Do you like to cook but don't know how to jazz-up your meals? Do you like herbs and spices but don't know which to use or when? Read more
This project's funding goal was
About this project
Starting Tomorrow (Monday, April 1st) Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel will be available on www.10CoolProducts.com.
Thank YOU to all our Backers past and present. We will be back and we will be bringing v2.0 and Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel App(s)!!! You're the Best!!!
Welcome to Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel v2.0 Project
- Be sure to view our Rewards BELOW first as they are best described here than over there.
- Also be sure to also read the article (link below) on Mashable.com about our projects, Backers, and Apple vs. Android competition.
Who is Grandma Storn? And what is Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel?
Grandma Storn was simply a wonderful woman that blazed her own path in life in more than one way. As an educated pharmacist and scientist (UCincy hired her to do studies on the effects of marijuana in the 60's), Grandma Storn was a pioneer. To those who crossed her, she was a powerhouse and force to be reckoned with, but as a wife, mother, and grandmother she was marvelous. (More on Grandma Storn below.)
Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel is a very useful kitchen-cooking aide-tool for chefs of all kinds that simply makes your meals better. By showing you the best herbs for whatever you are making, your meals will immediately be more tasty and enjoyable; and might even help your kids like vegetables. That's right. I said your kids might even LIKE their vegetables...with the right herbs on them.
Grandma Storn's Herb Wheels are perfect as graduation gifts for young graduates embarking on their own (HS & college alike). Great for newlyweds or new home owners as a house-warming gift. And, of course, The Wheel is excellent for anyone of any age that simply enjoys cooking. In fact, a professor-chef contacted us about getting them to use as a teaching-aide for his students.
But don't take my word for it. Read our 1st project Backers' comments:
...on The Wheel (or General):
- Michael D. --- “...they are fantastic to use. I can't wait to hand these out as gifts. Thank you!”
- Lisa H. --- “I was going to purchase 2... and then I started thinking about the kids in the youth group I work with, and the several weddings I've been invited to in the next few months, and ... and...and... So I ordered 10 wheels. I figure that way, my wheel is safe for a while. :D Thanks so much for making this. I've been looking everywhere for *something* that would work like this!”
- Jacobus --- “This is a brilliant idea. I can not think of the times I have cooked and had no clue what I should add to my cooking to add a little flavor. This is perfect! I'll take 10! :P”
- James G. --- “...I gave my girlfriend one of The Wheels, and she used it when she cooked dinner for us on Valentines Day! (For the Cheese Sauce and the mince of the lasagna) It was fantastic by the way! Thanks for the help!”
- Stockton K. --- “Thanks so much for getting these out before Christmas. My wife really loved it and I am sure my mom will love it too. Thanks again...and great project!!”
- Chris H. --- “Love my wheel!”
- Tessa J C W. --- “Really good idea. I always struggle with herbs."
- Shadow Stalker --- “Hi Guys/Girls, received mine today in Australia, One went as a early gift straight away, as my mum was curious about what was in the large package (LOL). Great job guys,...like others I would also back the app (Android) in a heartbeat if another KS campaign is launched. : )”
- Anne P. --- “Got mine yesterday. Very happy with them, will be giving away as b-day gifts during the year!”
- Lance B. --- “Good job!”
- Kimberly L. --- “B.P. - Just wanted to let you know that I received my wheels today. Awesome! Thanks again for getting them out in time for Christmas.”
...on The Project/Manager:
- Michael D. --- “I have to mirror what Corpselocker said. This has been an amazingly run KS campaign. The creator has been very communicative, posts fun pictures with the products, and is able to be reached by private contact.”
- Carleton T. --- “I'm sure I'm not alone in this request but, please make an iPhone app! Failing that, a fridge magnet version. Or an Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring version!”
- Sheryl G. --- “I like your project and am happy to back. Would love to see an app in the future!”
- Amy H. --- “You should partner with someone that creates smartphone apps & turn this into an iPhone, iPad, etc app. Personally, I would use an app more than the physical wheel - especially if I'm cooking somewhere other than my house. Good luck!”
- Jacobus --- “So an idea I just had for your app. Would it be possible to work it so that people can edit the wheel? Make new food entries, suggest other spices etc. And have it so that their 'suggestions' are then uploaded and downloaded to other uses as an update? That way it would be an ever evolving wheel of suggestions and inspiration.”
...And a few links for you to peruse:
- Particularly for our techie Backers, Mashable.com has this story and video report on you, our Kickstarter Backers, and this project: http://mashable.com/2013/03/04/cooking-app-spices-meal/ . They really should put Lauren (the video reporter)'s snap-shot-pic on their video report, though. I would not be offended at all.
