In Cosmic Run: Regeneration, you lead a fleet of ships on a quest for the discovery of new worlds. But watch out! This region of space is populated with dangerous meteors that frequently hit the planets. So you are not only racing your opponents, but also the meteors.
Cosmic Run: Regeneration is a turn based game for 1-4 players. You begin a turn by rolling 6 dice. After the roll, you must assign at least 1 die to planets (to move ships), alien cards (to recruit the aliens), or to your tech card (to gain crystals). After assigning, you may re-roll any unassigned dice. All of the locations have different assignment requirements, so you must choose which kind of strategy to employ: Do you push your luck to try to move up more valuable planet tracks or play conservatively by placing dice on less valuable tracks? Do you recruit aliens who will help you score points and grant special powers? When should you spend your crystals? It is a game that is not only easy to understand, but contains many interesting decisions.
A strong selling point is that the game can be played competitively, cooperatively, or solo. Each of the variants have been fully developed and all offer a compelling gaming experience.
Cosmic Run: Regeneration was co-designed by Steve Finn and his two sons, Seamus and Orion. Seamus contributed greatly to the original version (published a couple years ago) and Orion helped with the development of the newly revised co-op game. Seamus and Orion also play tested and made adjustments based on the play test sessions.
All backers receiving a copy of Cosmic Run: Regeneration through this campaign will receive the Allies Expansion at no additional cost inside their copy of the game. This expansion pack includes 6 ally cards (plus 2 instruction cards) that add an interesting twist by giving players special powers. Each ally card has an icon with a die, numbered from 1 to 6. At the end of a player's turn, the player recruits the ally whose number matches the yellow die. The player may then use the ally on future turns until another player recruits the ally.
Cosmic Run: Regeneration is a highly revised version of a previously Kickstarted game, Cosmic Run. Here's a quick description of the major differences between Cosmic Run: Regeneration (CR:R) and the original Cosmic Run (CR).
- CR:R has a tri-fold board showing 6 planet tracks. CR had 5 individual planet track boards. The 6th planet track has a new mechanism for movement based upon the number of pips on a newly added yellow die.
- CR:R uses "meteor cards" to determine meteor strikes, as opposed to a dice roll. This cuts down on the randomness of meteor strikes and ensures a timely game end.
- CR:R includes a new alien race, the Dahas. They allow a player to take a turn with an extra die.
- In CR:R all alien cards are 1x use. Players no longer need to rotate cards. Also, alien cards are "retired" during the game to score points, instead of scoring at game end. Sets of cards score fewer points as they are turned in, so there is a race to retire aliens early, adding more excitement and decision-making to scoring points with aliens.
- The Monashians now all have the same power, i.e., the power of a virtual die. This streamlines the card powers, making it easier to play.
- In CR:R, Infodere tokens replace the crystal tokens. Some of these are placed on the board and players can acquire them as they move up tracks, making for more interesting movement decisions. Infodere tokens are also gained by Infodere aliens (similar to CR's crystal tokens for Infoderes).
- Much of the graphic design elements are updated.
- The tech card now just collects crystals, so players do not need to move a marker on the tech card.
- The cooperative game has been seriously improved with the use of tool cards and many new rules.
- The solo game has also been improved with new rules.
- CR:R will be a bigger game in a larger box too.
- There are some other minor rule changes as well. Watch this video if interested.
Note that the cover artwork has changed since these videos were made. Also, the videos may reference another game, Waters of Nereus, which was originally planned to be Kickstarted at the same time as this game, but that game will be Kickstarted in the late fall of 2018.
The following is not a review, but a play through by the Painted Meeple.
VIDEO OF COOPERATIVE GAME
The following is not a review, but a video of a co-op version of the game played by the designers.
Dr. Finn's Games offers "flat rate" shipping, so you pay one price for shipping regardless of the number of games. The rate is based on location.
U.S./Canadian/U.K. Backers: The games will be shipped to you from your respective country, so no duties will be required.
E.U. backers: The games are shipped from the U.K. As of now, this means you would not pay any duties either. However, due to Brexit negotiations, it is possible this might change before the time of shipping (though perhaps not?).
All others: The games will ship from the U.S. and you may be responsible for paying import duties and other taxes.
• Get a fun game by a highly regarded game designer. All of Dr. Finn's games receive glowing reviews from members of the board gaming community.
• Receive the Allies expansion at no additional charge. The Allies expansion pack is included inside the copies of the game received by backers of this campaign.
• Help bring this game to existence. If this campaign does not fund, the game very likely will not be made.
• No post-Kickstarter bargain prices. You will not find Dr. Finn's games on sale at online retailers a week (or even months) after a Kickstarter campaign because I do not sell my games to them. I do have my own sales, but I usually wait until the game has been published for a while to do so.
• Great add on prices. This campaign provides an opportunity to get multiple Dr. Finn's games at a great bundle price. Check out the various levels to see the great deals. You can also add games to customize your rewards.
• Support an independent game designer. Dr. Finn's Games is not a big company and will only continue with successful crowdfunding campaigns.
Find out more about the combo games by following these links:
This campaign offers a great opportunity to pick up other great games from Dr. Finn's Games for 1 flat rate shipping price. If you're interested, there are two ways to do so.
DURING THE CAMPAIGN: Decide which games you would like to add, calculate the amount and add it to your pledge. After the campaign, you will use a survey to inform Dr. Finn's Games of your add-on choices.
