About this project
The Sun Juicer is a parabolic solar cooker assembly kit.
- It's extremely compact when not assembled, making it very convenient for storing in small spaces compared to other bulky parabolic solar cookers.
- It's light weight and volume make it particularly exceptional for transporting and shipping (individually or in bulk).
- Not only It is easy to assembly but it is completely manual, no tools are required.
- It's able to accomplish basic cooking needs, for one to two people at a time, fueled only by the energy of the sun.
- It can use a variety of pot and pans without the need of special heat resistant plastic bags to contain them.
- All of this that make it ideal for using in your backyard, camping, education, and to have stored away together with your emergency kit.
I've always been fascinated with the many ways we can harness and take advantage of the sun's energy. The benefits of using solar cookers are being adopted throughout the world. The box or panel type are widely used due to their practicality and low cost. The parabolic styles are known to be more efficient, but in many cases bulky and expensive. I have tried to gather the advantages they all have to offer combined into one which is highly efficient, inexpensive, very compact and light weight. My experiences with a variety of computer design software allowed me to draft and model the initial designs. My skills in model making and fabrication gave me the ability to build a prototype and experiment with many materials. I diligently test and retested looking for design flaws that I was able to correct. After many designs and prototypes I finally came up with this patent pending design, that I proudly named The Sun Juice, since we'll all be juicing is the sun! Preliminary designs and prototypes.
Preliminary designs and concepts.
Size : The Sun Juicer: 39” wide, 29 high, 16” depth
Approximate gross weight : 635 gr = 1.4 lb
Dish: 26” diameter , 7" depth
Kit size in bag: Approx. 19” x 8” x 1”
The Sun Juicer is an extremely lightweight and compact solar cooker.
The parabolic dish is made out of a highly reflective heat resistant Mylar coated with aluminum oxide.
It has a simple to assemble structure that supports the dish, and stove top, it will allow you to easily position align and adjust your solar cooker to the particular position of the sun through most of the day. Tips and guidelines will be provided in the manual.
The stove top allows you to use small and medium household lidded pots and pans (preferably black in color or as dark as possible).
It fries 3 eggs in about 8 minutes.
One chicken breast in 12-15 minutes.
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge I face in bringing this project to fulfillment would be delays in the shipment of the materials or machines needed.
The Sun Juicer has few components so it is not necessary to deal with many distributors. In any case we have lined up various suppliers.
I see no mayor problems in production and deadlines, but to be on the safe side, I am allowing enough time to complete the initial production run.
I have contemplated different technical and manufacturing approaches to tackle issues that we might come across as well as changes that might improve the final product. These different approaches will be decided depending on the quantity to be produced.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)