- Here's a fifteen second video that will explain The Wheel very simply and succinctly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgUKYjpYu4
- And here's an independently reviewed video by FitKim from Texas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCGADkskVKE
If you have any additional questions about Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel just ask it in the Comments or Contact Me directly.
Let's jump right in to what matters most to you! The Rewards here correspond precisely to the Rewards on the right; although they are better described here than...over there --->
We have simple separate Vote & Wheel Rewards...
- $3/$3 = Vote for Apple/Android (Vote Only)*
- $9 = 1 New v2.0 Plastic Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel (Wheel Only)
(*AvA Votes = Apple vs. Android App. Whichever platform wins will be the FIRST app we develop. But we will develop both. These votes will be gathered after the project is funded via survey.)
- $11 = 1 Wheel + 1 AvA Vote + Grandma Storn's Kickstarter Family Fans Recognition*
- $29 = 3 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Allies
- $47 = 5 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Advocates**
- $85 = 10 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Enthusiasts
(*Kickstarter Family Recognition and Monikers means you will be listed on the app of your choice as a Kickstarter Family Backer and with the Moniker listed. **ALSO gets one BONUS No-Ad App.)
And we have Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel APP REWARDS:
- $12 = 1 No-Ad App + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Fans
- $20 = 1 No-Ad App + 1 Wheel + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Allies
- $35 = 1 No-Ad App + 3 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Patrons
- $47 = 1 No-Ad App + 5 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Advocates
- $92 = 2 No-Ad Apps + 10 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Enthusiasts
NOTE: All APP Backers (directly above) will be invited to take part in the process to determine what herbs go best with all the new food-items being added to Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel App(s)!!!
The Best INTERNATIONAL Backers' Rewards:
- $12 = 1 No Ad App + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Fans Recognition
- $53 = 5 Wheels + GS-Ks Advocates Recognition (No add'l shipping fees!)
- $59 = 1 No-Ad App + 5 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Advocates Recognition (NO extra shipping charge!)
And we have Big Backers Rewards, too, for those with the means and desire to support our entrepreneurial spirit and drive:
- $10k = All Tours* + Launch Party + Dinners & Tastings including Live New Item Voting** + 10 Signed v2.0 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam ANGELS Recognition on BOTH Apps + TRAVEL to Cincinnati-NKY
- $7.5k = See $10k minus Travel
- $5k = We will design a Reward for you that combines the $2.5k & $10k Rewards
- $2.5k = Live Phone Conversation and Voting w/ BP including exclusive Video of Tours* + 10 Signed v2.0 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam COMMODORES Recognition on BOTH APPS.
*TOURS are based on Grandma Storn's remarkable life and include Architectural, Historical, Civil War, & The Syndicate-Mob histories in Cincinnati, Newport, & Northern Kentucky. Live tours will be colorful, insightful, entertaining, and designed to your interests and may include gangster and haunted tours, if you wish...rather, if you dare. Google "Newport History" , "George Remus", and/or "The Syndicate Wife" for a taste of what your tours will cover.
**Dinners & Tastings include TWO private dinners which will include tastings of special herb and spice food combinations on which you will vote for your favorites. Your votes will impact what items are included in the apps/app-upgrades. (More info and details provided upon request.) Exact itinerary to be determined when we connect with you.
Let us know if you have an additional ideas for compelling rewards or if you have any questions. We love to hear from you and WELCOME your input! And by all means, Big Backers: If you have the means and inclination to fund at the $1k to $10k Levels, let us know, we will design or alter an existing Reward just for you.
Our AvA Competition:
Check out our Apple vs. Android Backer Competition in the REWARDS section (on the right for Kickstarter newbies.) Whichever platform wins will be the one we develop FIRST! (If we reach the $15k funding level, we WILL develop BOTH apps! But the winner of the AvA competition will be first.)
This concept came to me while having lunch and discussing this project with a friend (Dusty Doris) who was very instrumental in helping me with the whole App-development discussion. Thank You, Dusty!
What is this particular project all about?
The purpose of this project is to raise the funds for a first run production of plastic (v2.0) Grandma Storn's Herb Wheels and to develop Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel Apps (Apple AND Android).
We also will add more food-items while we develop the apps. Foods like prosciutto and bacon and more vegetables like avocado. Our first Ks project was successful in raising funds to produce paper Wheels but we made the decision to transition to plastic. We simply lost too many of them in transportation and storage. So we are transitioning to plastic v2.0 Grandma Storn's Herb Wheels!
