded some of the most iconic film music, such as Star Wars and Harry Potter (and so many others), as well as using the London Voices choir which has recorded music for some of the biggest films of our time, such as Interstellar and The Hobbit.
- Hire some A-list musical artists to provide you with some exciting bonus tracks. We have our hearts set on some pretty big names, and we've already been in contact with their representation. We wish we could tell you who we're talking to, but some of them have shown interest. If we can raise enough funds, then we can offer them what they're worth!
2. Ignite a relatively unexplored musical/storytelling medium! As composers and filmmakers, we're extremely passionate about film music, and we've always had the belief that books should get a similar treatment! How often do you put together a music playlist to play in the background while you're listening to your favorite book? Having a soundtrack for a book makes an immense amount of sense, and we want you to help us prove the idea!
* Please note that goal budgets are subject to change, based on tier pledges and item costs. (We are continually looking for ways to offer the best product for the best prices.)
With our first goal, we'll be able finish recording, mix, and deliver 14 complete tracks. Each of the tracks has been written, and most of them have been recorded. We're hoping to far exceed our first goal and be able to record a total of 31 songs (two complete CD's).
In no particular order:
- 1. The Most Important Words a Man Can Say
- 2. Hearthstone
- 3. Stormblessed
- 4. Sylphrena's Theme
- 5. Honor Chasm
- 6. Alethi Codes of War
- 7. Highstorm
- 8. Chasm Kata
- 9. Three Glyphs (Wind, Protection, Beloved)
- 10. Wandersail *
- 11. The Tower
- 12. Thath (Justice)
- 13. Shallan's Lullaby (Bonus) - Instrumental **
- 14. Tarah (Bonus) ***
* Wandersail still needs flute, choir, brass, and some winds recorded
** We want Shallan's Lullaby to have vocals, but not just any vocals. To do it the justice it deserves, we need to hire some outstanding vocalists. This will be possible as we reach our highest tiers!
*** Tarah has not been recorded yet but will be with the completion of the first Goal.
Once we achieve Goal 2, we'll be able to record some new songs that can only be recorded by achieving this goal! With it, we will be able to record the following songs in Prague with the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra:
- 1. 16 Seconds Pre-Death
- 2. Bridge Four
- 3. Bridge Four Shield
- 4. You're In My Spot
- 5. The Rhythm of Mourning
- 6. Sas Nahn (Without Honor)
- 7. The Assassin in White
- 8. Honor is Dead
- 9. The King's Wit *
* The King's Wit will be written, recorded, and performed by PROJECT Trio, a very lively group who will put the fun in this song!
With the successful completion of Goal 3, we'll be able to record even more songs using the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.
- 1. The Day of Recreance
- 2. The Way of Kings
- 3. Tien
- 4. Unite Them
- 5. Odium Reigns
- 6. The Blackthorn
- 7. Oathpact Abandoned
- 8. Tarah (orchestrated) *
- 9. I Fall From the Sky (Bonus)
* in Goal 1, Tarah will strictly be a piano solo. With the successful completion of Goal 3, we will also record the Tarah piano solo, together with some moving orchestral moments.
** "I Fall From The Sky" is a working title
We want to give this album everything we've got! Goal 4 will allow us to add some serious polish to the entire album. By reaching this goal, we'll be able to record the album with:
- the London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road
- London Voices at Air Studios
This is no small thing! The LSO is the same orchestra that has recorded such iconic films as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets! By recording with these groups, each track will not only stand out but will inspire epic awe!
By completing Goal 5, we'll be able to hire two amazing performing artists for the Shallan's Lullaby duet. We're under some serious non-disclosures, but the artists we're talking with are true A-listers, and we're very excited for this Goal.
Last, but not least, with Goal 6, we'll be able to:
- Hire an amazing, world-famous alternative rock band to write, record, and perform an awesome bonus track
- Hire a world-famous violinist to collaborate on I Fall From The Sky
Again, we’re bound by serious non-disclosures, but we’ve gotten to a good place with our talks, and we just need to make an offer. The success of these stretch goals will allow us to make the official offers and get their talent attached to the project!
1. Pledge as much as you can. When you back this campaign and select a reward tier, you know what perks you will receive. The tier price is a base price, and Kickstarter allows you to add more to your pledge. By adding more to your pledge, you become eligible to receive any number of add-ons, which you can choose from once the campaign ends. More information about add-ons is included above.
3. Share our Kickstarter campaign link personally with at least 10 friends through email or a private message on Facebook. Nothing means more to a friend than a personalized private message. We cannot emphasize enough how valuable this is. If we combine all of our social circles, we can reach a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise get the chance see hear about the campaign. Here’s a sample message, if you’re looking for inspiration (feel free to copy and paste):
“Hi [First name], hope you’re doing awesome! I want to share this Kickstarter project with you. It’s a fantasy book soundtrack based on Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. It looks really epic and unique, and you don't have to have read the book to be a part of the journey!! I pledged as much as I could because I REALLY want to see this album made. You should check it out, I think you’ll want to hear it too. Either way, I appreciate your friendship. Talk to you soon! http://www.fundprojectkaladin.com”
4. Share our Kickstarter campaign link to any media contacts, email lists, or other social media you may have (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.).
