About this project
DAN Cases is back on Kickstarter! This time with an optimized version 2 of the A4-SFX and an optional Window Kit.
The A4-SFX is a project with the goal of creating the smallest PC case possible while still using high-end standardized components, such as Core i7 or Ryzen processors, and powerful full-length GPUs, such as the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.
The result is a unique product that is much smaller than all other competing cases. This case is perfect for SFF (Small Form Factor) enthusiasts, those who need a highly portable system, developers who require a case with a smaller footprint due to limited desk space, and gamers who want a high-end PC experience in their living room.
With the ambition to make our products as perfect as possible, we analyzed every review that was made with the A4-SFX and all feedback received from the first campaign. We improved six features for the next A4-SFX evolution:
How It Works
This case uses what we refer to as a sandwich hardware layout. Using a PCIe extender allows for the most prominent design feature of this case, which is the location of the GPU behind the motherboard. The A4-SFX comes with the highest quality PCIe extender on the market, made by 3M, which allows for PCIe Gen3 and Gen4 support.
The case allows for easy mounting of either SFX or SFX-L power supplies. The PSU is located in the front of the chassis.
Depending on the size of the PSU, up to two 2.5” HDDs or SSDs can be mounted in the drive bay. The drive bay is mounted with rubber spacers to reduce vibration and noise. A third 2.5" drive can be mounted behind the front cover.
Every component cools itself by getting fresh air directly from the outside. Hot air in the case will move to the top and then outside without the need of an extra fan. This principle works perfectly and results in amazing cooling efficiency compared to other cases.
GPUs without a protective backplate can safely be used in the case. A thin plastic film is installed to prevent electrical short with the aluminum chassis or the PSU.
With the new version of the A4-SFX you will be able to mount a 92mm fan or a 92mm All-In-One water cooling solution in place of the drive bay.
- Case Dimensions: 200 x 112 x 317mm (H x W x D), 7.25L
- Overall Dimensions: 205 x 112 x 327mm (including feet and rear protrusions)
- Weight: 1.25 Kg
- Graphics Card: Dual-Slot up to 295mm length
- Motherboard: Mini-ITX
- Power Supply: SFX, SFX-L
- Drives: Up to 3 x 2.5" HDD/SSD
- Fan: 1 x 92mm fan in place of drive bay
- Front ports: 1 x USB 3.0 (internal 20-pin plug)
- Power button: Premium-grade button
- Material: 1.5mm aluminum brushed exterior
- Side Panels: Easily clippable with sturdy Lian Li Push Pin technology
- Colors: Anodized black or silver exterior, matte black painted interior
- PCIe Extender: Includes the 3M Twin Axial 300mm PCIe Gen3+ extender, Link: 3M product page
The A4-SFX is fully CE certified. It was tested by a certified CE Laboratory against all European standards.
With the RoHS logo, DAN Cases UG (haftungsbeschränkt) guarantees that no materials that are harmful to human health or the environment were used in the making of this product.
The crossed-out waste bin signifies that DAN Cases UG (haftungsbeschränkt) complies with all European WEEE laws. Please only dispose of this product at designated electronic waste collection points, or return it to DAN Cases UG (haftungsbeschränkt).
Window Kit Specifications
The new A4-SFX Window Kit will give you the best view inside the A4-SFX. The design is a compromise between effective cooling and aesthetics. The cutout and the opening between the side panel and acrylic glass let the hardware breathe. The Window Kit includes a panel for both sides. It is fully-compatible with the old and new version of the A4-SFX.
- Parts: Includes left and right window panel
- Dimensions: 200 x 9.5 x 317mm (H x W x D)
- Weight: 0.5 Kg
- Ventilation: 5mm opening between frame and acrylic glass + DAN logo cutout
- Mounting: Easily clippable with Lian Li Push Pin technology
- Material: 1.5mm brushed aluminum frame and 3mm acrylic glass
- Colors: Anodized black or silver frame and gray glass
- Compatibility: A4-SFX v1 & v2
- Note: Temperatures on CPU and GPU will be higher
- Max. height 48mm
- Max. height with Window Kit 54.5mm
- Note: Some heatsinks will also fit if used with a thinner fan
- 92mm Water Cooling support - Asetek 545LC
- Note: You have to remove the front USB port
Hard Disk Drives
- 2 x 2.5" HDD/SSD in drive bay: max. height 15mm
- 1 x 2.5" HDD/SSD in front-area: max. height 9mm
- Note: With SFX-L you are limited to one drive in the drive bay
- Max. height from bottom of PCIe slot to top: 144mm
- Max. width without backplate: 40mm; including backplate: 45mm
- Max. length without bracket: 295mm; including bracket: 306mm
Power Supply SFX and SFX-L
- Max. height: 52mm
- Max. height with Window Kit 58.5mm
Note: For more details visit the compatibility page!