AFTER THE CAMPAIGN: you can wait until the campaign is over, then decide to add additional items at that time.
LIMITED QUANTITIES WARNING: It is possible, though unlikely, that some of the add on games are oversold during the campaign and backers may not receive some of the add on games requested. In this case, backers would receive a full refund on any add on items not received. Although this is very unlikely, it is a possibility.
*Note: There is a 4-player and a 5-player version of the Little Flower Shop.
PROMO PACKS AVAILABLE AFTER THE CAMPAIGN
Through the pledge manager, after the campaign, backers will be able to order special promotional packs for some of Dr. Finn's older games, such as those for Capo dei Capi and Institute for Magical Arts. Sorry, but promo packs are not available for Herbaceous or Sunset Over Water (as those are no published by Dr. Finn's Games).
SPECIAL OFFERS AFTER THE CAMPAIGN
During this campaign, Dr. Finn will be doing an inventory count of his older games, which are not listed above. Such games may be offered as a late add-on at discounted prices. Also, such games as Herbaceous, Sunset Over Water, and Biblios may also be offered.
Dr. Finn's Games publishes the games of Steve Finn, an independent game designer. Dr. Finn's Games relies heavily on funds raised during Kickstarter campaigns and direct sales to individuals. Thus, your support in this campaign is greatly appreciated.
Reviews of Dr. Finn’s Games have been overwhelmingly positive. In one of his many reviews of a Dr. Finn's game, Richard Ham (”Rahdo Runs Through”) dubbed Dr. Finn the “King of the Filler.” In addition to Cosmic Run: Regeneration, other games from Dr. Finn's are available to backers of this project. Many of these games are low in stock, with reprints very unlikely for a long time, if at all. So, if you're interested in other Dr. Finn's Games, now is a great time to pick them up.
Boardgamegeek.com is a great place to do research on Dr. Finn's Games. Click on the name to go to the BGG page: Biblios, Biblios Dice, Butterfly Garden, Capo dei Capi, Cosmic Run, Cosmic Run: Rapid Fire, Foragers, Herbaceous, The Institute for Magical Arts, Let Them Eat Shrimp, The Little Flower Shop, Slush Fund 2, Sunset Over Water.
Most of the artwork of Cosmic Run: Regeneration comes from the original Cosmic Run, which was illustrated by Lawrence van der Merwe. Lawrence provided two new illustrations for this game: the artwork for the cover and the Daha alien card.
Sebastian Koziner is a graphic designer who has worked with Dr. Finn's Games on many projects and he's done a great job updating the graphic design of this game and using the old artwork to create the game board. His wife, Rocio Ogñenovich, made the main campaign video. Together, they operate OK Art Studio.
Risks and challenges
Please read carefully before backing this project.
DELIVERY AND PAX UNPLUGGED
The game is likely to be manufactured by November and delivered in December. However, it is possible that Dr Finn receives the games in October or early November, which would mean this would be in time for PAX Unplugged. In all previous campaigns, Dr Finn has ensured that backers are the first people to receive the games. However, in this particular case, Dr Finn may wish to show and sell the game at PAX Unplugged, which is usually the only major convention Dr Finn's Games has a booth at. Ideally, the game could be manufactured, shipped and delivered to all backers before this (though this is unlikely). It's also unlikely to have the game for PAX Unplugged. But, if Dr Finn does have it in time, he hopes backers will understand the need for his small business to take advantage of the convention's size to help publicize this game. Also, backers will be allowed to pick up games at PAX Unplugged (if available). This is all speculation and, if too many backers think this is wrong, Dr Finn will not sell the game at PAX.
Game manufacturing and publishing contains a number of risks. For this project, the greatest risks follow from the fact that the packs will be manufactured in China and shipped to the U.S. The most serious threat in this regard concerns quality control over the manufacturing. A more likely threat, though less serious, is the possible delays involved. Dr. Finn's can mitigate both of these concerns. First, I will be using a manufacturer who has produced good results on card projects in the past. Second, I have successfully completed almost all of my Kickstarter campaigns right on time or even early (only 1 project was a few weeks late). If any delays do unexpectedly occur, backers will be notified promptly.
If you receive any rewards that are missing items, please contact me at email@example.com and replacements will be promptly shipped. If the item arrives damaged, you'll receive replacements for whatever is damaged. Please send along a picture, as I may be able to get reimbursed from the shipper. For the past few projects (after switching manufacturers and shipping companies), we've had a very low defect rate (less than 1%).
Refunds are not usually given, unless there is a failure to deliver the games you've requested. However, if you are completely unsatisfied with any game, please contact me and we can discuss it.
LOW QUANTITY ALERT
Some Dr. Finn's games are getting low in stock and it is not feasible to track add-on items during the campaign. It is possible (but unlikely) that there is not enough of a particular game to fulfill all rewards. If this happens, you will be refunded all expenses related to adding that item on.
Unlike many Kickstarter campaigns, Dr. Finn's Games has a great track record of being on time. Of course, unexpected things happen and there is chance that the game will not be shipped on time. I will keep you updated if the unexpected happens.
If you provide an incorrect address or fail to update your address and a shipment is returned, it is your responsibility to pay for the re-shipment.
Please read the shipping section above.
After this campaign you may receive updates on Dr. Finn's Games' other projects. However, such updates will be infrequent.
By backing this project, you acknowledge and accept the risks and challenges just stated.
Thanks! Dr. Finn's GamesLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (20 days)