If there are any specific rewards that really interest you - tell people about them!!
The great thing is that Steps 2-4 do not cost money and are so valuable to getting the word out! Even if you can't contribute much, please help spread the word by doing these steps. We appreciate anything and everything you can do.
How much does it cost to make an album? $110,000 seems like a big number! That's more than what most people make in a year. So where does it all go? Be prepared, the answer is long and a bit boring (and a little crushing) but it is extremely important to take it all into consideration.
We don't get to keep all the money we raise on Kickstarter.
Here is a breakdown of the costs:
Our official "release" will be right around Christmas 2017, and we are aiming to have everything shipped with enough time to arrive by Christmas within the Continental U.S. Should there be any delays whatsoever, we will communicate those with you, but we are doing everything possible to build extra time into our timeline to prepare for anything that will arise.
There are several reasons we chose to Kickstart this album. Here are only a few:
- We want to share the process of creation with you. When you back our project, you become a part of it. We love that!
- We want you to have a say in what we build
- We LOVE the excitement we are seeing as the project spreads!
There are so many more reasons, but it all boils down to us wanting to share the power and excitement of creation with you.
We think we have the best team in the world! Everyone from the Producers to the Composers, Artists, and Orchestrators to the Music Prep staff down to the Performers themselves are working tirelessly to bring you the best and most epic music and artwork they can!
Here is an introduction to the producers and composers. There are WAY too many artists and performers to share here - and we're still finalizing that list - but they will all get full credit for their work on the album and the art book!
We’ve worked hard to give you as much reward value as possible while also taking into account that crowdfunding order fulfillment can be a huge challenge. We have systems in place to fulfill all orders, but we are acutely aware that several notable Kickstarter campaigns, including some of the highest-funded, have been unable to fulfill their orders, and we will NOT be one of those.
We're using BackerKit for the Kaladin project. This allows us to charge actual shipping costs when packages go in the mail. This will not only help us reach our funding goal, but it will help to ensure that we can fulfill all your pledges. For this reason:
Shipping costs are not included in the pledges for this campaign. You will be charged for shipping once Kaladin is ready to ship.
Estimated Shipping Costs
The Black Piper plans to ship all pledges from either our Los Angeles fulfillment center or our Hong Kong fulfillment center.
To help give you an idea of how much shipping could be when we send the album to you, we've collected some estimates. These are conservative estimates, assuming a 1 lb / 0.5 kg package containing the album and additional tier merchandise. We will continue to search for new shipping methods throughout and after the campaign (and will update these values accordingly), but please recognize that we cannot control or predict actual shipping costs to every destination.
- United States: $2.00 - $4.00
- Canada: $15.00 - $20.00
- Europe: $20.00 - $35.00
- Rest of World: $20.00 - $35.00
(All estimations in USD.)
-- Estimates for the art book are separate, and coming soon. --
Value Added Tax (VAT) Outside Canada & the EU
Due to the limitations of the US postal service, there is no easy way for us to collect or pay VAT for pledges made outside of Canada & Europe.
Since there is no economical way for us to know when and how VAT will be charged in every case, let alone fairly charge you to cover any VAT fees the album may or may not incur, you will be responsible for those fees when the product arrives. Most likely, you will have to pay it at the post office, if at all.
We will continue to look for fulfillment outside the US, Canada and Europe, which will determine whether we can collect VAT as part of your pledge. We will keep you apprised of any changes throughout and after the campaign.
Planning to Move between now and September?
No problem. BackerKit also lets you update your shipping address all the way up to just before we ship your album.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our best to get you a prompt response.
Grant M. Hansen: Kaladin Album Cover Art
Kelley R. Hart: "The Way of Kings - Gemheart", "The Way of Kings - Navani", "The Way of Kings - Stormbless"
Ryland Malcolm: "Wonder Sail"
Rachel J Corey: "Bridge Four"
Botanica Xu: Bookmarks, "The King's Wit", "WOR - Jasnah in Prologue", "Lighteyed Kaladin"
Rich Clark: "The Blackthorn"
Seth Keller: Art Cards
Michael Axt: "Kaladin Stormblessed"
Dallin Bifano: "Shard Bearer"
The Black Piper would like to thank DMG Entertainment for graciously allowing us to present this album.
Risks and challenges
Collectively, the founders and composers of The Black Piper have been working in the film and music industries for decades. We have had experience delivering and overcoming the challenges of both indie projects and big budget film scores under the tightest of deadlines. Even so, there are a number of risks with any project of this type and scope.
Financial: We have firm quotes from our manufacturing partners, but quotes can change over the length of time it takes to run a Kickstarter campaign, write and record an album, and send it to press. We've been very careful to compensate for this, but should we be taken by surprise we're prepared to cover any additional costs required to bring the album and all other rewards to market as detailed and as promised.
Delivery: Packages can get lost or damaged in the mail. We pledge to replace any rewards that don't make it to you or that arrive in less than excellent shape.
Schedule: The biggest unknown in most published projects is the chance one or more manufacturers can't deliver on time. We've built extra time into our schedule just in case. Additionally, we pledge to keep you up-to-date with our development and production of the album, from the moment you back to the moment it arrives at your doorstep.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- All gone!