More about Grandma Storn and Why honored her in this way!
Grandma Storn was an amazing pioneer. Born in 1917, Grandma (Betty) learned how to count while watching the til at her father's gas station on the West-side of Cincinnati...as a grade-schooler! In fact, she was so good with math that her school asked her to take the money when her classmates when through the lunch line. Yeah. She was that kind of amazing.
Grandma went on to graduate from Cincinnati's School of Pharmacology in 1936 (later associated with UC), where she met my grandfather, Ron who grew up in Newport, Kentucky. They met because my grandpa needed tutoring in Chemistry, I think, and Grandma was his tutor. She also tutored him in other subjects..no, not like that they were classy, respectable young adults. (That comes later. As my dad said, and I quote, "We knew something was going. Afterall they had six kids!")
We still do not, nor I suppose will we ever, know whether Grandpa really needed those tutoring sessions or if he was just using them as an excuse to get to know and get closer to Grandma. My suspicion is that it was both. He started needing some tutoring in one subject and then realized how smart grandma was and why not 'expand the tutoring.' More on these two and their remarkble relationship later; possibly a Kickstarter project itself for the book I am writing about their lives as Pharmacists back when their profession also required a full set of business acumen and interpersonal skills. Not to mention that Newport, Kentucky, was the Original Sin City run by The Syndicate from the 40's to 60's when they operated Storn's Pharmacy on the corner of 6th & Washington in the heart of Newport (across from Cincinnati).
So along with the strong correlation between cooking and chemistry - being a pharmacist, Grandma Storn always...always asked us, "What can I get you to eat?" within minutes of entering their ranch on The Pharm in southern-Northern Kentucky. Unfortunately it was not until after she passed that I realized this was her way of showing us and telling us she loved us. As with many people, we show and express our feelings and love through seemingly unconnected actions.
And, I almost forgot, Grandma Storn also maintained a large garden where she grew numerous vegetables and herbs. She also had many flowers including poppies; though, not for the nefarious purpose. The cops did come calling one day about that, not even realizing they walked right past them to get to the front door.
Please join us in honoring a wonderful woman and pioneer and fund a great project. Be a Grandma Storn's Herb v2.0 Wheel/App Backer!
How does the wheel work?
It's quite simple. Check out the video below for a quick tour of the wheel!
Risks and challenges
BACKER's RISK is extremely minimal. The only risk we see is having to push back the time on the design of the Apps but we have also built in what should be plenty of time.
Since we have been through the production of these Wheels previously and managed, by any measure with the possible exception of the Paper-Wheel decision, a very successful Kickstarter project, we know what we are getting into with the transition from PAPER to PLASTIC. We may choose to use a new vendor which adds some uncertainty but could also be a blessing in disguise. And we are aware of the very recent USPS increases in shipping costs; hence our increases in prices, particularly international shipping.
And, btw, Ks actually contacted me because of all of you Backers from our first project to see what went well and how they can improve the experience and process from a project manager's perspective. An amazing experience for me, being contacted and asked by Kickstarter to give feedback. And an amazingly proative thing for them to do! YAY KickStarter!!
So our BACKER's will lose nothing. Once we reach the funded level, we will have everything we need to fulfill your Pledges & Rewards.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
What if, say, Apple wins the AvA competition and we make the $15k level but not the $25k, will the 2nd place platform (Android in this scenario) still be developed?
YES. When we reach the $15k mark that will solidify both Apps being developed. It will just be a matter of time to determine when the 2nd is launched. When we reach the $25k level that will allow us to develop the 2nd platform faster and, God willing, also launch it in October with the 1st place platform.
