About this project
I am a Mexican programmer who came to Germany 7 years ago. While learning German, I used to read texts and listen to audiobooks in German, and it was great when I understood, but sometimes, there were those 1 or 2 words that I didn't know and would ruin my experience. To solve this problem, one year ago I had the idea to create Beelinguapp, an app that would enable people to read in a second language.
- Show the exact same text in two languages (your native and the one you are learning) side by side, highlighting the sentence you are reading in both sides.
- Function as an audiobook, with recordings of native speakers reading the texts out loud.
- Let you follow the audio in the text with its karaoke reading animation.
After 10 months of hard after-work and weekend coding, I was able to release the Android version of Beelinguapp, using only my time and my money I hired 15 translators from around the world and I built a system where they could write the translations and record their voices.
Beelinguapp for Android currently supports: English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi, Russian, Chinese, Turkish and Arabic.
Beelinguapp shows some ads to the users and has around 30-40% of the texts at a cost (the lowest price the play store allows me to).
Android users are already using and loving Beelinguapp; but unfortunately their choices of texts and languages are very limited, so my vision is not yet complete, I seek to reach and satisfy more learners through:
- Many more stories and texts (currently I only have 31)
- Support for more languages, such as Italian, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Polish, etc...
- A well-built and polished iPhone app.
- Some support managing the logistics, unfortunately I cannot both program and design the app and handle the logistics of dealing with the translators, social media, searching for new texts, etc...
Some websites with content I would love to use such as sciencenews.org require payment for permission to use their texts and I need some of those because I would love to use as many interesting sources as possible.
I realized I need someone to help me with the development of a high quality iOS version of Beelinguapp, I've reached the limit of the amount of work I can do on my own with my iOS developing knowledge.
My commitment to you if the money is raised is to have available in Beelinguapp at least:
- 70 texts
- 13 languages
- A working iOS version
By June 2017 at the most.
Here are some screenshots of what the Android app looks like and how the iOS app will look as well:
Risks and challenges
The risks of developing the iOS app are the same risks as with any software. Software development is sometimes a tricky thing, but the worst thing that can happen is having minor delays.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes, this is definitely in our roadmap.
I have to also say, though, that the quality of automated translations will not be the same as the one for the texts you find in the app right now.
The reason for this is simple: at this moment in time, real translators do a better job than computers, and when recording the audio they use the correct intonation depending on the situation.
A really important part of Beelinguapp is that the translations are all very high quality, made by real translators; and the audio is the recorded voice of real native speakers
Support this project
- (41 days)