***STRETCH GOAL $10,000 FINAL HOURS!!!****
Stretch GOAL is QUEERS DESTROY FANTASY!!!!
WE ARE FUNDED FOR QUEERS!!!
Check out the new rewards that include the QUEERS e-book and an audiobook by Robert Silverberg. Or name a digital studio after yourself ...
We want to create an 11-hour audiobook with stunning science fiction short stories written and edited by queer creators.
Science Fiction is inclusive.
It is about people.
As Lightspeed Magazine's Kickstarter explained it best, "Queer people (no matter how they identify: Gay, lesbian, bisexual, demisexual, asexual, pansexual, intersex, transgender, genderfluid or genderqueer--anyone who fits within the QUILTBAG) are a big part of that."
We at Skyboat Media Audiobooks hear and see everything in terms of sounds and voices and story-telling. This queer created, and edited, anthology of magnificent short stories and flash fiction screams to be voiced. (Well, we won't actually scream it, unless it reflects author intent.) We'd like to "destroy" the audiobook for you; in the sense that we want to help destroy all preconceived notions of who can or can't create science fiction magic.
These are politically challenging times, and giving voice to these stories is the best way we know to let the Universe know where all of us stand on issues of diversity and inclusivity. This book was made possible by a supportive community of creators who joined to "destroy" the preconceived notions of who can author spectacular science fiction.
We want to create the 11 hour audiobook of QUEERS DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION.
With your help, if we can fund in 7 days, Skyboat will be able to produce an 11 hour digital audiobook for you of the short story and flash fiction portions of Lightspeed Magazine's QUEERS DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION! It will be a glorious vocal celebration of inclusivity, diversity and all things science fiction-y!
KICKSTARTER'S ALL in 1: We are doing this for only one week. Our project is aligned with Kickstarter's theme of 1s and 0s; this means we are offering only digital rewards.
THE QUEERS AUDIOBOOK CONTENT:
ORIGINAL SHORT STORIES (Edited by Seanan McGuire)
- 勢孤取和 (Influence Isolated, Make Peace) by John Chu
- Emergency Repair by Kate M. Galey
- Trickier With Each Translation by Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam
- The Astrakhan, the Homburg and the Red Red Coal by Chaz Brenchley
- The Tip of the Tongue by Felicia Davin
- How to Remember to Forget to Remember the Old War by Rose Lemberg
- Plant Children by Jessica Yang
- Nothing is Pixels Here by K.M. Szpara
- Madeleine by Amal El-Mohtar
- Two by Two by Tim Susman
- Die, Sophie, Die by Susan Jane Bigelow
FLASH FICTION (Edited by Sigrid Ellis)
- Melioration by E. Saxey
- Rubbing is Racing by Charles Payseur
- Helping Hand by Claudine Griggs
- The Lamb Chops by Stephen Cox
- Letter From An Artist To a Thousand Future Versions of Her Wife by J.Y. Yang
- Deep/Dark Space by Gabrielle Friesen
- In the Dawns Between Hours by Sarah Pinsker
- Increasing Police Visibility by Bogi Takács
- Bucket List Found in the Locker of Maddie Price, Age 14, Written Two Weeks Before the Great Uplifting of All Mankind by Erica L. Satifka
- Nothing Goes to Waste by Shannon Peavey
- Mama by Eliza Gauger
- Introductory Materials Part 2: A Brief History of Whaling with Remarks Upon Ancient Practices by Nicasio Andres Reed
REPRINT FICTION (Selected by Steve Berman)
- Black Holes by RJ Edwards
- Red Run by AMJ Hudson
- CyberFruit Swamp - Raven Kaldera
- The Sound of His Wings by Rand B. Lee
We have a handful of the stories already recorded (from being the podcast producers at Lightspeed for the past 6 years) but we want to do the entire book. We will cast the stories from among our amazing group of Award winning narrators, and the audio will be professionally proofed and edited by our super-star Lightspeed partner, Jim Freund of Hour of The Wolf.
WHO ARE WE?
We are Skyboat Media, a Hugo and Grammy Award winning Audiobook Publisher and Production Company located in Los Angeles. Skyboat Media is headed up by Stefan Rudnicki and Gabrielle de Cuir.
Stefan Rudnicki has been named the Golden Voice of Science Fiction by Audiofile Magazine. He has produced over 3000 audiobooks and voiced over 500. On audio, he is the voice of Ender Wiggin, Matt Helm® and Quarry. Stefan has won Audie® Awards for his solo narrations of Wisp of a Thing by Alex Bledsoe and Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card. He is also a winner of a Bram Stoker Award and Ray Bradbury Award.
Gabrielle de Cuir (note: pronounced correctly in French "deh QUEER) is a passionate science fiction and fantasy audiobook narrator and a velvet-glove directress in all genres. She was the directorial mastermind behind such massive projects as Ender's Game Alive, The Help, the King James Version of The Bible, Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever (named among the Best Audiobooks of 2016 by Audiofile Magazine) and Thirty Years of Treason (The HUAC Trials.) She is a recent winner of an Earphones Award for her narration of William Campbell Powell's Expiration Day. She has just completed directing and co-narrating Cory Doctorow's new novel WALKAWAY with Wil Wheaton, Amber Benson and Amanda Palmer.
WE'VE DESTROYED OTHER AUDIOBOOKS BEFORE:
With your generous help, we successfully funded and delivered our Harlan Ellison's THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER Star Trek project last year. We also have produced WOMEN DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION on audio which is over 15 hours of audio (which is available to you at the $15 reward level.) Please click on the FAQ tab at the top of this page to see the monumental amount of writing and narration talent on the WOMEN audiobook.
For $7.00, you will receive a DRM free digital copy of the QUEERS DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION Audiobook.
For $15, you will receive a DRM free digital copy of the QUEERS DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION Audiobook, PLUS a DRM-free digital copy of the already produced 15-hour WOMEN DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION Audiobook. So that's over 26 hours of science fiction Grammy quality produced audiobook heaven. For $15.
For $125, you will receive both the above, and audio credit on the QUEERS SCIENCE FICTION audiobook. (Limited quantity)
STRETCH GOAL $10,000 :
QUEERS DESTROY FANTASY
Fingers crossed for a STRETCH GOAL which would include an additional 4 hours of audio and the following FANTASY stories:
ORIGINAL FICTION: (Edited by Christopher Barzak)
- The Lady's Maid by Carlea Holl-Jensen
- The Duchess & the Ghost by Richard Bowes
- Kaiju maximus®: "So various, So Beautiful, So New" by Kai Ashante Wilson
- The Lily and the Horn by Catherynne M. Valente
REPRINT FICTION (selected by Liz Gorinsky)
- The Ledge by Austin Bunn
- The Padishah Begum's Reflections by Shweta Narayan
- Down the Path of the Sun by Nicola Griffith
- The Sea Troll's Daughter by Caitlin R. Kiernan
In conclusion, we thank you for helping us last year with THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER. We hope you'll consider supporting this work with us, either as a first time backer, or an appreciated veteran!
Risks and challenges
We have secured the audio rights to all the stories we will record, we have the studios warmed up and ready to roll, and our editing team standing by. We have produced over 1000 audiobooks in our combined careers, and barring that California falls into the ocean, we should be all good. If that should occur, we will change our name to Atoll Audio. And keep recording.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (7 days)