VOTE for Apple (iOS) APP BACKER in our APPLE vs. ANDROID BACKER COMPETITION: Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel Apple (iOS) App: For those that already have a Wheel and/or want to be a part of this project - converting to an App for ALL to use. Whichever platform wins this competition will be the first platform we develop.Estimated delivery:
Android (java) APP BACKER in our ANDROID vs. APPLE BACKER COMPETITION: Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel Android (java) APP: For those that already have The Wheel but want to play a part in funding the app for all to use.Estimated delivery:
Your Name listed in the Production Page (Credits) of the app (your choice Apple or Android) as a Kickstarter Backer + an AvA vote via survey (which comes to you after this project is successfully funded.)Estimated delivery:
29 backers Limited (221 left of 250)
Early Bird Backers: One Brand NEW v2.0 (plastic) Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel for you OR a friend. Value = $15 Retail Price! (ADD $8 for Canadian shipping.) (No AvA Vote, tho.(Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
17 backers Limited (233 left of 250)
Early Bird Backer v2.0: One Brand NEW v2.0 Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel + an AvA vote via survey. (Add $8 for Canadian shipping.)Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Grandma Storn's No-Ad Herb Wheel App + Your Name as a Kickstarter Backer in the Credits + an AvA Vote via survey.Estimated delivery:
UNI-WHEEL BACKERS: One brand new Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel v2.0 (plastic) + Apple vs. Android VOTE via survey at the end of the project (April).Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
28 backers Limited (172 left of 200)
WHEEL-APP BACKERS: A v2.0 (plastic) Wheel for you OR a friend and a FREE No-Ad App (Total Value = $25) + a VOTE in Apple vs. Android (AvA) platform competition (via survey.)
NOTE: ALL Estimated Deliveries are for The (actual) Wheel(s). The Wheel App's estimated launch is around October, 2013.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
BI-WHEEL BACKERS: TWO v2.0 (plastic) Grandma Storn's Herb Wheels for you AND a friend! ($30 Value) + a VOTE in the AvA competition.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
2 backers Limited (248 left of 250)
THREE v2.0 Grandma Storn's Herb Wheels + an AvA Vote + Your Name on the App of your choice as a Kickstarter Contributor! Value = $45+. (Add $9 for Canadian Shipping)Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
TWO v2.0 Wheels and ONE FREE No-Ad Wheel App download (Total Value = $40+) + a VOTE in the AvA via survey.
NOTE: Launch is estimated to be October, 2013.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
10 backers Limited (90 left of 100)
THREE v2.0 Grandma Storn's Herb Wheels for you and four friends + One No-Ad App + One AvA Vote. Value = $55+. (Add $11 for Canadian shipping.)Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
4 backers Limited (46 left of 50)
FIVE v2.0 Wheels for you and to give out as gifts + a No-Ad App download + an AvA Vote.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (100 left of 100)
International Backer's v2.0 Wheel Special:
5 Wheels + GS-Ks Family Advocates RecognitionEstimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (100 left of 100)
INTERNATIONAL BACKERS REWARD = 5 v2.0 Wheels + 1 No-Ad App + 1 AvA Vote + Grandma Storn's International Ks Family Advocates RecognitionEstimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (85 left of 85)
ENTHUSIASTS' REWARD = TEN v2.0 Grandma Storn's Herb Wheels for you and to give as gifts + AvA Vote + GS-Ks Fam Enthusiast Recognition. (Value = $150+)Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (92 left of 92)
ENTHUSIASTS' APP REWARD = 3 No-Ad Apps + 10 Wheels + 1 AvA Vote + Kickstarter Family Enthusiast Recognition. (Value = $175)Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (15 left of 15)
COOKS' REWARD = One Food Item Named after You (or whomever you designate) + FIVE No-Ad Apps + TEN Signed v2.0 Wheels + a VOTE in the AvA + Ks Fam Cook Recognition. (A Fun Food Item is an item on both apps. For example, you can immortalize a loved one: "Grandpa Storn" could be the 'food item' just like 'steak' then instead of herbs would be "greatest grandpa ever". Or you can use it to make fun of a friend. Keep it clean, though.)Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
CHEFS' REWARD = One-hour phone conversation w/ BP on whatever topic you choose (Grandma Storn, The Syndicate, Civil War, and/or Entrepreneur) + TWO Fun 'Foods' + 10 No-Ad Aps + 10 Signed v2.0 Wheels + 1 AvA Votes + Ks Fam Chefs RecognitionEstimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
COMMODORES' REWARD = Phone conversation w/ BP to talk about food, cooking, my Grandma (& Grandpa, can't talk about one w/o the other), their histories, the history of The Syndicate-Mob in Cincinnati & Newport + Video of Tours (see Story *Tours) + Everything in the $1K Reward.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (2 left of 2)
Grandma Storn's Kickstarter Family ANGELS REWARD: See 10k Reward minus Travel.Estimated delivery:
0 backers Limited (2 left of 2)
ANGELS' REWARD = ALL Tours* + Launch Party + TWO Private Angels' Dinner & Tastings including New Item Voting + 10 Signed v2.0 Wheels + 10 No-Ad Apps + AvA Vote + Ks Fam Angels Recognition + TRAVEL to & LODGING in Cincinnati for four days & three nights (continental US only). (*Tours = See Story for descriptions.)Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)