Please refer to the A4-SFX User Manual for step-by-step assembly instructions. Each case comes with a paper manual in English and German. Click on the below link for a PDF version.
Note: We will update the Manual to v2.0 in the next weeks.
The A4-SFX was reviewed by the following tech sites. If you would like to take a deeper look into the tests, please visit DAN Cases for the links.
DAN Cases UG (haftungsbeschränkt) has partnered with the best in the industry for the A4-SFX. The all-aluminum body and the Window Kit will be manufactured by Lian Li in Taiwan per their highest quality standards. The PCIe extender will be supplied by 3M. The extender uses 3M's patented Twin Axial technology, and is widely recognized as the most reliable PCIe extender on the market. A commitment to quality lies at the core of our business philosophy.
Cost Breakdown and Volume
In the name of transparency, we offer a cost breakdown graphic.
The Kickstarter campaign for the second version of the A4-SFX will have no quantity limits, but we don't have unlimited storage space so every charge will have a maximum quantity of 2000 cases. If the first 2000 rewards are sold we will add more rewards.
Every A4-SFX v2 will feature a sticker with a production number. It will not be possible to reserve a number.
Shipment, Warranty & VAT
DAN Cases UG (haftungsbeschränkt) will ship to the countries highlighted below. If your country is not on the map, please contact us trough the Kickstarter message system.
As a special thank you to all Kickstarter backers, the A4-SFX v2 will come with a 2-year warranty! We will ship through DHL from Germany. Third-party country orders will be shipped with DHL Premium this time (60% faster). Shipments will be insured and feature live tracking.
EU-based customers are required to pay the German 19% VAT tax. The tax is included in the overall case price and will not incur an additional increase.
Customers outside of the EU will not pay the 19% German VAT, but may have to cover local taxes. To make reward tiers handling easier, the VAT will be cleared with shipping costs for those customers. Therefore, they have to pay much less in shipping charges in ratio to EU customers.
We've come a long way since the inception of the A4-SFX. See our past milestones below, as well as what the future holds should the project be funded.
Note: Maybe shipment will start erlier but we can't guarantee it.
Rewards & the Campaign Process
Orders will be limited to one reward. Only a second Kickstarter account will give you the option to gain further rewards. We will provide three reward tiers: For 60€ you can order the black or silver version of the Window Kit; For 230€ you can order the black or silver version of the A4-SFX; For 290€ you can order the black or silver version of the A4-SFX bundled with the Window Kit.
- First select a reward.
- If the Kickstarter campaign is successful, Kickstarter will charge the money from you. Please make sure your credit card is valid. German backers can also pay via SEPA direct debit. In some cases, you may need to contact your credit institute to authorize the charge.
- Before we place the order with Lian Li, you will get a special Kickstarter form. With this form, we collect your address data and your choice of color for the product.
- After the production is done, we will start shipping.
If the Kickstarter campaign is successful, the A4-SFX v2 and Window Kit will be available in limited quantities through our resellers, Caseking and OverclockersUK, in Q1 2018. If you are afraid of using Kickstarter, or you don't have the funds during the Kickstarter, you can wait and try your luck to get it there. If you already have an order reserved on Caseking or OverclockersUK, you will get an A4-SFX v2 at the same time we start with the Kickstarter shipping.
A Special Thanks
A project like this couldn’t be done by a single person, so I would like to thank all who have helped make the A4-SFX the great product that it is.
Risks and challenges
As with all products being mass-produced, we know that sometimes unforeseen scenarios can occur. Should this happen, we promise our backers that we will do everything we can and work hard to deliver on-spec and as quickly as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)