This campaign offers a special opportunity to acquire a Kickstarter-exclusive promo pack for Dr. Finn's Games' Foragers, a strategic and fun pick-up-and-deliver game set in prehistoric times. For those who do not own Foragers, this is a final chance to pick up a remaining copy at a heavily reduced price before it goes out of print. For those who do own the game, it's an opportunity to add a whole new way to play it.
The Foragers: Worker-Placement Expansion pack infuses a worker-placement mechanic into the base game; on each turn, players now must choose from a limited number of common actions. In the original game, players chose actions from their own action cards, making the majority of player interaction occur by pawn movement. The use of new common action cards therefore creates more player interaction.
The pack consists of 11 total cards.
- 9 Rotating Action Cards
- 1 Turn Order Card
- 1 Reference Card
For those familiar with the original game, here's how the worker-placement expansion creates a whole new gaming experience.
- The players' individual planning cards are replaced by 9 rotating action cards that provide different options in each round of play. Most importantly, the rotating action cards are common, so players compete for the different actions. For those who wanted more player interaction in the original game, this adds it.
- Players place only 3 action cubes per round (not 4), but many action spaces now include multiple actions. A player may pick up a tool and forage, for example, on the same turn.
- The game lasts only 5 rounds (because players' turns now include more actions), which makes the game a little shorter in time.
- Players have more flexibility with their actions due to the introduction of "energy actions". In the original game, foragers could expend energy to "run." In this version, forgers can use energy to pick up tools, share food, discover new lands, and walk. The economics of energy use is therefore more important in this variant.
- The hunt leader card from the original game is not used. Turn order changes based upon the placement of cubes on the action cards. Players, in other words, choose turn order by selecting particular action spaces.
- Foragers now can freely eat when they wish (to keep up their energy), allowing for more flexibility and choices.
- Food spoils at the start of a player's turn. All food spoils 1 space, so players can plan how to use their food better. There is no spoilage between rounds.
- The reward for winning a brawl has been increased (yet softened too). You now earn prestige from the tribe (in the form of VPs from the supply) when victorious, rather than taking VPs directly from the other forager. It is also strengthened, insofar as the limit is raised to 8 VPs (from 3 VPs) per brawl and the supply will not run out.
- The 2-player variant has been updated to simplify the movement of just 1 "enemy" (not 2) who moves more simply. Strategic decisions are also increased, since one of the players chooses how to move the enemy (based on the placement of an action cube).
There will be no printed rules, but they will be provided in a PDF file.
The rulebook to the original game may be downloaded here.
The promo pack for Foragers is a Kickstarter exclusive that will only be available during this campaign. Dr. Finn will only manufacture enough packs to properly fulfill the rewards for backers of this campaign. There will be no late pledges through a pledge manager, so pledge during the campaign if you'd like to ensure that you get a copy.
ORIGINAL GAME REVIEWS
The shipping costs are automatically added to the level you choose. See the description of the rewards on the right to get detailed information.
- Promo packs are mailed from the U.S. if the reward level includes only promo packs.
- If the reward level includes the base game, the promo packs will usually be shipped with the game for those outside the U.S. For those in the U.S., the game and pack may or may not be mailed together.
- For those in the E.U. and U.K., if you are receiving the game (not just the pack), the games will be shipped from the U.K. and will be E.U.-friendly.
- For those outside the U.S., E.U., and U.K., games are shipped from the U.K. (but from the U.S. if only receiving packs).
- For those in Brazil: I'm very sorry about the high prices, but my UK fulfillment company does not ship to Brazil and the cost of shipping from the U.S. is very expensive. I will be able to show that the game is shipped, but cannot provide tracking.
- For those in Canada: your rewards will ship from the U.K. With some of my campaigns for new games (such as the upcoming Waters of Nereus), I offer Canada-friendly shipping, but for these mini-campaigns, I simply cannot get enough Canadian backers to offer Canadian-friendly shipping.
Dr. Finn's Games is offering only C.O.G. and its promo pack as an add-on during this campaign.
For those outside the U.S., I am offering C.O.G. as an add-on for $30 if you've already pledged at the $30 level. Shipping is included.
The aim is to have a short, quick, and easy campaign that is not complicated by add-ons. If you're interested in picking up other great games, Dr. Finn's Games will launch a Kickstarter campaign (in the fall) for Waters of Nereus, during which there will be multiple add-on options. To stay abreast of Dr. Finn's Games' Kickstarters and news, please join the email list.
Risks and challenges
Please read carefully before backing this project.
Game manufacturing and publishing contains a number of risks. For this project, the greatest risks follow from the fact that the packs will be manufactured in China and shipped to the U.S. The most serious threat in this regard concerns quality control over the manufacturing. A more likely threat, though less serious, is the possible delays involved. Dr. Finn's can mitigate both of these concerns. First, I will be using a manufacturer who has produced good results on card projects in the past. Second, I have successfully completed almost all of my Kickstarter campaigns right on time or even early (only 1 project was a few weeks late). If any delays do unexpectedly occur, backers will be notified promptly.
If you receive any rewards that are missing items, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and replacements will be promptly shipped. If the item arrives damaged, you'll receive replacements for whatever is damaged. Please send along a picture, as I may be able to get reimbursed from the shipper. For the past few projects (after switching manufacturers and shipping companies), we've had a very low defect rate (less than 1%).
Refunds are not usually given, unless there is a failure to deliver the games you've requested. However, if you are completely unsatisfied with any game, please contact me and we can discuss it.
Unlike many Kickstarter campaigns, Dr. Finn's Games has a great track record of being on time. Of course, unexpected things happen and there is chance that the game will not be shipped on time. I will keep you updated if the unexpected happens.
If you provide an incorrect address or fail to update your address and a shipment is returned, it is your responsibility to pay for the re-shipment.
Please read the shipping section above.
After this campaign you may receive updates on Dr. Finn's Games' other projects. However, such updates will be infrequent.
By backing this project, you acknowledge and accept the risks and challenges just stated.
Thanks! Dr. Finn's GamesLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (7 days)